Centurion Card (UK)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I asked Amex suppport about contactless and was told that all cards should have it. They sent me a new one which, unsurprisingly, isn't contactless. Should I have got a plastic one?

As an aside, is the 'limited edition' print actually worth anything?
I suppose we might get the US style one once its been rolled out. The new design with contactless. Otherwise only the plastic one has contactless. I use ApplyPay anyways which can handle bigger numbers so more useful.

Not sure on the limited edition print.... first I've heard of the artist. Nice enough I suppose though not really my thing. In a cupboard now!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Do you know people that have gotten those private offers? A friend who's literally top 10 on the rich list joked to me he's never gotten a thing more than the basic crap all Centurion get
I've received them on a few of occasions in the past. When Medallion existed they were part of the program (random events one could apply for) and subsequently after it shut down I've had emails/calls from my account manager offering a specific event. Very small number of Cent members attending etc.

To get on the list, its probably simply how much you spend and how long with Cent. I also have top "rich list" acquaintances who have Plats. They just simply don't spend on it enough to have received an invite. Or they have Cent but use company wires or other cards for big ticket items, so again they don't actually spend a huge amount on the card. At least prior to Medallion, the number of Cent spenders hitting 250k+ in the UK was actually surprisingly small.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
If I was that wealthy - I was about 50,000th in the UK last time I looked - I wouldn't give a monkeys about any of that stuff. Why hasn't he got his own Wimbledon debentures for example? I went with Amex this year and the seats were worse than my own Debenture ones.
I'd probably still care - I like a deal or a freebie. Call me cheap! Though others I know don't care now and probably won't in the future.

Unless you can be bothered to sell every seat and bid for 5yr debentures in the first place, unless you are attending every match, with all the money in the world its just easier to purchase a debenture seat when you want it. That said I'd take tickets for free if offered rather than spend 12k on two finals tickets no matter how much money I have.

On an aside, where on earth would you check where you "rank" in the UK? I only thought the Nordics have those kinds of systems! Funny.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:03 pm

Centurion UK Invitation Questions

Hello. I received an envelope with a Centurion UK invitation. I was asked to email a specific address to progress it further, which I have done. However, some aspects of the process appear unusual or cumbersome, at the very least. They mentioned that the process for obtaining the Centurion is different from other cards and requires a 'new' application rather than a more straightforward upgrade. This means that my existing Platinum card would continue alongside the Centurion unless I cancelled it. It would also mean that the membership rewards are not linked and would need to be transferred. The application form requires all supplementary card holders to be added to the application form - wouldn't it just be easier to upgrade the existing account?

1. Have many people have had any luck in getting the 3000 initiation fee waived and, if so, how/when is the best moment to request this?

2. Has anyone been able to get them simply to upgrade the existing account, keeping all supplementary card holders linked.

3. Transfer of membership rewards and maintenance of things like the Membership Rewards Express Points which are linked to my Platinum card.

4. As I hold the BA Premium Plus Amex will the fee for this continue to be waived as it was with the Platinum?
ubiquitous1984 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
No fee waivers possible for initiation but combining mr accounts easy. Never heard of plat fees being waived but perhaps possible?

Last edited by BobbySteel; Feb 15, 2020 at 6:08 am
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: centurion card
Originally Posted by Flyer26
Hello. I received an envelope with a Centurion UK invitation. I was asked to email a specific address to progress it further, which I have done. However, some aspects of the process appear unusual or cumbersome, at the very least. They mentioned that the process for obtaining the Centurion is different from other cards and requires a 'new' application rather than a more straightforward upgrade. This means that my existing Platinum card would continue alongside the Centurion unless I cancelled it. It would also mean that the membership rewards are not linked and would need to be transferred. The application form requires all supplementary card holders to be added to the application form - wouldn't it just be easier to upgrade the existing account?

1. Have many people have had any luck in getting the 3000 initiation fee waived and, if so, how/when is the best moment to request this?

Ive not heard of anyone having this waived.

2. Has anyone been able to get them simply to upgrade the existing account, keeping all supplementary card holders linked.

Normally this is how it works. You make your application and once accepted your platinum account gets upgraded to centurion.

3. Transfer of membership rewards and maintenance of things like the Membership Rewards Express Points which are linked to my Platinum card.

As above, your play account will transfer to a centurion account. Everything will move across automatically.

4. As I hold the BA Premium Plus Amex will the fee for this continue to be waived as it was with the Platinum?
The fee did continue to be waived when I went from plat to centurion back in 2008/9 (and still is)

Hope the above helps.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:01 am

Many thanks, rg77, this is very helpful. I suppose I should simply follow up with the invitation team to finalise what can and can't be done. The invitation letter, however, might be different from the one you received as it specifically said that it is a entirely separate card from the Platinum which would continue to run alongside the Platinum unless I chose to cancel it. They also mentioned that I could then request to transfer the Membership rewards to the new card. This raises the spectre of two membership rewards accounts and all kinds of hassle that would surely be solved if it were simply the same account.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That sounds a bit strange. Separate accounts is unusual. No, they won’t waive the fee.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
What are the exact hotel schemes and levels that you receive with this card?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If you choose to cancel I'd be happy if you refer me to Amex to fill the empty slot, will happily pay
Old Jun 21, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by rg77
The fee did continue to be waived when I went from plat to centurion back in 2008/9 (and still is)

Hope the above helps.
Sounds exactly like my experience last year
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:02 am

First post - piqued by interest in this.

We'd likely go for the business card (if we qualify).

Had an Amex Personal Platinum years ago, traded it over for the BA Amex. Put approx 100k per year through that.

Business platinum we're currently putting 750k / year through (started doing this in November last year), this will increase up to 2m next year.

We've also switched our FX payments to AmEx, this is currently 1.5m / year and will increase to 4m next year. Again started this earlier this year, last quarter was 500k of transactions.

I've let my account manager know that we would be interested in the business Centurion, wonder if anyone can comment if we're approaching the right sort of levels of spend for that one? I presumed it was worthwhile to let them know of our interest, don't know if that's seen as a bad thing...
Old Jul 17, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Okrib

I've let my account manager know that we would be interested in the business Centurion, wonder if anyone can comment if we're approaching the right sort of levels of spend for that one? I presumed it was worthwhile to let them know of our interest, don't know if that's seen as a bad thing...
There is no Business Centurion in the UK. Only Personal (and rumour has it Corporate, though not confirmed).

If you are putting 750k plus p.a. on your personal Platinum card (and not just to buy product stock, i.e. travel, luxury goods, lifestyle, general stuff) I'd expect you would be offered Cent fairly soon.

Oh and welcome to FT!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Okrib

We'd likely go for the business card (if we qualify).

Had an Amex Personal Platinum years ago, traded it over for the BA Amex. Put approx 100k per year through that.

Business platinum we're currently putting 750k / year through (started doing this in November last year), this will increase up to 2m next year.

We've also switched our FX payments to AmEx, this is currently 1.5m / year and will increase to 4m next year. Again started this earlier this year, last quarter was 500k of transactions.

Welcome to FT!

What are you spending the money on?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Hilton H Platinum, SPG Gold, Emirates Gold
Centurion Update

I have had a Centurion Card since 2009 , when they launched in the UK. They called last week to tell me that they are now offering a dedicated 4 person team to handle my account 24 hours a day , rather than the call centre we are used to. I have a direct phone number and email to them. I'm guessing they have renamed the system to give a more personal service. I have just noticed the free Boingo wi-fi service is no more. Wait ng to see what new benefits they offer. I do a lot of travel. apart from the last 4 months so find the lounge access and upgrades on flights and hotels useful. There are offers every month, just saw one saying I get a 100% credit back up to 200 when spent online at Apple, Waitrose , Deliveroo and a few others.
Current benefits are Gold/Platimnum membership to
Virgin Atlantic
Emirates
Heriz Gold
Avis Presidents
Hilton Honours
IHG Rewards
Jumeriah Sirius
Marriott Bonvoy
Melia Rewards
OneFineStay
Radisson
ShangriLA

Attached are some images of the original packaging in 2009

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.