Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by mia
Read here, if you have not already:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...staurants.html
oh cool thanks
Old May 21, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Jay66

When you moved to the US could you leverage your UK Centurion to receive an Invite to the US or did you have to do it the old fashion way by spend and build a new relationship with AmEx US?
A bit of both - TBH, it was an ordeal. There is no direct transfer program for Centurion UK to Centurion US. So I ended up using my BA PP card I have to do Global transfer, and got a Gold card in the US which was helpful as it significantly accelerated by credit profile build as AmEx ported over my history.

Didn't bother me too much as I was still going back to the UK/EU a lot, so not having a US Centurion wasn't too much of an issue. When that travel slowed down and I was spending more time and money in the US, I tried again and it turned into a back and forth conversation between the US and UK at a very high level, bearing in mind at that point I had been a UK Centurion customer for over 15 years. It took a few months, but I was then called and asked if I would like the US card (and they graciously waived the initiation fee). I keep both Centurion accounts in the UK and Us as there is some overlap on benefits/coverage, and some noticeable differences; and for comedy, I still have my US Gold card too as some of the benefits on that are better than the US Centurion (which is weird, as that doesn't happen in the UK).
Old May 22, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Agree with RichardMannion on use of Concierge. Totally worth it, makes my life easier, and a nice guy who knows my prefs etc. My better half and PA also use him for my personal/family related things.

As far as I know at one point Cent UK was unofficially 3-tiered but now is one tier, everyone gets the same. Though there will be "targeted" events, promotions etc. so don't be surprised if one member gets an invite to X but you don't. The philosophy being that no one wants to have a top tier product and then find out they really aren't.... and marketing clients probably didn't like that either! Medallion was tested for two years and discontinued in Q1 of this year.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Since I didn't see a post regarding Centurion UK Criteria transferred in here, the last I heard of are as follows (though these are probably quite old data points). Amex does not publicise the criteria and of course they are not hard and fast rules and Amex can pick and choose whomever they like:

- It is invitation only. You can always call up and state your interest but that doesn't guarantee anything.
- There are no defined number of issuances each year. Amex send invites when they want to. Presumably they control numbers. Like any business they need to be profitable and viable and ensure quality of service.
- To qualify you need to have an Amex history. Generally it was considered that The Platinum Card (charge card) held for at least one year with no issues was a requirement, but it seems from posts above that invites have gone out where a holder had only e.g. a corporate card (?). In any event, if you are going to try and get one, I would personally suggest getting The Platinum Card ASAP (before cost goes up shortly!) and start using..... it is worth using the services, Platinum Travel Service (they get commissions on bookings) and Concierge and the like.
- There used to be an income requirement of c.300k/year but that may have increased and I'm sure is flexible. That said if you spend the levels required you probably earn more than that anyway.
- You will likely have a credit check undertaken and may need to even show proof of income and proof of liquidity (for higher spend thresholds). You may get the invite and subsequently have to undergo a credit check after you have accepted, which seem odd, but its prudent to ensure you aren't spending money that you really don't have.
- Annual spend hurdle at one point was more than 125k p.a. but it wouldn't surprise me if that is now more like 250k+ (the old Medallion threshold). That said if Medallion was considered the upper tier of Centurion, I'm not sure how many Cent holders would qualify today.....
- It is generally believed that use of the card on general day to day purchases is a plus. i.e. spend on travel, luxury goods, starbucks coffees, petrol pumps, is what they like to see. Spending 100k in one month on paper clips not so much. High-end personal spend which they can market to their clients.
- While officially its "unlimited", cards all have some limit. For example if I have more than 100k outstanding in any month, they ask for more financial information from me. I politely decline and pay my card down. With the Plat card it works on some algorithm that your "limit" is 150% of your average highest rolling 3 month spend or something like that. It can take some time to build this up. With the Cent you don't have that so much as they set some higher thresholds I believe. At the end of the day they don't want a Cent declined.....
- The cost today is 3k joining and 2.2k p.a. thereafter. The cost increases sporadically every 5 years or so.

As noted many times on FT, there are always exceptions. Someone who never held an Amex card. Someone who spent 3 on a Green Card last year. I'm sure there is more to these stories. But if you want to have a real go for it, I suggest targeting the above for your best chance of getting an invite.
origin likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YClass
Since I didn't see a post regarding Centurion UK Criteria transferred in here, the last I heard of are as follows .
Thanks for the info its always interesting to hear what the latest requirements are.

Personally I dont use my Amex in coffee shops, I tend to use my HSBC card. But maybe I need to change this plan.

I was the victim of a fraud a few years ago, whilst that has all been dealt with it takes time building history again with companies. It feels strange rebuilding history again, after doing it all when I was younger.

Last edited by mia; May 22, 2019 at 7:22 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 22, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ive been disappointed with how the benefits have not progressed much over the years. If anything, they have regressed, with seemingly more investment going to fluff like more magazines and art shows. I like flipping a glossy magazine as much as the next guy, but it doesnt make me feel any better about putting GBP2.2k towards this card. Meanwhile, I travel a lot in the US (and live here part time), so the lack of airline benefits such as Delta, which is on the US card hurts as do the relatively mediocre hotel and car elite levels. (A global WeWork benefit would be incredible!) There have been a few standout moments from my RM, like securing me a table at French Laundry, but otherwise, I find they just dial up a restaurant like I would, so emailing and waiting around for a response, then emailing back, is just inefficient when I can get the same thing by calling the restaurant directly for 30 seconds from my car. Same with travel, where popping online to book my own flights is just faster and easier. The foreign transaction fee is horrendous, so I never use the card outside the UK, which is a shame. Deplorable that they still charge this on a card for frequent travelers.
origin and JK like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Ive been disappointed with how the benefits have not progressed much over the years. If anything, they have regressed, with seemingly more investment going to fluff like more magazines and art shows. I like flipping a glossy magazine as much as the next guy, but it doesnt make me feel any better about putting GBP2.2k towards this card. Meanwhile, I travel a lot in the US (and live here part time), so the lack of airline benefits such as Delta, which is on the US card hurts as do the relatively mediocre hotel and car elite levels. (A global WeWork benefit would be incredible!) There have been a few standout moments from my RM, like securing me a table at French Laundry, but otherwise, I find they just dial up a restaurant like I would, so emailing and waiting around for a response, then emailing back, is just inefficient when I can get the same thing by calling the restaurant directly for 30 seconds from my car. Same with travel, where popping online to book my own flights is just faster and easier. The foreign transaction fee is horrendous, so I never use the card outside the UK, which is a shame. Deplorable that they still charge this on a card for frequent travelers.
I must agree that the Foreign Transaction Fee is my biggest gripe. And the additional benefit I'd value most is a *A Gold card.

I'd also agree that the Benefits are largely targeted at those who live in London from my experience. As I said, need to know where concierge strengths are - international stuff isn't great. For travel I find him great - secures exactly what I want when I want it.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must agree that the Foreign Transaction Fee is my biggest gripe. And the additional benefit I'd value most is a *A Gold card.

I'd also agree that the Benefits are largely targeted at those who live in London from my experience. As I said, need to know where concierge strengths are - international stuff isn't great. For travel I find him great - secures exactly what I want when I want it.
Do you use your coutts card for the overseas transactions, instead of Amex ?
Old May 23, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by ragsk
I am not sure about different hurdles in different countries but in the hope of providing some clarity here is how/why i got offered it:

I have have had a British Airways American Express points card for about 10 years

I used my BA card day in day out for everything. Really punish it - travel, london tube, coffees, shopping, gifts, holidays, jewellery, watches, restaurants, wine, branded clothes, theatre, shows, musicals etc etc. I probably averaged about 30-35k+ per month on the card. That is without any corporate or company spend - all personal and its hugely diversified and varied.

I never asked them for a Centurion once. Wasn't even on my radar. Got offered it (informal telephone discussion) about 2 years ago and turned it down on the basis that I felt the charges were OTT. Then got offered it again more recently and accepted - I had direct experience of the Centurion service last year when I got stuck in Amsterdam airport due to fog and one of my friends had the card and used it to expedite us out of there and back to London. I was impressed. So when they offered it to me again, I remembered the Amsterdam experience and thought why the heck not !
If you don't mind me asking - Is your annual income considerably more than 360Kpa (the 30K a month x 12)? Does income have to outweigh your spending significantly to be considered? I spend a considerable amount - similar to you a month, however my personal income is very small in comparison as i claim majority back through my work so curious if that is a hindrance to me...
Old May 24, 2019, 2:11 am
Original Poster

I use Amex for international too (too lazy). I get the maths why I shouldnt but I value insurance, benefits and points. Coutts points kind of worthless.

As noted above in my post you want to probably show >300k annual income and they probably ask for proof. So if earn 50k but charge 500k through expenses you wont pass the credit check necessarily. Amex wants to know you can cover their high credit lines when push comes to shove.
origin and ard9719 like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA
I use Amex for international too (too lazy). I get the maths why I shouldnt but I value insurance, benefits and points. Coutts points kind of worthless.

As noted above in my post you want to probably show >300k annual income and they probably ask for proof. So if earn 50k but charge 500k through expenses you wont pass the credit check necessarily. Amex wants to know you can cover their high credit lines when push comes to shove.
Thats a shame as I spend circa that amount, however I appreciate Amexs stance as they need to know I can cover the repayments.

Few more years before Ill be even in with a chance at an invite then
Old May 26, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I spend maybe 15-20k a month gbp and got invite \_(ツ)_/
origin likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Thanks for the info...
Old May 28, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
That isn't surprising - its more than the 125k p.a........
origin likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Do you have the platinum card or another one?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.