Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Card (UK)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Sohan
Do you have the platinum card or another one?
the cashback one only. And a green ICC dollar card I've never used yet.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge the only exceptions would be if to secure hotel benefits I need to pay with a centurion card.

The amex benefits are a bit mixed - they keep a fee tables permanently reserved at a handful of restaurants until 12.00 on the day ( I think ), some of the hotel benefits are good ( MO stands out ) but the club benefits are pretty ( IMO ) worthless - any of the clubs that you would want to get into they can't - 5 Hertford Street, Oswald's etc but they are better than Coutts which is outsourced to 10. One surprising thing is that they can come up with some really good deals on air fares - air france premier was significantly better than anything I could find.

Some of the experiences can be mixed too - I did an orient express dinner that was terrible.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by 137677
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge the only exceptions would be if to secure hotel benefits I need to pay with a centurion card.

The amex benefits are a bit mixed - they keep a fee tables permanently reserved at a handful of restaurants until 12.00 on the day ( I think ), some of the hotel benefits are good ( MO stands out ) but the club benefits are pretty ( IMO ) worthless - any of the clubs that you would want to get into they can't - 5 Hertford Street, Oswald's etc but they are better than Coutts which is outsourced to 10. One surprising thing is that they can come up with some really good deals on air fares - air france premier was significantly better than anything I could find.

Some of the experiences can be mixed too - I did an orient express dinner that was terrible.
interesting re Coutts besides the forex are there any advantages it had?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge.
For a card of that cost and stature (Centurion), you don't think there's a way to get an FX fee waiver with enough persistance/threats to cancel?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

interesting re Coutts besides the forex are there any advantages it had?

Coutts Silk Card is now free ( you used to have to spend £50,000 ) to earn out the fee, there is a reward scheme of sorts which is in the process of being relaunched. At the moment if you spend £75,000 you can redeem the points for a bottle of Dom Perignon P2!

It really is just a charge card that sits alongside your bank account - you can't get the card if you don't bank with coutts. So if such things matter it is arguably in the UK smarter than Centurion.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:54 pm

Got my first Centurion card in last week. So far the concierge is at least pretty good it seems and responds quickly over email which was a big concern for me. The airline and car benefits aren't too useful but I'm hopeful that with flights they will come in handy with complex itineraries. Strangely though for a new York hotel the fhr site had a cheaper price for the same hotel as the concierge pulled. Slightly worrisome.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Got my first Centurion card in last week. So far the concierge is at least pretty good it seems and responds quickly over email which was a big concern for me. The airline and car benefits aren't too useful but I'm hopeful that with flights they will come in handy with complex itineraries. Strangely though for a new York hotel the fhr site had a cheaper price for the same hotel as the concierge pulled. Slightly worrisome.
I usually check americanexpressfhr.com first, then call in. A few times on the call, there's been a 3rd night free or something that wasn't listed on the website.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:34 am

I’ve been trying to get a centurion card but I find it tough to physically spend the required cash ... as a new parent my social life is pretty dead. Other than luxury items like watches and furniture my options are limited. In 2019 I have spent £95k on a car but the dealer wouldn’t take Amex. I bought a small tourer for £15k and they also wouldn’t take the card.

I’m spending £25k on new windows imminently but I’ll be shocked if they take Amex!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ubiquitous1984
I’ve been trying to get a centurion card but I find it tough to physically spend the required cash ... as a new parent my social life is pretty dead. Other than luxury items like watches and furniture my options are limited. In 2019 I have spent £95k on a car but the dealer wouldn’t take Amex. I bought a small tourer for £15k and they also wouldn’t take the card.

I’m spending £25k on new windows imminently but I’ll be shocked if they take Amex!
But Amazon takes amex if your house is like my house, amazon is a regular visitor. It all adds up each month.

With my accounts I spend, well my wife does, amex on products. Then I use the membership rewards points for my mum and sister. They have an account on a amex credit card, and spend my points generated on amazon.

There are dealers who will take amex you need to search for them, first on the amex website then onto the dealer themselves.

(wait until you get a mistress) You could just be nice and buy your wife a necklace instead.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by origin
But Amazon takes amex if your house is like my house, amazon is a regular visitor. It all adds up each month.

With my accounts I spend, well my wife does, amex on products. Then I use the membership rewards points for my mum and sister. They have an account on a amex credit card, and spend my points generated on amazon.

There are dealers who will take amex you need to search for them, first on the amex website then onto the dealer themselves.

(wait until you get a mistress) You could just be nice and buy your wife a necklace instead.
I try to use my amex as a debit card replacement, so amazon etc take a beating with it!

I had good news today in that I can pay for the new windows with Amex ... the bad news is that it’s £5k more than expected (or perhaps I should view that as good news in my quest for a Centurion invite!)

origin likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I have had spend into 7 figures into my personal and business cards, and never received an invite. I wouldn't pay extra just to put charges onto your card in hopes of an invite.

We're currently looking for alternatives to shift our spend away since most of our spend incurs the 3% FX fee (amex probably makes a good 5 figures a year in those commissions) and not even remotely close to an invite it seems.

I think the best bet is either go thru a private bank route if you really want one and pay the slightly higher fees, or just spend in the most cost effective way using your cards and hope for the best with a request on your account.

Last edited by Sohan; Jul 19, 2019 at 5:26 am
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it

Assuming MO = Mandarin Oriental. I wasn't aware of any Centurion benefits with Mandarin Oriental. Can you elaborate, or link to official info please?

mradey
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by YClass
I use Amex for international too (too lazy). I get the maths why I shouldn’t but I value insurance, benefits and points. Coutts points kind of worthless.

As noted above in my post you want to probably show >£300k annual income and they probably ask for proof. So if earn £50k but charge £500k through expenses you won’t pass the credit check necessarily. Amex wants to know you can cover their high credit lines when push comes to shove.
Interesting as I always thought Amex was more interested in spending power than income. Perhaps things have changed. When I got my Centurion card in 1999 my income was less than £3k per month. I had the Platinum for 2 years before and was spending about £10k per month.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have been spending 15k a month on platinum and another 10k a month on BA PP Amex for the past half year, but still no invite
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have been spending 15k a month on platinum and another 10k a month on BA PP Amex for the past half year, but still no invite
my invite came right after opening an ICC card with similar spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.