Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
targeted business platinum

I received a targeted email from business platinum for 75000/$5000, but I have received this card previously. I cannot find a wiki, to see if targeted emails will allow to received another bonus.
thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:58 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by yztim
I received a targeted email from business platinum for 75000/$5000, but I have received this card previously. I cannot find a wiki, to see if targeted emails will allow to received another bonus.
thanks.
Look in the fine print of the targeted offer you received. Sometimes they will include language saying you are not eligible if you've received a sign-up bonus on this card before (same as what appears on public offers), sometimes targeted offers do not contain that language. I can attest that it is possible to get targeted offers which override the usual restriction -- I got a targeted offer on the new Gold card without once-in-a-lifetime language and did indeed receive the sign-up bonus despite having had the Premier Rewards Gold card a few years ago, which is disqualifying for a bonus under standard public offers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by yztim
....cannot find a wiki, to see if targeted emails will allow to received another bonus.
Discussion here:

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nabeelj
My wife applied for a Amex Biz Gold Rewards back in November 2018. She has never held the BGR before. She did not get any pop-up during the application process.

She had signed up for 3 Amex cards between October 2017 and April 2018 with sign-up bonuses, all of which are still open.

She met the minimum spend of $5K and never received the 50K sign-up bonus. I contacted Amex chat and was told she was ineligible for the bonus, and they kept pointing to the T&Cs.

Do I have any recourse for this bait & switch?
Hadn't yet got around to escalating this issue, but the bonus posted today, contrary to what the CSR told me. It seems to be related to this: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...r-now-posting/
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: United 1P
Does anyone have ideas about getting around the restriction? I have never applied to any Marriott cards, but was told that I am not eligible due to the number of accounts opened or closed in the past. I had an Amex Gold account for six years, but closed the account three months ago. I have two other accounts (one gold and one platinum) closed in 2015 and 2016, which was one year after receiving the bonus. I still have one Amex Blue account open since 2015.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by kgkg
Does anyone have ideas about getting around the restriction? I have never applied to any Marriott cards, but was told that I am not eligible due to the number of accounts opened or closed in the past. I had an Amex Gold account for six years, but closed the account three months ago. I have two other accounts (one gold and one platinum) closed in 2015 and 2016, which was one year after receiving the bonus. I still have one Amex Blue account open since 2015.
Use your cards more. I just applied for the regular old Hilton card and am bonus eligible. I’ve had over 25 AMEX cards during the last 10 years.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:22 am

i nevered had hilton card from amex or citi, but when i was told not eligible for bonus when applying.

i heard that it might be due to hving some amex cards but not used often
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
I was on the phone with someone from the retentions department yesterday. I've had the EDP card for 5 years years now, and have gotten some sort of bonus/AF waived each year. There was no offer this time around. The agent, however, mentioned how Amex appreciates my loyalty, etc..

I then took the opportunity to ask him why I've been getting the pop-up SUB denial for cards recently (BBP, Aspire). He didn't know offhand. He put me on hold for a few minutes while he looked into my account. Even though he came back telling me my account was in great standing, all he could offer me as a potential reason was getting too many bonuses from Amex in a 24-month period. He then went on to mention why Amex has put those rules in place that we FT'ers already know (gaming, etc). When I asked him if there was a way to become eligible for SUB's again, he wasn't able to give me a definite answer, but implied that I should give it some time. He also said I should call Amex if I want to apply for a new card and let them know what my intentions for the new card would be, how it would meet my needs, etc.. He used the word "relationship" quite a few times in our conversation. That being said, he did confirm that if you applied over the phone, the agent wouldn't be in a position to confirm whether you'd be denied for the SUB (unlike the online pop-up).

I haven't opened a new Amex in 4 years. That being said, I did open a few Amex cards in the 24-month period before that.

So while I remain slightly optimistic that this "SUB blacklist" will be lifted eventually, the fact that Amex doesn't announce , either officially (Like their own once-in-a-lifetime rule) or unofficially (like the Chase 5/24 rule), what the eligibility parameters are is very disappointing. It seems counterproductive for Amex to say: "You can have the card, just the not the bonus. And only we know the reason why that is."

Furthermore, if this agent is to be believed, then there are many of us who are being penalized after (sometimes WAY AFTER) the fact, even though we followed their rules.

I've always thought that if CC companies want to inspire loyalty and cut down on churning, they would restructure the SUB and AF's so as to reward users who keep the card after the first year.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:28 am

Interesting, neos. About how much would you say you spend on AmEx per year?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:26 am

Applied for the BBP because I finally got a sign-up referral bonus - no instant approval and I got an instant decline:
The reason for our decision is that you have reached the maximum number and type of Cards that we will approve within the period of a few months. Please know that your prior application(s) has been approved and your Card has been sent to you. If you have not already done so, you can confirm you have received your Card at americanexpress.com/confirmcard or by calling the phone number on the back of your Card. You may then use your Card immediately and start enjoying the benefits of Card Membership.
Did I hit the max card limit? Got approved for a card in January and one in March? Should I try again in a few months?

Went back 4 pages and didn't see a better thread to ask this in...

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:44 am

lax01 But are you saying you got an instant decline for the card, but it said your application was approved and the card was sent? I'm confused.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:41 pm

Interesting.. just got the pop up too..
I have the ED Card for over 4 years with min. usage.
SPG Biz Card for close to 3 years.
Received the Brilliant card on April 5th and close to meeting min spend. Just got the pop up for the Gold Card and canceled. Never had the Gold Card before.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lax01
Applied for the BBP because I finally got a sign-up referral bonus - no instant approval and I got an instant decline:

Did I hit the max card limit? Got approved for a card in January and one in March? Should I try again in a few months?

Went back 4 pages and didn't see a better thread to ask this in...

Thanks!
AMEX 2/90 rule allows you to apply for two credit cards within 90 days. If you apply for a third within that 90 day window, it's auto-declined. You didn't say which cards you got in Jan and March but that's best guess based upon the information you've provided.
lax01 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
lax01 But are you saying you got an instant decline for the card, but it said your application was approved and the card was sent? I'm confused.
No, when I applied, it didn't get instant approval (which was a first) and went into "review" - I think got an email a minute later with the decline and the reason stating too many cards - guess I will wait

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
AMEX 2/90 rule allows you to apply for two credit cards within 90 days. If you apply for a third within that 90 day window, it's auto-declined. You didn't say which cards you got in Jan and March but that's best guess based upon the information you've provided.
Both credit cards then SPG Biz and Everyday Preferred - forgot about this rule - thanks
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:21 am

AMEX denied bonus

Has anyone ran into the situation in which you got approved for an AMEX credit card (didn't get any pop-up about ineligibility of the bonus) only to find out that you will not receive the bonus offer due to too many open/close accounts?

Any way around this or we're just OUT OF LUCK? If we knew about it ahead of the time, wouldn't have to proceed with the application and paying the annual fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.