Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When one goes to AMEX card selection page and click one of them, you see in BIG letters various bonuses, with lots of "daggers and double daggers" which should lead to the specific T&Cs, but there are NONE. To find T&Cs you have to do a different search.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
On this page....

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...reward-points/

I see Offer Benefit and Terms at the bottom of each card listing. When I click that I see: Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

What do you see different?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
On this page....

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...reward-points/

I see Offer Benefit and Terms at the bottom of each card listing. When I click that I see: Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

What do you see different?
I log into my amex accts via https://card.americanexpress.com/ame...SAAEgKrlPD_BwE in the upper right corner is a "login" button, but on that page is a HUGE list of AMEX cards, clicking, say, HILTON ASPIRE 150,000 in big letters appears with a "dagger" which leads nowhere. I'm not sure of why MSEDGE sends me to the page I referenced above...but it does.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:01 pm
mia

If I have followed your instructions correctly, I am looking at the same page, and nothing in the ad is clickable in Chrome aside from [Apply Now], and two links directly below the button which display the terms. The daggers direct us to those links.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Specific provision? Has she gone past the front line agents, who will often invent an explanation that could be true, but isn't actually the basis for a specific decision.
I'll have to coach her through escalating this. Will try and do so in the near future.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
There is a report on another forum today of someone who was denied an AMEX bonus because AMEX claimed the reimbursed airline incidental purchase did not count toward meeting MSR. (If this indeed a policy, it's new AFAIK.)

In theory, then, that would hold true for Saks purchases that are reimbursed and GrubHub credits as well. May be wise, going forward, to exceed MSR by the amount of your cumulative reimbursed credits.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... wise, going forward, to exceed MSR by the amount of your cumulative reimbursed credits.
I think this has always been prudent, but the story sounds like the sort of "explanation" that a front line customer service agent would invent to justify a denial when they do not know the actual reason. It could be true, but I would want to read a pattern of confirming reports.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:19 pm

Should I try for this?

I just got an offer on the Amex website to upgrade my no-fee Hilton card to the Aspire with 150k reward offer after 4k spend in 3 months. I really want to do this but I'm hesitating due to some recent history with Amex, mainly:
  • Cancelled personal Gold Delta in January 2019. Only had one year.
  • Downgraded Hilton Ascend to no-fee Hilton in February 2019 (which was an upgrade of the no fee Hilton a year ago). Only had one year. This is the card that has the upgrade offer.
I do have an open and very actively used Everyday Preferred which I've had for almost 2 years. No other Amex cards besides the no-fee Hilton. I also have several other cards open at other banks, but I haven't applied for a new card at any bank (sans the upgrade mentioned above) since June 2017.

Any idea what my chances are on receiving this bonus, or should I wait since I just very recently closed two Amex cards I only had open for one year? I did click on the offer to check it out, where it has a second "Request Upgrade" button. Is this where I would have gotten the pop-up? I know no popup doesn't mean I'll get the bonus, but I'm hesitant to push the last button because I just cancelled two of their annual fee cards.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mera
I just got an offer on the Amex website to upgrade....

Is this where I would have gotten the pop-up? I know no popup doesn't mean I'll get the bonus,....
The popup may appear during an application for a new account. Accepting an upgrade offer is not an application. No new account is created.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The popup may appear during an application for a new account. Accepting an upgrade offer is not an application. No new account is created.
Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by mera
Any idea what my chances are on receiving this bonus, or should I wait since I just very recently closed two Amex cards I only had open for one year? I did click on the offer to check it out, where it has a second "Request Upgrade" button. Is this where I would have gotten the pop-up? I know no popup doesn't mean I'll get the bonus, but I'm hesitant to push the last button because I just cancelled two of their annual fee cards.
So even if you get the targeted email for the upgrade bonus, they might not honor the bonus? I had read some cases where people that were applying for a new card didn't get the pop up, and still didn't get the bonus. But this happens on targeted upgrades as well?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jaunts
So even if you get the targeted email for the upgrade bonus, they might not honor the bonus? I had read some cases where people that were applying for a new card didn't get the pop up, and still didn't get the bonus. But this happens on targeted upgrades as well?
I was in the midst of getting pop ups, but I got an Ascend --> Aspire upgrade offering 150K points for spending 4k in 3 months. No pop-ups, no issues, got the bonus. Not sure anyone would get a pop up from this, because it isn't an application for new credit / a new card. My details are back in this thread somewhere. I verified multiple times through the process of this that I would get the bonus with AMEX, as well.
Jaunts likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:21 pm

based on your history you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer

Hello All,

I was recently targeted for AMEX Plat 100,000 offer, both via CreditMatch or directly via AMEX website. I only had Amex Gold personal and business in the past, yet when I try to apply I get "based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer", it's worth noting that I had both cards for ~24 months and only had them once - no churning or ms.

Is there anything I can do about this? Anyone in Amex to contact and get this checked?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How long ago did you close those two cards?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How long ago did you close those two cards?
3-4 years ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.