Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Because this is a no-fee airline card that they gave me instead of cancelling for which i have not received any bonuses? Its not like they are losing any money on it.
That is not reflective of the spending habit I would have on a high-fee general purpose credit card. I mean, they cant realistically expect ppl to put a big spend on a no-fee hotel/airline card. Doesnt seem like a good business strategy to shut out potential big spending due to a no-fee branded card.

And does that mean it is better to cancel a card altogether? they would still have ur spend history on that card cancelled or not, and therefore, could deny u future bonuses based on a closed card? maybe is it better to keep it open so that at least you can remedy that by putting spend on it?

Anyone has data points of being denied bonuses for having a sock-drawered no fee card only?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linaseta
What if I only have a no-fee Delta card that I havent used. Will that cause the pop-up to come up if I decide to open other cards?
It did for me (with a no-fee everyday). I charged $900 to it, waited for the statement to close, and the pop-disappeared.

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Thats the thing. You don’t use it. So why would they give you another card to keep in the drawer?
I'm not sure I follow this logic, but it seems to be the logic that Amex is using.

They would approve you for a different card because the different card has different benefits and didn't bonus categories. Just because your are not using the old one doesn't mean that you won't use the new one.

It's not like I'm going to start using my everyday now that I have the Plat. I spend a decent amount on airfare though, so I will use the Plat (and continue to do so, regularly, even once I have met the spend for the bonus) I'll charge about $20k to $30k of airfare / year to it (and that spend was previously going to my CSR)

Why would they assume that the spend on the everyday card is a predictor of my spend on the Plat? They are completely different cards. By that logic Amex should only have a single card. They have multiple cards because they know that different cards are useful to people with different spending patterns.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It did for me (with a no-fee everyday). I charged $900 to it, waited for the statement to close, and the pop-disappeared.
Do you really have to wait for a credit statement to close or does Amex get a current "screenshot" of ur account?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really have to wait for a credit statement to close or does Amex get a current "screenshot" of ur account?
I have no clue. I didn't want to have too many aborted applications (I already had two) so I just waited until my statement closed.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I'm not sure I follow this logic, but it seems to be the logic that Amex is using.

They would approve you for a different card because the different card has different benefits and didn't bonus categories. Just because your are not using the old one doesn't mean that you won't use the new one.

It's not like I'm going to start using my everyday now that I have the Plat. I spend a decent amount on airfare though, so I will use the Plat (and continue to do so, regularly, even once I have met the spend for the bonus) I'll charge about $20k to $30k of airfare / year to it (and that spend was previously going to my CSR)

Why would they assume that the spend on the everyday card is a predictor of my spend on the Plat? They are completely different cards. By that logic Amex should only have a single card. They have multiple cards because they know that different cards are useful to people with different spending patterns.
No one knows the real answer other than the IT guy programming the logic into the system. But generally if you have one of my cards and don’t use it. Vs someone else who does use it. Who would I trust more?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Because this is a no-fee airline card that they gave me instead of cancelling for which i have not received any bonuses? Its not like they are losing any money on it.
That is not reflective of the spending habit I would have on a high-fee general purpose credit card. I mean, they cant realistically expect ppl to put a big spend on a no-fee hotel/airline card. Doesnt seem like a good business strategy to shut out potential big spending due to a no-fee branded card.

And does that mean it is better to cancel a card altogether? they would still have ur spend history on that card cancelled or not, and therefore, could deny u future bonuses based on a closed card? maybe is it better to keep it open so that at least you can remedy that by putting spend on it?

Anyone has data points of being denied bonuses for having a sock-drawered no fee card only?
I do have a no-fee Blue card that has been sock-drawered for ages (like, over a decade), which is still open and appears on my Amex.com account. And I have gotten a few bonuses from Amex since the pop-up era began. So having an inactive card is not necessarily a problem. But, it probably helps that I have several other active cards that I put a lot of spend on (high 5 figures each year), and I'm not sure if there's some sort of distinction between a "deep" inactive card and a more recent inactive card. I don't think there was a sign-up bonus on that card when I first got it, but even if there were, Amex would likely have fully written it off by now anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bgriff
I do have a no-fee Blue card that has been sock-drawered for ages (like, over a decade), which is still open and appears on my Amex.com account. And I have gotten a few bonuses from Amex since the pop-up era began. So having an inactive card is not necessarily a problem. But, it probably helps that I have several other active cards that I put a lot of spend on (high 5 figures each year), and I'm not sure if there's some sort of distinction between a "deep" inactive card and a more recent inactive card. I don't think there was a sign-up bonus on that card when I first got it, but even if there were, Amex would likely have fully written it off by now anyway.

Right. You just said. You spend money with AMEX. if you had Amex card(s) and don’t spend on any of them why would they give you another one. You have 1 out of several that you don’t spend. That’s not an issue.

the person I was quoting I thought said they had one card. And never use it. Now trying to get another. There lies the problem.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Right. You just said. You spend money with AMEX. if you had Amex card(s) and don’t spend on any of them why would they give you another one. You have 1 out of several that you don’t spend. That’s not an issue.

the person I was quoting I thought said they had one card. And never use it. Now trying to get another. There lies the problem.
I think there have also been some cases of people who got the pop-up who do some spend on one or more Amex cards, but also have one or more sock-drawered cards, though. Not sure. And not sure how much "some spend" is for them, either.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Forgive me if this question is in the wrong thread:

Are there any data points on re-obtaining a card product that has been recently 'refreshed' and successfully obtaining the SUB?

I currently have a Delta Platinum card and was considering canceling so that I could re-apply for it in a few months with the 'enhanced' benefits and annual fee. I've had the card for over 10 years, so not sure if I would be denied for the once per lifetime per product limitation.

Anyone have experience?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Forgive me if this question is in the wrong thread:

Are there any data points on re-obtaining a card product that has been recently 'refreshed' and successfully obtaining the SUB?

I currently have a Delta Platinum card and was considering canceling so that I could re-apply for it in a few months with the 'enhanced' benefits and annual fee. I've had the card for over 10 years, so not sure if I would be denied for the once per lifetime per product limitation.

Anyone have experience?
You won't get the sign up bonus. This is the current language in the DL Platinum card offer:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this or previous versions of this Card.
This is the same as when Amex refreshed the Green, the Gold, etc.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You won't get the sign up bonus. This is the current language in the DL Platinum card offer:

This is the same as when Amex refreshed the Green, the Gold, etc.
If you had *cancelled* this card 10 years ago (or, the experience seems to be, at least ~7 years ago) it drops out of Amex's history and you would be eligible. But that doesn't work if you got a SUB 10 years ago and just cancel it now.

Every once in a while Amex will send targeted offers that omit the "once in a lifetime" language (I got one when they introduced the new Gold card, despite having had the predecessor Preferred Rewards Gold card a few years ago), but that's not something you can count on getting.

If you haven't had a Reserve card before, you could sign up for that one anew and get the sign-up bonus, with or without cancelling your existing card. If you did cancel your existing card you could then product-change the Reserve into a Platinum after a year. If you are eligible for small business cards, you could also sign up for a new business Platinum or Reserve card (or potentially even both) independent of your existing card.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
FWIW, I get DL Gold offers with no lifetime language a few times a year, despite having had the card before and despite not crediting revenue travel to Delta in several years. No guarantees, but I’m guessing your odds of being targeted are pretty good if you cancel and wait a while.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Rokosz
Not certain its stated definitively here, at least reviewing back to November posts, but having received a pop up on an Amex app this evening (Bonvoy Brilliant, a card I've never held, nor did I ever have the SPG Luxury card) and then logging out and revisiting amex.com to apply in incognito mode where a pop up did NOT appear prior to applying, am I good to receive the bonus or not? The terms and conditions that I was sure to save as a PDF, state a 75,000 point bonus is inclusive to my approval. I went into a little lull with Amex spend the last two months, but just today put about $200 on my Aspire and +/- $600 on my Gold. I didn't see any credit monitoring notices for a HP - so maybe it was still a SP? Any insight would put me at ease. Thanks FT community!
Were you successful using this approach?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
"based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees."

My spouse just received this message when applying for her 4th Amex. The others are actively used and have been open for many years.She has no history of opening/closing for bonuses or balance transfers. FICO is 840,so no issue there either.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:14 pm

Been an Amex member since 2003, currently, I have 2 actives cards, Gold and Business Plus. I use both cards every month. Earlier today, I was trying to apply for the Hilton Aspire card, and I got the

"based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees."

I tried Incognito mode on Chrome and I still got the same message. I called Amex rep. and he basically had no explanation. I don't know what else to try to get that welcome bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.