FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:17 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linaseta
What if I only have a no-fee Delta card that I havent used. Will that cause the pop-up to come up if I decide to open other cards?
It did for me (with a no-fee everyday). I charged $900 to it, waited for the statement to close, and the pop-disappeared.

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Thats the thing. You don’t use it. So why would they give you another card to keep in the drawer?
I'm not sure I follow this logic, but it seems to be the logic that Amex is using.

They would approve you for a different card because the different card has different benefits and didn't bonus categories. Just because your are not using the old one doesn't mean that you won't use the new one.

It's not like I'm going to start using my everyday now that I have the Plat. I spend a decent amount on airfare though, so I will use the Plat (and continue to do so, regularly, even once I have met the spend for the bonus) I'll charge about $20k to $30k of airfare / year to it (and that spend was previously going to my CSR)

Why would they assume that the spend on the everyday card is a predictor of my spend on the Plat? They are completely different cards. By that logic Amex should only have a single card. They have multiple cards because they know that different cards are useful to people with different spending patterns.