Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
And, you've never (within the past 7 or 8 years) ever had or product changed into the Plat Charge? While this may not always work, wait a week or so, then use a browser with cookies cleared with a different IP (use a VPN if you have to) and try again.

Not suggesting this will work, but worth a shot, in my view.
Nope, never a product change. Just the Gold (PRG to be exact -- back then there were 2 different golds) which I closed after a year, and the everyday which I just left open). That is my lifetime Amex history.

Honestly until I found out about this IAP thing I never had much interest in Amex. I really like the CSR. But now I'm kicking myself for not opening it last year before I bought those 2 tickets.

Anyway I'll definitely do the spend at Ferragamo on my Everyday, let the statement close, and then try again.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
From the data in this thread, definitely charge your existing Amex a few times and try again.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have had two Amex card in my life. I opened a Gold card for the SUB several (5?) years ago. I had no real use for the card so I closed after a year. I also opened an Everyday at that time. I never use it; I just keep it open so my points don't go anywhere.

I just realized that I spend significant money on premium cabin international travel, so I wanted to get the Platinum for the IAP fares. It seems like it could save me a thousand or two per year (last year I bought a BA F fare for $4500 and a JL J fare for $3k. Had I had the card I would probably have saved much more than the AF in just those 2 trips)

Anyway so I went to the web page, and saw a 70k pt offer. Not spectacular but whatever. Unfortunately I got the popup.

Now, if I just can't get the bonus no matter what I'll get the card anyway. Like I said, I think it pays for itself and then some with IAP. Right now most of my spend goes on my CSR and my Hyatt card (also Chase). I'll probably move my travel spend to the Platinum for the 5x MR pts.

But, if I can get the bonus, of course I want to. There are 2 things I could see blocking it.

First is the fact that I put no spend on my Everyday, as mentioned in this thread. Right now I have an offer for $150 statement credit on $750 spend at salvatore ferragamo. I had already added the offer to my card and planned to use it, do I'll definitely do that, which will give me some spend.

The other thing is, I was churning Citi AA cards last year. I opened 6 from about Dec 2018 to Aug 2019. When my first AF was about to be due, I closed all 6 on the same day. This was about 2 weeks ago. There is nothing I can do about that -- it's done.

My question is... have people gotten the pop-up based on churning other (not Amex) cards? In retrospect 6 closures in 1 day probably looks bad.

I don't mind putting another thousand or so in spend on the Everyday (in addition to the Ferragamo offer) to see if that works, but I don't want to chase it if my Citi record is going to stop me from ever getting the bonus -- I'll just take the card without the bonus in that case.
Might be a long shot, but if the Schwab Amex Plat has the IAP program as well, maybe try to apply for that one. You can become a Schwab customer for free, and even get their valuable, free checking account with international ATM fee reimbursement. I realize this Plat probably has the same pop-up criteria as the regular Plat, but worth a try.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Gold, Southwest A-List Preferred, Bonvoy Gold
Not certain its stated definitively here, at least reviewing back to November posts, but having received a pop up on an Amex app this evening (Bonvoy Brilliant, a card I've never held, nor did I ever have the SPG Luxury card) and then logging out and revisiting amex.com to apply in incognito mode where a pop up did NOT appear prior to applying, am I good to receive the bonus or not? The terms and conditions that I was sure to save as a PDF, state a 75,000 point bonus is inclusive to my approval. I went into a little lull with Amex spend the last two months, but just today put about $200 on my Aspire and +/- $600 on my Gold. I didn't see any credit monitoring notices for a HP - so maybe it was still a SP? Any insight would put me at ease. Thanks FT community!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rokosz
Not certain its stated definitively here, at least reviewing back to November posts, but having received a pop up on an Amex app this evening (Bonvoy Brilliant, a card I've never held, nor did I ever have the SPG Luxury card) and then logging out and revisiting amex.com to apply in incognito mode where a pop up did NOT appear prior to applying, am I good to receive the bonus or not?
While there aren't any assurances and I'm only speculating, but based on my prior experience and what I know of Amex applications, yes. When you receive your card, if the bonus language is absent in your welcome packet, then call and confirm with the CSR before meeting your spend requirement.
Rokosz likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Might be a long shot, but if the Schwab Amex Plat has the IAP program as well, maybe try to apply for that one. You can become a Schwab customer for free, and even get their valuable, free checking account with international ATM fee reimbursement. I realize this Plat probably has the same pop-up criteria as the regular Plat, but worth a try.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if putting some spend on the Everyday doesn't help.

I'll also try the incognito mode trick mentioned in other posts.

The thing is, I'm NOT trying to churn this card. I want it for the benefits, and I will put a decent amount of spend on it. But of course I want my points too.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:37 am

Since Amex has gone to once per lifetime (7 -8 years in practice), they couldn't care less about churning, since you can't anyway. While speculating, I'm think yours "may" have been a false positive, especially since you've never had the Plat.

Once per lifetime, of course one should not only get a bonus but hold out for the largest one possible.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Since Amex has gone to once per lifetime (7 -8 years in practice), they couldn't care less about churning, since you can't anyway. While speculating, I'm think yours "may" have been a false positive, especially since you've never had the Plat.

Once per lifetime, of course one should not only get a bonus but hold out for the largest one possible.
I'm not sure the holding out makes sense in this case. Not having access to IAP most likely cost me well over $1000 last year. I definitely want this card before I book my next premium cabin international flight on one of their partners.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:59 am

I'm not sure the holding out makes sense in this case. Not having access to IAP most likely cost me well over $1000 last year. I definitely want this card before I book my next premium cabin international flight on one of their partners.
Right. It'll be almost as if get one for free. The 70K public offer now is pretty good. The highest had been 150K (that I've seen), but those were highly targeted and from several years ago. Sometimes, they have 100K promos, but those aren't too common.

For me, I'd take the 70K in a heartbeat. And, even if I weren't eligible for a bonus, depending on expected premium cabin flight purchases, I may even take it sans bonus.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:11 am

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if putting some spend on the Everyday doesn't help.

The thing is, I'm NOT trying to churn this card. I want it for the benefits, and I will put a decent amount of spend on it. But of course I want my points too.
Good luck!

I actually applied for the 70K Plat offer yesterday but I got the pop-up. I do not want it as much as you though, so I see your dilemma.

And for what it's worth. I have never seen incognito do anything other than reveal different (better) offers. The AMEX site obviously does the pop-up as it seems you are aware.

The targeted Delta Amex offers I got emailed/snailed last year were an exception because I did not get the pop-up with those, but that is a pre-approval/selection situation that allows you to get the bonus even if you had the same card before so definitely not the same thing.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
And for what it's worth. I have never seen incognito do anything other than reveal different (better) offers. The AMEX site obviously does the pop-up as it seems you are aware.
Interesting. When I go incognito I see the base 60k offer. I tried several ways: private tab on FF mobile, FF Focus, Incognito on Chrome on Macbook, Private window on FF on Macbook. All just showed the base 60k Maybe I need a different IP address. I can try from LTE instead of home wifi, and from work wifi too. And I guess I can always stop by a Starbucks and try their WiFi too...
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:37 am

Interesting. When I go incognito I see the base 60k offer. I tried several ways: private tab on FF mobile, FF Focus, Incognito on Chrome on Macbook, Private window on FF on Macbook. All just showed the base 60k Maybe I need a different IP address. I can try from LTE instead of home wifi, and from work wifi too. And I guess I can always stop by a Starbucks and try their WiFi too...
Yeah. Keep trying. Others here might be more savvy with helping you make it appear.

And I maybe should have worded things differently. I do not see incognito always reveal a better offer, but I more meant (in case anyone was thinking this) that I have never seen incognito help circumvent the pop-up. It either displays the same offer, but often a better offer (targeted towards hopefully a non-existing Amex customer).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:40 pm

I just got the message for an aspire application today. Here are some data points.

current amex cards: 2 (blue, hilton)
cards opened in the past year: 0
cards opened in the past 2 years: 0
cards closed in the past year: 1 (hilton superpass)

2019 yearly spend on cards:
blue: $3450
hilton: $840
superpass: $3075

so not huge spend amounts, but not exactly sock drawer material. I use generally for my grocery store spend. The interesting thing is my wife was approved and we applied for and closed the superpass cards at the same time. We also do not have more than 1 card in the past 24 months. Just really strange.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DP:

- Got the popup for Plat twice in the past 2 weeks
- Put ~$1k spend on Everyday card (previously sock drawer for ~1-2 years)
- Statement closed yesterday; paid today
- Tried various browsers until "just for you" 70k pts offer popped up
- Reapplied; no popup; approved instantly

Is there any way to confirm that I actually will get the 70k pts? Will it be in the terms when the card arrives? I'm slightly paranoid that Amex will claim that I wasn't eligible.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 20, 2020 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:21 am

Is there any way to confirm that I actually will get the 70k pts? Will it be in the terms when the card arrives? I'm slightly paranoid that Amex will claim that I wasn't eligible.
I've received cards both with and without the bonus terms specified. When the bonus isn't mentioned, I just call to activate the card, and then speak with a CSR to confirm the bonus before starting on my spend requirement. My best guess is if the popup didn't appear, you're fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.