Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
...assuming the card grants the cardholder free checked luggage regardless of payment type (which cards allow this?)...
See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...gage-fees.html

There does not seem to be anything theoretical about the lounge access case. AA, DL and UA all bundle lounge access with a card, it's typically less expesive than buying a membership, they don't give complementary lounge access to most flyers on domestic routes, regardless of class of service, and none accept Priority Pass.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks mia. So just UA of the 3 main US carriers.

So anyone holding a AA or DL card just for the complementary baggage?

There does not seem to be anything theoretical about the lounge access case. AA, DL and UA all bundle lounge access with a card, it's typically less expesive than buying a membership, they don't give complementary lounge access to most flyers on domestic routes, regardless of class of service, and none accept Priority Pass.
Aren't those cards providing more than a few passes upwards of $300 or more annually? And those who are able to use the lounges enough times to offset the card's annual fee should gain lounge access via flying status?

How large is the "window" between when a card provides nonimal benefit (for those that fly infrequently) and when the card provides no benefit (for those that fly frequently)?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I saw the press release from AMEX today officially confirming the 5x. However, I don't see this benefit listed anywhere on the website. Has anyone else seen anything in marketing materials or via your account?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Sure, the above are theoretical examples where it may sense but I'm having a hard time imagining real examples/situations where your examples would occur.

Take the baggage example, assuming the card grants the cardholder free checked luggage regardless of payment type (which cards allow this?), one needs to fly 2 RT(?) to break even on the annual fee. Are there people holding a card flying more 3 RT to save ~$50 net of annual fees?
Uh...I'm just looking at this now since I never really thought of AXP as a card that I would really want to spend on...mostly for benefits... and just realizing that the number of big 3 US airlines is limited to Delta. Not AA and Not UA. So the points do really nothing for me since I don't fly Delta and mostly AA/UA.

Please tell me I'm wrong...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:42 pm

Both cards also provide Group 1 Boarding, which is valuable for semi-frequent but non-elite fliers (more likely to get overhead bin space). AA's lower-rung card also provides a 10% rebate on redeemed miles, up to 100k miles spent (so a 10k mile rebate) per year.

Aren't those cards providing more than a few passes upwards of $300 or more annually? And those who are able to use the lounges enough times to offset the card's annual fee should gain lounge access via flying status?
Neither AA nor UA give complimentary lounge access to top-tier elites; just discounted membership (and it's not much of a discount). The fee for all three of them is $450/year. With UA and AA you receive a full club membership and do not need to be flying the host airline to gain club entry. DL's Reserve card only grants access when flying DL (the same as AmEx Platinum cards).

How large is the "window" between when a card provides nonimal benefit (for those that fly infrequently) and when the card provides no benefit (for those that fly frequently)?
For a frequent domestic flyer you'd only gain more value out of the card the more you fly, as there is no "free" way to gain lounge access from being a frequent flier. Personally I am quite happy to pay for my Citi Exec card, I fly AA often enough that it is more than worth it, and I love that I can make friends/family members AUs and they have club access/guesting privileges as well.

Edit: Apparently DL gives SkyClub membership to Diamond elites!

Last edited by bodiddely; Oct 5, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Sure, the above are theoretical examples where it may sense but I'm having a hard time imagining real examples/situations where your examples would occur.

Take the baggage example, assuming the card grants the cardholder free checked luggage regardless of payment type (which cards allow this?), one needs to fly 2 RT(?) to break even on the annual fee. Are there people holding a card flying more 3 RT to save ~$50 net of annual fees?
Delta Reserve and Platinum card(s) where you could practically achieve Diamond status through spending, plus get free domestic companion tickets -- first for Reserve and coach for Platinum.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:47 pm
mia

... upwards of $300 or more annually? And those who are able to use the lounges enough times to offset the card's annual fee should gain lounge access via flying status?
The cards cost $450. Individual lounge visits cost ~$55, so ~8 visits per year is the breakeven?

AA does not provide complimentary Admirals Club access to passengers based on status, except when flying on an international routes. See this Wikipost and read:
For AA status-based access (PLT or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in Mexico), and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.
DL provides an individual Skyclub membership only for Diamond status. To earn Diamond requires: 125,000 MQMs -or- 140 MQSs -and- $15,000 MQDs. I think it is safe to assume that there are many Delta fliers who travel often enough to value lounge access, but not enough to reach Diamond status.

UA I am not sufficiently familiar with the program.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JHake10
Has anyone else seen anything in marketing materials or via your account?
Would not expect anything until 10.6.2016.

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Not AA and Not UA. So the points do really nothing for me since I don't fly Delta and mostly AA/UA.

Please tell me I'm wrong...
Facts right. Conclusion wrong.. Read this Wikipost to understand how to redeem Membership Rewards points for travel on any OneWorld, Skyteam or Star Alliance carrier including AA and UA.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't, but my Mom does. She has the Gold DL Amex mainly for the bag waiver as she flies DL almost exclusively and as the result of an injury can't lift a carry on into the overhead without pain so she just checks a bag every time.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've got an even better reason:

Someone who values those airline's miles much more than the transfer choices from MR.

You can't earn any amount of AA miles with 5x on MR.

You can't earn any amount of AS (Alaska) mles with 5x on MR (unless you're willing to wait for the Virgin America merger to result in a VX->AS conversion rate you're happy with).

You can't earn any amount of UA miles with 5x on MR.

You can't earn toward Southwest (WN) companion passes with 5x on MR.

And not everyone is experienced enough to know how to navigate all the overseas airlines that are MR partners to book awards on these domestic airlines at a reasonable rate. (Yes, there are resources here on FT to help you learn that, but if you're talking about the card audience in general, and not just FT users, that's a factor, isn't it?)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by lkar
But the credit card companies apparently have extensive research on the value of moving their card to the top of your wallet. All of these 3x and quarterly 5x category cards are loss leaders in their bonus categories. Even the everyday cards try to promote this behavior with bonuses on categories that are regular purchases like gas or groceries so that the card is always near the top in your wallet.
I can see how a category like groceries or gas would encourage people to move the card to the top of their wallet, because those are everyday categories that you use regularly, sometimes without advance warning. But for a category like airlines, there's no need to put the card in your wallet. You can just keep it at your desk where you book flights from, or save it to your airline profile and forget about it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Both cards also provide Group 1 Boarding, which is valuable for semi-frequent but non-elite fliers (more likely to get overhead bin space). AA's lower-rung card also provides a 10% rebate on redeemed miles, up to 100k miles spent (so a 10k mile rebate) per year.
Those two reasons plus the free checked baggage up to 4 passengers on the same PNR are why I keep my AA Red Aviator card and pay the $89 annual fee.

I also get $10k AA miles a year because I was grandfathered in under the old US Air card so paying the annual fee is a no brainer for me.

Not everything for me has to be about points and a multiplier and I think being too caught up in that aspect causes folks to lose the sight of the forest for the trees.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
I kept the AA Biz card after the first year. I fly with my family of 4 at least once per year with at least 2 checked bags, so this pays for the AF right there.

I fly on AA about 3-4 times a year by myself and the Group 1 boarding comes in pretty handy.

I've been using the Prestige to purchase due to the delay protection (3 hrs), but I might have to switch to the Platinum for 5x.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:36 am
mia

Terms of the BUSINESS Platinum features have been published. Note that the 1.5 point earnings on $5,000+ transactions is capped:

1.5X Membership Rewards® Points

You get 1.5 Membership Rewards® points per dollar (that's an extra one-half point per dollar) for each single qualifying purchase transaction of $5,000 or more made with your Business Platinum Card®.For example, for a single qualifying purchase transaction of $5,000, you will get an extra 2,500 points. These extra points are in addition to any points you already get from using the Card. You can get a maximum of 1,000,000 extra points associated with this benefit per calendar year per account.

You will not get the extra points associated with this benefit if American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the benefit. For example, a purchase transaction of $5,000 or more will not qualify if the merchant divides the purchase into transactions of less than $5,000 before providing the information to American Express. Airlines, hotels, retailers, aggregators, and online marketplaces are a few examples of merchants that may divide purchases into smaller transactions. Transactions may be divided by date of availability, shipping date, ticket, or reservation, among other things.

Qualifying purchases do not include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. You will typically receive the extra Membership Rewards points six to eight weeks after the billing period in which you make the qualifying purchase.
50% Airline Bonus

To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible airfare purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Points must be used at the time of booking. Pay with Points requires a minimum redemption of 5,000 points.

Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (50% Airline Bonus). For First or Business class flights on a Card Member's selected qualifying airline, the Card Member will still receive only 5 extra points for every 10 points redeemed. Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. The airline you select for the 50% Airline Bonus and the $200 Airline Fee Credit must be the same. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of your Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or AirTran Airways, to receive your 50% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497. A flight booked as part of a travel package or booked with the American Express U.S. Representative Travel Network is not eligible for the 50% Airline Bonus. In addition, to be eligible to receive extra points, Card account(s) must not be in default at the time of extra points fulfillment. If booking is canceled, the extra points will be deducted from your Membership Rewards account. Extra points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions. This 50% Airline Bonus is the maximum Membership Rewards points you can get back for Pay with Points on flights booked with American Express Travel. Bonus ID: A6ZB.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:45 am

Do the points redeemed for pay with points need to have been earned on the Amex Business Platinum to get the 50 percent back? So, if I have an Amex Business Platinum or if I apply for one today, can I get the 50 percent back paying with points that I previously earned on my everyday or gold?

When I look online, all I see is one MR account. But some of the language in the terms that mia just posted about "card account" has me a bit concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.