Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Still do not see anything under my PLT card on the AMEX site ? All the other AMEX things are there but nothing about 5x MR points on airline tickets
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Do the points redeemed for pay with points need to have been earned on the Amex Business Platinum to get the 50 percent back?
No, your MR points are all pooled into one linked account which does not distinguish the card they were earned from for redemption purposes.

Originally Posted by lkar
So, if I have an Amex Business Platinum or if I apply for one today, can I get the 50 percent back paying with points that I previously earned on my everyday or gold?
Yes.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by dgparent
Still do not see anything under my PLT card on the AMEX site ? All the other AMEX things are there but nothing about 5x MR points on airline tickets
After logging in, when I click on "Benefits", a blue banner shows up at the top of the list of benefits that mentions the 5x points. Also if you scroll down through the benefits, it is listed at the very end.

Here is the link it takes me to:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ct=true#detail
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Note that the 1.5 point earnings on $5,000+ transactions is capped
Seems kinda silly for AmEx to cap 1.5x earnings when a) cards like Chase's Freedom Unlimited seem to sustainably offer it without limits and b) AmEx has higher swipe fees to begin with.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blaz
After logging in, when I click on "Benefits", a blue banner shows up at the top of the list of benefits that mentions the 5x points. Also if you scroll down through the benefits, it is listed at the very end.

Here is the link it takes me to:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ct=true#detail
I see the same, but on my Business Platinum. I thought only the consumer Platinums were supposed to get the 5x for airfare...^
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
I see the same, but on my Business Platinum. I thought only the consumer Platinums were supposed to get the 5x for airfare...^
I see the same thing - but when you click the banner, it goes to a page under the benefits of my MB (personal) Platinum card. I also see the banner at the top of the benefits page for my EDP.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I see the same thing - but when you click the banner, it goes to a page under the benefits of my MB (personal) Platinum card. I also see the banner at the top of the benefits page for my EDP.
For me, I basically get a 404 page. For certain, Amex Travel still only shows 2x, not 5x.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Amex Travel still only shows 2x, not 5x.
I would not expect that to change, because 2X (which really means "one point more than otherwise") is a feature of the booking site, not any specific card. When you use a Premier Rewards Gold card you receive 4 points per dollar:

• 1 point for spending a dollar
  • 2 points for buying airfare
  • 1 point for using American Express Travel

...with the new personal Platinum card it should be:

• 1 point for spending a dollar
  • 4 points for buying airfare
  • 1 point for using American Express Travel
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:00 am
mia

Terms of the PERSONAL Platinum "5X" Airline reward have been published:

5X points on flights

You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Platinum Charge Card from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines or through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service or amextravel.com). Charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of vacation packages, tours, or cruises, and flights booked with Platinum Travel Service on airlines that do not accept American Express are excluded. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include ticketing service or other fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:07 am
mia

I think this is a website error.

I see the banner when I login to ms mia's personal Platinum card account, and clicking the banner leads to the terms.

I also see the banner when I login to my Business Platinum card account, but clicking it leads to an error.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think this is a website error.

I see the banner when I login to ms mia's personal Platinum card account, and clicking the banner leads to the terms.

I also see the banner when I login to my Business Platinum card account, but clicking it leads to an error.
Indeed. Clicking on the Benefit Terms link under the benefit categories reveals the standard 2x terms that were previously in effect for Amex Travel. No mention of 5x, or of direct booking with airlines.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If they ever get around to it, I hope they do something more meaningful to the UK card than hand out more points. How lame and unimaginative.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Corporate platinum

Maybe this is a dumb question, but my company offers the chance to get the corporate platinum card. Would this qualify for the 5x airfare bonus or is this more akin to the business card by AMEX?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:52 pm

Would it be possible to combine the Amex Travel 2x offer with the Platinum 5x offer to get a net 10x MR points on airfare? Any datapoints on how Amex has handled similar situations in the past? Did the PRG earn a net combined 4x on airfare booked through Amex Travel?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by nycguy5
Would it be possible to combine the Amex Travel 2x offer with the Platinum 5x offer to get a net 10x MR points on airfare?
It would not come to ten:

• 1 base point for spend a dollar
  • 4 bonus points for buying airfare
  • 1 bonus point for using American Express travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.