Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Agreed. I went to bed last night thinking "WOW" 5 points on airline spend. When I woke up this morning it was 'Damn' 2 points on airline spend since many folks already get 3 points thru the Citi Prestige or Chase Reserve. Both of these cards have insurance, so now everytime I purchase an airfare I'll have to think about which is more important, 2 more points or insurance.
Originally Posted by bgriff
I agree with those who have noted that this is not a good way to get the Platinum card to be top of wallet (or indeed, for many people, even "in wallet"), so seems like a questionable choice on Amex's part, though I'm certainly not complaining.

Indeed, this is even worse for Amex than what I shared on the "how will Amex respond to CSR" thread -- I was going to keep the Platinum card for SkyClub/Centurion/FHR anyway, but was thinking about cancelling my PRG card thanks to the CSR.

For my spend patterns, the only reason I could think of to keep the PRG was that I occasionally have large amounts of airfare spend, and appreciate having large and diversified MR and UR balances, so 3x points on airfare with the PRG was the main way I stood a chance of accumulating large MR balances.

But now, the Platinum that I was going to keep anyway offers an even better way to accumulate large MR balances on my airfare spend. I'll continue not to use the Platinum for anything else. And 2x on gas and groceries with the PRG is definitely not worth the annual fee.
Or, it could tie you even deeper into Amex MR ecosystem. Because of the business platinum 2 cent redemption, 5x for airfare on Amex personal platinum, PGR that has better rewards (at least for me because of grocery) than CSR, and EDP that gives you 4.5x on groceries, 3x on gas and 1.5x on everything, at least for me, the Amex ecosystem is going to be very hard to beat. I don't have Personal Platinum or PGR but most likely will end up getting PGR and use that and EDP as the main cards for spending and business platinum for FHR, $5k+ spending and benefits of 2 cent redemption.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
I celebrated this offer by spending around $1,000 on an airline, but with $700 airfare, $100 award fee/tax and $200 change fee. I am guessing the first two will count for the X5, but not sure about the change fee (coded differently; I already used up $200 credit). Will try to report back.
Progress so far. I'm also targeted for X2 MR for every purchase, and the X2 showed up on my MR account. Wondering if X5 bonus posting has different time frame (and sure don't want to hear that X2 and X5 offers are not combinable, as in only one of them will count and not other other, or something like that).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jediwho
Or, it could tie you even deeper into Amex MR ecosystem. Because of the business platinum 2 cent redemption, 5x for airfare on Amex personal platinum, PGR that has better rewards (at least for me because of grocery) than CSR, and EDP that gives you 4.5x on groceries, 3x on gas and 1.5x on everything, at least for me, the Amex ecosystem is going to be very hard to beat. I don't have Personal Platinum or PGR but most likely will end up getting PGR and use that and EDP as the main cards for spending and business platinum for FHR, $5k+ spending and benefits of 2 cent redemption.
Certainly depends on your spending patterns. Personally, I don't spend enough on airfare or grocery to flip my spending to Amex any more than I already do. I'm tied pretty hard to the UR ecosystem because it gives me the best benefit. I don't expect that will stay that way permanently, as we all know that it's only a matter of time before the good thing gets nerfed. The only constant is change.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:27 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by radiowell
Progress so far. I'm also targeted for X2 MR for every purchase, and the X2 showed up on my MR account. Wondering if X5 bonus posting has different time frame (and sure don't want to hear that X2 and X5 offers are not combinable, as in only one of them will count and not other other, or something like that).
The x5 isn't an "offer," it's a feature. But it will likely work the same as the x3 on the PRG, which is that it will appear at the same time as the base points, so a month after your statement closes.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
The x5 isn't an "offer," it's a feature. But it will likely work the same as the x3 on the PRG, which is that it will appear at the same time as the base points, so a month after your statement closes.
Ah, got it. Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Data point:

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but just got off the phone with an Amex CSR and apparently the 50% rebate is not only for the airline you select. If the fair you book is in Business or First Class then the 50% rebate applies to any airline.

I called back and confirmed this with a second CSR. Would love to hear if anyone has actually successfully taken advantage of this.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by xxpert
... Business or First Class then the 50% rebate applies to any airline. .
Correct. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

50% points refund report transferred to more specific thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by tmiw
The wording about Delta Private Jet probably means that only a small subset of Platinum cardholders would be able to benefit from the discount. Still, I'd have expected at least a passing mention of it.
IIRC, that discount has always been a perk of the DPJ program and has nothing to do with Amex or the new Plat card benefits.

Perhaps the one tie in is that Amex is more specifically referencing DPJ in it's promotional materials (i.e., naming DPJ instead of just saying "Access to Private Jet programs"). But in reality, access to DPJ (and the resulting 20% discount and automatic DL DM status) is available to anyone willing to plunk down the cash. No Amex needed.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Data points on reddit are stating that AMEX customer service representatives are stating a new card is coming out soon
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:58 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Interesting datapoint on the 1.5x earnings on purchases of 5k+ on the Business Platinum. I made a qualifying purchase on Thursday, 10/6, which posted today 10/8, along with the bonus MR points (the extra .5 points per dollar, not the full 1.5). My current statement cycle does not end for a few more weeks. A welcome change from waiting until after the closing of the next statement!
Ditto - just saw that the .5 point bonus already posted to my MR account, ahead of the actual monthly statement close. ^
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
You skipped over the part that holding all 4 of those cards is redundant and not viable for a lot of people. Every single one of those card comes with an AF and they often have overlapping categories and benefits.

You look over at chase and Freedom + FU + Ink Cash + CSP/CSR covers A TON of day-to-day expenses at $95 AF min. In essence, you pay less to earn UR points and I personally value UR higher than MR to begin with.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by runb4fun
You skipped over the part that holding all 4 of those cards is redundant and not viable for a lot of people. Every single one of those card comes with an AF and they often have overlapping categories and benefits.

You look over at chase and Freedom + FU + Ink Cash + CSP/CSR covers A TON of day-to-day expenses at $95 AF min. In essence, you pay less to earn UR points and I personally value UR higher than MR to begin with.
Indeed. Plus Visa/MC is much more widely accepted than Amex. Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
just catching up with this now after returning from a trip. This is huge. 5x MR points for airfare. Clearly reacting to the marketplace. I like it. Was going to keep the Plat card anyway, but now all air purchases go there. Nice bonus. I like it!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Does MB Plat, Schwab, Ameriprise get 5x airfare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.