Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jediwho
How many times have you used card provided travel insurance, how much have you save because of it, and what is the annual spending on airline tickets?
It's more about the one time I needed it, I booked with my AmEx which didn't have it. At my current travel level (~50k miles annually) I could handle using the AmEx, but I expect it to double or triple in the next 6-12 months and that's when the likelihood of me using the insurance goes up a lot.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
How many times have you used card provided travel insurance, how much have you save because of it, ...
Savings shouldn't be calculated by looking at claims paid, but rather by what it would cost to buy an annual travel insurance policy with the coverage you need rather than those selected by a credit card company.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:22 am

Press release from AmEx announcing the changes: New Travel Benefits for American Express Platinum Card Members and Business Platinum Card® Members

Note that it seems the 50% points back for Business Platinum card members is effective immediately. A chat agent was unable to confirm this and said I will need to call Travel Services to find that out; don't have time now but will do so later:

Business Platinum Card Members can now earn 50% points back when using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points through American Express Travel to book a flight with their selected airline.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Press release from AmEx announcing the changes: New Travel Benefits for American Express Platinum Card Members and Business Platinum Card® Members

Note that it seems the 50% points back for Business Platinum card members is effective immediately. A chat agent was unable to confirm this and said I will need to call Travel Services to find that out; don't have time now but will do so later:
Isn't this only for business or first class airfare?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
Isn't this only for business or first class airfare?
AND for flights with the airline you selected for the incidentals benefit.

Business Platinum Card Members can now earn 50% points back when using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points through American Express Travel to book a flight with their selected airline. They will also receive this benefit when booking a first or business class ticket with any airline.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Savings shouldn't be calculated by looking at claims paid, but rather by what it would cost to buy an annual travel insurance policy with the coverage you need rather than those selected by a credit card company.
The reason for the question was really see do people benefit from insurance offered by CC companies. I had booked a ticket using Prestige recently for a mileage run but was under the weather and hence could not fly. I never bothered filing a claim as the ticket was pretty cheap and also, I did not have a medical certificate that I was sick. I clearly see the benefit..I would rather have the Citi insurance than not have one. But how much are we willing to pay is the question. Eventually, I expect Amex to cave in and offer a comparable insurance, maybe for an extra annual fee.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:09 am

Doing the calculations, it seems to slightly favor the reserve. I guess that I book ~$10k/yr in airfare. So I would earn 20k extra points over the reserve or $400 at 2¢ each. The annual Allianz plan for me is $459, making it better off for me to use the reserve.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by United747
Doing the calculations, it seems to slightly favor the reserve. I guess that I book ~$10k/yr in airfare. So I would earn 20k extra points over the reserve or $400 at 2¢ each. The annual Allianz plan for me is $459, making it better off for me to use the reserve.
Which plan is better? If the Alliaz trumps Reserve insurance, then you would be better off going with Amex and buying the plan.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Eventually, I expect Amex to cave in and offer a comparable insurance, maybe for an extra annual fee.
Agreed, they do this is other countries. I think the obstacle in the USA is that they own a business selling travel insurance, and bundling comprehensive coverage with a card could affect those sales. This is a problem many large businesses face, they hobble one product to protect another. At some point they will recognize that it's two different markets.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
With the 5x airfare, is there a airline credit card worth holding now? And if the Plat is paired with the CSR? Probably not.
It depends.

If an airline card offers free checked baggage regardless of payment method, then a card can pay for itself depending on a person's travel patterns.

If an airline card offers lounge access that a person values at more than the annual fee, then the card is worth it.

If an airline card offers the ability to accelerate elite status, and diverting spend to that card along with annual fee is deemed a good value, then it's worth it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Which plan is better? If the Alliaz trumps Reserve insurance, then you would be better off going with Amex and buying the plan.
I'd venture to say the Allianz plan, but don't know off the top of my head. There were a few things not included in the Allianz plan that I would want though. It's something to research farther.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Others have reported that MPX purchases on the PRG do NOT get the 3x as airfare, despite qualifying for the airline incidentals credit. So I doubt this means 5x on MPX purchases.
Oh this sucks then.
I don't find it surprising. Given the fiscal pressure on Amex they've got to find savings anywhere they can and tightening up their costs of paid awards is one way.

How long before they start changing redemption ratio like they did with BA?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by United747
I'd venture to say the Allianz plan, but don't know off the top of my head. There were a few things not included in the Allianz plan that I would want though. It's something to research farther.
I think it's safe to conclude that the Prestige plan is superior to CSR. So, I am guessing that the Allianz plan is also better than CSR. The question really is, if it's better than even Prestige, it would make more of a case of Allianz and Platinum combo than CSR. Essentially, it looks like with the 5x, Amex is going after the high spenders -- those spending at least 5K a year on airfare.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Cubbies2016
Very odd that AMEX is not extending the 5x airfare to the business platinum.
That is odd. I currently have both the Business Platinum and the Ameriprise AMEX Platinum (no annual fee during the first year). I was going to cancel the latter in January when the annual fee hits, but now I have to think. It would be good if the Gogo passes were added to the Personal Card or 5X airfare was added to the Business Card, otherwise I need to decide which is worth more to me on a yearly basis (10 Gogo passes and MR pay with points return or 5X airfare). Decisons, decisions...

Last edited by steve4; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:14 am Reason: Additional thoughts
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
It depends.

If an airline card offers free checked baggage regardless of payment method, then a card can pay for itself depending on a person's travel patterns.

If an airline card offers lounge access that a person values at more than the annual fee, then the card is worth it.

If an airline card offers the ability to accelerate elite status, and diverting spend to that card along with annual fee is deemed a good value, then it's worth it.
Sure, the above are theoretical examples where it may sense but I'm having a hard time imagining real examples/situations where your examples would occur.

Take the baggage example, assuming the card grants the cardholder free checked luggage regardless of payment type (which cards allow this?), one needs to fly 2 RT(?) to break even on the annual fee. Are there people holding a card flying more 3 RT to save ~$50 net of annual fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.