Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Official twitter acct says 5x pts on flights for plat card:

Original question:

Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HGHUA

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskAmex/s...53601179529216

Original question:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sdice/sta...49619002576896
Offer is now "old" apparently according to their subsequent reply.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by HGHUA

https://mobile.twitter.com/AskAmex/s...53601179529216

Original question:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sdice/sta...49619002576896
Wow! That's really upping the ante. For an international premium RT costing $5,000, that's an extra 10,000 points as compared to Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
Offer is now "old" apparently according to their subsequent reply.
Yeah, don't get that. They posted today...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:12 pm

Interesting that Amex ended that tweet with a comma. What else, Amex, what else? There must be more.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Huh - odd twitter exchange but if does in fact happen it's a big time move. Instantly makes the Plat the best option for air travel.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Rumor is 5x points on plat for air travel
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by slickvik
Rumor is 5x points on plat for air travel
I feel like there has to be more. If this is the only upgrade, people will just save the card to their FF profile and only use it for that. Still no incentive for prolonged use.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by United747
I feel like there has to be more. If this is the only upgrade, people will just save the card to their FF profile and only use it for that. Still no incentive for prolonged use.
Yeah dining is a much better bonus category if you want to induce people to keep the card top-of-wallet.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Duke787
Huh - odd twitter exchange but if does in fact happen it's a big time move. Instantly makes the Plat the best option for air travel.
Yes, but strategically makes no sense. People will go from not using it at all to using it only for air travel, which will be costly to them (because of the 5x) but still won't get anyone to take it out of his wallet. 5x at Starbucks would make more sense (not that I would prefer that personally).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
The 5x rumor is true I called AMEX and it starts October 6. If this is the only big surprise, sorry but it is lame and can't match to the reserve. If they introduce this in conjunction with a 100,000 bonus, then maybe they will get some hype. But to truly match they need the 100,000 plus $300 unrestricted travel credit plus this 5x, just IMO.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:11 pm

I would think it would be smart (for Amex) to offer accelerator categories (5X airfare etc.) and award the bonus points only upon hitting spend thresholds. That way they can capture more everyday spend and not just have card holder spend against the bonus categories.

For example you could offer 5X airfare, 3X travel, 2X restaurants that each cardholder would accrue. When they hit my arbitrarily assigned annual spend level of $30k, those points would be released. That way card members charge non bonus categories to hit the spend threshold. Just an idea....
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by taliesin
5x at Starbucks would make more sense (not that I would prefer that personally).
I have bought more airline tickets than Starbucks drinks this year (though lots of coffee at independent coffee shops).

Grocery stores and gas stations would be my preference. It would complement the CSR's categories and actually get me to put the card in my wallet when I am not travelling.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have bought more airline tickets than Starbucks drinks this year (though lots of coffee at independent coffee shops).

Grocery stores and gas stations would be my preference. It would complement the CSR's categories and actually get me to put the card in my wallet when I am not travelling.
I'd be happy with the PRG earning structure and keep everything else the same. Then I would consider using this as my daily charger
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Yea, Am Ex Card Services said the 5X points for travel is for travel booked through Am Ex Travel and Airline web sites. Hopefully there is more than just this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.