Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Does MB Plat... 5x airfare?
Advertised here:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop

Have not yet looked at the others.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mia
Advertised here:

Thanks, couldn't find it anywhere. I suspect that if it works for MB Plat, then it should work with other flavors of plat?

Last edited by hiima; Oct 17, 2016 at 12:34 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Speculation about further changes to Platinum or a new card have been transferred:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mium-card.html
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
Advertised here:

Can confirm that it also applies to the Schwab Plat.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
With 5X for airline tix, I will use Plat for any flight on any airline except when flying UA.
I just closed my Delta Gold. I don't check bags and could find no other benefit exclusive to the Delta which I would need. It wasn't worth the $95 AF.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:41 pm

Same here...but I will make sure I knock off the $250 Citi Prestige airfare and for cheap domestic flights, use the Ritz-Carlton $100 Infinite discount. Ymmv...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jeepie
Same here...but I will make sure I knock off the $250 Citi Prestige airfare and for cheap domestic flights, use the Ritz-Carlton $100 Infinite discount. Ymmv...
I have used the RC $100 benefit 3x already and its awesome. I wish the CSR came with this. Other wise getting 2 marriott points is worthless. 5x in the platinum card is just OK in my opinion. They dont have travel insurance that is very important for me. Citi prestige is much better.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I mean... I love my Platinum card for all of the other benefits but I have it like a "club" card. I dont use it to pay anything other than amex offers. I keep it for the awesome platinum benefits that are better than any other card. I was targeted for 2x MR points on all purchases for 3 months and I used it for all of my spending during that time. It expired today sadly. Back to the sock drawer
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:31 am

Has anyone confirmed if you get 6x (5x + an extra point) if you book through Amex Travel? Alternatively, might flights booked through Expedia, Orbitz, .etc qualify for 5x? (They typically count as airfare on Visa/MC.)
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Just got an email from AmEx about this. Is it just for the personal version of plat?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by nall
Has anyone confirmed if you get 6x (5x + an extra point) if you book through Amex Travel? Alternatively, might flights booked through Expedia, Orbitz, .etc qualify for 5x? (They typically count as airfare on Visa/MC.)
5X Airfare Terms
You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Platinum Card from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines or through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service or amextravel.com ). Charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of vacation packages, tours, or cruises, and flights booked with Platinum Travel Service on airlines that do not accept American Express are excluded. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include ticketing service or other fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by safigan
5X Airfare Terms
You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase in each billing period on your Platinum Card from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with passenger airlines or through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service or amextravel.com ). Charter flights, private jet flights, flights that are part of vacation packages, tours, or cruises, and flights booked with Platinum Travel Service on airlines that do not accept American Express are excluded. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include ticketing service or other fees, interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not qualify for additional points. A purchase may not qualify for additional points if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.
I've read the terms and conditions, but they're not clear on all points, and I think we've all learned that what the T&C say and what Amex actually does do not always align 100%

The T&C on Amex Travel say you earn an extra point, which does not stack with other promotions, but it certainly got you 4x on the PRG. I did receive 3x on some flight purchases made via an OTA with my PRG, even though the T&C said otherwise, but this was a few years back.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:05 pm

DP: confirming 4 add'l points for a total 5 points for $ spent directly with airline. In my case, charge was for SQ award ticket fees. Transaction details shows flight details.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:10 am

Me and my wife travel about 6-8 times per year with a total annual spend of $79k.
I had PRG card for a while and recently got both personal and business platinum cards. I did a comparison of the above 3 Amex cards with PRG + business platinum and also with Chase Reserve and Citi Prestige (see the PDF table). I kept the final annual fee amounts for each card after the travel credits in this comparison. I get Citi Prestige for $350 due to gold account and the extra card for my wife is $50.
I know considering MR points valued at x2 with platinum business is not straightforward and it takes many 50% point credits to reach it.
I will still keep Citi Prestige for the priority pass family entry and 4th hotel night benefits.
Amex PRG seems to be a better choice than Amex Everyday Preferred for better travel points and without the need to check for 30 transactions every month. Monthly fee is same after the $100 travel credit.
I also posted the travel benefits comparison between the 3 major cards.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
CreditCardTravelBenefits.pdf (82.3 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by peterrudy; Nov 19, 2016 at 6:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:19 am

Has it been discussed what's the timeframe for posting of bonus 5x points? Is it at statement close, later than that, or a few days after qualified transactions post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.