Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by peterrudy
I made two MPX Amazon GC purchases with my personal platinum card and it is showing directly under "Airline" section, along with the other airfare purchases (see PDF).

I am assuming it will give 5x points. I will post here later after my billing cycle point credits, which are painfully slow with Amex.

MPX has GC's for Amazon, iTunes, Dell, Bed Bath and Beyond along with several other stores and the MPX app can be used on the fly when you are inside a store making a purchase to pay for the item at the register with GC.
For me MPX Amazon GC's are most valuable, which gives 5x MR points (effectivley 10x MR points with the business platinum). Gift cards can be instantly loaded to Amazon account.
I usually use Amazon store card for 5% cash back for Amazon purchases, but considering to switch to this method instead!

P
I just bought a $50 Dollar Amazon GC through MPX today. I put a reminder on my calendar and I'll try and circle around post in this thread but if it does work who knows when Amex may close the benefit.

If this works I am VERY happy to hop on MPX and buy GC's everything before I buy from Amazon/etc. Really easy.

Edit: In pending it did post to (Category: Travel - Airline)

Last edited by thebob6; Nov 16, 2016 at 2:23 am Reason: Updated Info
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:04 pm

As expected and informed by PRG experts (thanks FT), the 5X airline purchases posted one month after the statement closed. I'm a happy camper.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Do Alaska points purchased while getting the ticket (they allow 10,000 point purchase when purchasing the ticket for $200) get 5x MR?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:31 pm

I purchased similar stuff on KLM and they all are showing up right below the main ticket fare, under the "airline" section. They all should get 5x MR credits at the end of the statement.

P
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:47 pm

I've seen 2 DP on reddit of 5x working but need to see SCREENSHOT of 5x being credited.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by runb4fun
I've seen 2 DP on reddit of 5x working but need to see SCREENSHOT of 5x being credited.
MPX is not posting as 5x.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:08 pm

My plat closed and I only put $100 worth of MPX on it last cycle. I only see 100 MR pending for this card.

EDP grocery 3x shows the correct amount, however.

There maybe a low chance of the 5x not showing up until it posts, similar to the 50% MR bonus from EDP, which never shows as pending.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
50000 points offer and 5000 spend in 3 mo

Amex just sent me email invite for platinum for 50000 points for personal card and 5000 spend requirement. Is there a way to inquire about 100000 offertory sign up or there is no benefit on calling their reps and give them this invitation code. I Also have hhonors surpass card and I use prestige all the time. Thx
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any datapoints on whether buying AA miles codes as 5x airfare?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA
Anyone know whether AA Vacations packages confer 5x?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA
Any confirmed reports that expedia, orbitz etc airline-coded transactions earn the 5x?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG
I purchased a couple of tickets for my in-laws directly from Air China's website and it posted into the category of Business Services - Banking Services. Doubt I'll get the 5x points now.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by esls79
I purchased a couple of tickets for my in-laws directly from Air China's website and it posted into the category of Business Services - Banking Services. Doubt I'll get the 5x points now.
Can you post a screenshot of the transaction details? Does it show flight details?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Troopers
Can you post a screenshot of the transaction details? Does it show flight details?
It does show the flight details when you click on the transaction so hopefully that will be enough. My statement doesn't close until the middle of December so I'll wait until then to pursue it further.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:39 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question

Amex doesn't honor category spends (e.g. everything spent overseas is 1x) the way say Chase does.

But what about airfare purchases? If I were in France and decided to purchase Air France tickets on their French website or at a local office, would I still earn 5x on the transaction?

Or does the 5x only apply to domestic transactions (e.g. domestic airlines) only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.