Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Has it been discussed what's the timeframe for posting of bonus 5x points? Is it at statement close, later than that, or a few days after qualified transactions post?
Within a few days of the charge. Edit: misread, the 50% refund on pay with points posts within a few days of charge, unsure of 5x timing.

Last edited by bodiddely; Nov 12, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Within a few days of the charge.
hmmmm...then I should be worried.

I have charges from October from European carriers - Austrian and Swiss, that haven't received any bonus points. One is a ticket bought directly from the airline, the other is fee for extra services and placed over the phone. both posted as direct airline charges.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Is this just for new cards?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYTA
Is this just for new cards?
No. If you hold a USA-issued personal Platinum card you are eligible to earn 5 points per dollar when purchasing airfare and it is prominently mentioned in communications from American Express.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:28 pm

hmmmm...then I should be worried.

I have charges from October from European carriers - Austrian and Swiss, that haven't received any bonus points. One is a ticket bought directly from the airline, the other is fee for extra services and placed over the phone. both posted as direct airline charges.
Sorry, I misread your question - had thought it was about the 50% refund on pay with points, not the 5x on airfare. I have no experience with the 5x but would assume it's on the next statement or two.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by peterrudy
Me and my wife travel about 6-8 times per year with a total annual spend of $79k.
I had PRG card for a while and recently got both personal and business platinum cards. I did a comparison of the above 3 Amex cards with PRG + business platinum and also with Chase Reserve and Citi Prestige (see the PDF table). I kept the final annual fee amounts for each card after the travel credits in this comparison. I get Citi Prestige for $350 due to gold account and the extra card for my wife is $50.
I know considering MR points valued at x2 with platinum business is not straightforward and it takes many 50% point credits to reach it.
I will still keep Citi Prestige for the priority pass family entry and 4th hotel night benefits.
Amex PRG seems to be a better choice than Amex Everyday Preferred for better travel points and without the need to check for 30 transactions every month. Monthly fee is same after the travel credit.
I also posted the travel benefits comparison between the 3 major cards.
Total annual spend our annual spend on travel?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:38 am

Has it been discussed what's the timeframe for posting of bonus 5x points? Is it at statement close, later than that, or a few days after qualified transactions post?
Statement closed. I booked travel the day it came out and it was on the statement.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
Total annual spend our annual spend on travel?
It is our total annual spend including travel, dining, gas, groceries and general spending like shopping and purchases which are considered X 1 for rewards from all the these cards.
I used to put the general spending on Citi double cash, but now I am using Amex for everything, because of the new 50% bonus structure with the business platinum card.
I use google flights to book flights directly from the airlines with my amex personal platinum, which gets me 5x MR points. These points effectively become 10x MR points, when I use the business platinum to book flights on amex travel portal.
I will know more in the next two months if there are any surprises!
P

Last edited by peterrudy; Nov 13, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by peterrudy
It is our total annual spend including travel, dining, gas, groceries and general spending like shopping and purchases which are considered X 1 for rewards from all the these cards.
I used to put the general spending on Citi double cash, but now I am using Amex for everything, because of the new 50% bonus structure with the business platinum card.
I use google flights to book flights directly from the airlines with my amex personal platinum, which gets me 5x MR points. These points effectively become 10x MR points, when I use the business platinum to book flights on amex travel portal.
I will know more in the next two months if there are any surprises!
P
So why not get PGR as well as EDP? The EDP gets you 2.5x more on groceries than PGR or up to 15,000 MR points a year. Plus 1x more on gas and 0.5x more on everything else. The $95 extra more than pays for itself. If you still need to use PGR for grocery spending after $6K spending on EDP, then get another PGR in your wife's name and use PGR exclusively for dinning.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:53 am

I see NEW report that 5x is also triggering in MPX purchases. Essentially tons of giftcards could be had for 5x MR + some United points. Anyone tried and wants to CORRECTLY report it?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
So why not get PGR as well as EDP? The EDP gets you 2.5x more on groceries than PGR or up to 15,000 MR points a year. Plus 1x more on gas and 0.5x more on everything else. The $95 extra more than pays for itself. If you still need to use PGR for grocery spending after $6K spending on EDP, then get another PGR in your wife's name and use PGR exclusively for dinning.
I will try to incorporate EDP in my last table and see if it makes much difference after the annual fee. I dislike minimum 30 transactions per month requirement to get the 50% point bonus.

Thank you for suggesting it.

P
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
I see NEW report that 5x is also triggering in MPX purchases. Essentially tons of giftcards could be had for 5x MR + some United points. Anyone tried and wants to CORRECTLY report it?
You do not trust this NEW report?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
I made two MPX Amazon GC purchases with my personal platinum card and it is showing directly under "Airline" section, along with the other airfare purchases (see PDF).

I am assuming it will give 5x points. I will post here later after my billing cycle point credits, which are painfully slow with Amex.

MPX has GC's for Amazon, iTunes, Dell, Bed Bath and Beyond along with several other stores and the MPX app can be used on the fly when you are inside a store making a purchase to pay for the item at the register with GC.
For me MPX Amazon GC's are most valuable, which gives 5x MR points (effectivley 10x MR points with the business platinum). Gift cards can be instantly loaded to Amazon account.
I usually use Amazon store card for 5% cash back for Amazon purchases, but considering to switch to this method instead!

P
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
airline charges.pdf (39.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by peterrudy; Nov 14, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
You do not trust this NEW report?
It is wishful thinking. Somefolks might be reporting 5x just because it coded as airline. Really need to wait till statement closure.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:19 am

I received the Amex personal platinum card in mail on November 11th and put some airline charges worth 3K. I was surprised to see the sign-on bonus 40K points posted instantly on November 14th, since I was expecting them at the end of the monthly statement.
Now I have some points to try and book some flights on Amex business to see how the 50% point credit works!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Amex points.pdf (19.9 KB, 52 views)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.