Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
It would not come to ten:

• 1 base point for spend a dollar
  • 4 bonus points for buying airfare
  • 1 bonus point for using American Express travel
Based on the language in the terms, isn't this more accurate?

• 1 base point for spend a dollar
  • 4 bonus points for buying airfare using American Express travel
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roundtree
Based on the language in the terms, isn't this more accurate?
It could turn out that way, but I expect not for three reasons:

1. The four bonus points can be earned when buying directly from an airline. There is no requirement to use American Express Travel.
2. The way I described is how the Gold cards with airfare bonuses work. They would have to reprogram the software to eliminate the one point bonus for using American Express Travel only if paying with a personal Platinum card.
3. American Express Travel = Orbitz. They pay for that bonus point.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Well, I hope that's the case. It certainly makes the airline option even more attractive that I initially thought.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:50 am

Quick PSA for anyone who has a Business Gold Rewards card - I was able to change my 3x bonus category via chat just now (airfare had been my selected category), citing the new 5x on the Platinum. Ordinarily you may only change once per year (Dec 1 - Jan 31).
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
It would be nice if AMEX broke down how many points per charge you will receive like Chase.

I have two charges from United. One is airfare and the other was Internet I purchased on a flight. They both came though as United. Would both of these charges get 5x?

Edit: Just found out where to see points activity which doesn't break down points per transaction but by card with bonus points listed separately.

Last edited by JHake10; Oct 7, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Would not expect anything until 10.6.2016.

Facts right. Conclusion wrong.. Read this Wikipost to understand how to redeem Membership Rewards points for travel on any OneWorld, Skyteam or Star Alliance carrier including AA and UA.
Thanks. Appreciated.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:24 pm

I celebrated this offer by spending around $1,000 on an airline, but with $700 airfare, $100 award fee/tax and $200 change fee. I am guessing the first two will count for the X5, but not sure about the change fee (coded differently; I already used up $200 credit). Will try to report back.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:50 pm

Interesting datapoint on the 1.5x earnings on purchases of 5k+ on the Business Platinum. I made a qualifying purchase on Thursday, 10/6, which posted today 10/8, along with the bonus MR points (the extra .5 points per dollar, not the full 1.5). My current statement cycle does not end for a few more weeks. A welcome change from waiting until after the closing of the next statement!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Interesting datapoint on the 1.5x earnings on purchases of 5k+ on the Business Platinum. I made a qualifying purchase on Thursday, 10/6, which posted today 10/8, along with the bonus MR points (the extra .5 points per dollar, not the full 1.5). My current statement cycle does not end for a few more weeks. A welcome change from waiting until after the closing of the next statement!
Anytime I used a targeted Amex 2X MR offer, I would get the extra point a few days after the purchase and the other point after the statement closing. However, this is the first time I've heard Amex do this with bonus points that are a permanent feature of a card. For example, on PRG you get the 2 points per $ for dining, gas, and groceries after the statement closing.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:54 pm

One additional benefit for both personal and business cardholders I just noticed under the terms is a 20% discount on airfare from Delta Airlines which I think is a big benefit. I'm surprised this hasn't been advertised more on the blogging sites.

Here is what it states:

20% Discount on Delta Commercial Flights
For air transportation provided by Delta, Delta Private Jet Cardholder is entitled to a 20% discount off published fares for select fare classes in effect when booked.

I'm not sure what "select" fare classes are eligible though.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by steve4
One additional benefit for both personal and business cardholders I just noticed under the terms is a 20% discount on airfare from Delta Airlines which I think is a big benefit. I'm surprised this hasn't been advertised more on the blogging sites.

Here is what it states:

For air transportation provided by Delta, Delta Private Jet Cardholder is entitled to a 20% discount off published fares for select fare classes in effect when booked.

The key term there is "Delta Private Jet cardholder" - requires paying upfront for $50k plus for Delta private jets or airfare. The discount is not applicable to all Platinum card members. More details on the AmEx/Delta private jet program here: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/instant-diamond-medallion-status-delta-private-jets/
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by steve4

Here is what it states:

The wording about Delta Private Jet probably means that only a small subset of Platinum cardholders would be able to benefit from the discount. Still, I'd have expected at least a passing mention of it.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I agree with those who have noted that this is not a good way to get the Platinum card to be top of wallet (or indeed, for many people, even "in wallet"), so seems like a questionable choice on Amex's part, though I'm certainly not complaining.

Indeed, this is even worse for Amex than what I shared on the "how will Amex respond to CSR" thread -- I was going to keep the Platinum card for SkyClub/Centurion/FHR anyway, but was thinking about cancelling my PRG card thanks to the CSR.

For my spend patterns, the only reason I could think of to keep the PRG was that I occasionally have large amounts of airfare spend, and appreciate having large and diversified MR and UR balances, so 3x points on airfare with the PRG was the main way I stood a chance of accumulating large MR balances.

But now, the Platinum that I was going to keep anyway offers an even better way to accumulate large MR balances on my airfare spend. I'll continue not to use the Platinum for anything else. And 2x on gas and groceries with the PRG is definitely not worth the annual fee.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

Has anybody yet utilized the 50% rebate with the business platinum?

Where would I find the data points for rebate timeline with the previous 30% bonus?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by maygarish

Where would I find the data points for rebate timeline with the previous 30% bonus?
The few that we have would be in this thread (I recently updated title):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.