Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum (USA) refresh 10.6.2016: Personal 5X airfare; Business $0.02 Pay with Points

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by AwardBee
The 5x MR (4 additional bonus pts/$) may need to wait till your statement closes, IIRC. As for the $200 airline credit, it doesn't apply to ticket purchases, only for incidentals such as gift cards, baggage fees, etc. Most people just buy gift cards totaling $200 to cash out the credit.

If you think now you want to buy gift cards first before purchasing your flight, then you should probably cancel the booking you just made, buy the gift cards then repurchase the flights. Assuming of course the flight prices haven't gone up.
Thanks, this helps.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
The 5x bonus points will appear in your account about a month after your statement closes. (They will appear as "pending" in your account a day or two after the statement closes.)

The $200, as someone else mentioned, is not applicable to ticket purchases (so it is not the same as the more broadly applicable credit on the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, for example). This thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...016-a-153.html has lots of ideas for how to maximize the $200 credit with United.
I just called amex and the agent told 5x points is only possible if booked through amextravel.com. Is it right?
Old May 22, 2017, 3:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kay_jay
I just called amex and the agent told 5x points is only possible if booked through amextravel.com. Is it right?
It's correct if you have a Business Platinum card, but not for the personal Platinum cards.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:55 pm

Curious if anyone has bought lifemiles with their amex plat lately? Do they still code as 5x from Lifemiles? Thanks!
Old May 22, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It's correct if you have a Business Platinum card, but not for the personal Platinum cards.
Got it! Many thanks. Then I can't earn 5x
Old May 22, 2017, 7:36 pm

Wrong. Direct with airline also earns 5x

I earned 5x for united gift registry topup
Old May 23, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Wrong. Direct with airline also earns 5x

I earned 5x for united gift registry topup

I have Amex Platinum Business card and not personal card.
Are you sure I earn 5x directly on the airline?
Old May 23, 2017, 3:45 am
mia

I have Amex Platinum Business card and not personal card.
Are you sure I earn 5x directly on the airline?
You do not. There is a separate thread discussing this feature of Business Platinum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-flights.html

The terms of the benefit (which you can find in your online account) are quoted in post 48.

You also should have received an email from American Express, on or around 3.30.2017 with this Subject line: [Your name], learn about new benefits on your Business Platinum CardŽ

Last edited by mia; May 23, 2017 at 3:51 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:16 am

In order to get the 5x MR bonus for tickets purchased directly from the airline, is there a list of qualifying airlines or will any airline qualify?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
I hope this is the right place to ask, I've searched but can't seem to find an answer, my key words may be failing me.

I am trying to figure out if something is amiss with all the travel I've booked, airfare on airline website and hotels through amextravel, as yet I haven't seen any of the 5x bonus points. Are they often delayed, or should I follow up with Amex directly?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
...I've booked, airfare on airline website and hotels through amextravel, as yet I haven't seen any of the 5x bonus points.
What method of payment do you use?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by MaxVO
What method of payment do you use?
Amex Plat Personal Card
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:00 am
mia

"5X" means 4 bonus points in addition to the base point earned by any purchase. To see the point activity:

Login to americanexpress.com/rewards
Choose: Points Summary > [Go]
Look for an entry like this:

Earned Platinum CardŽ-XX000
Mon 2017 Statement
------------------------------------
See Card Bonus Detail
The last line will only appear for months in which bonus points were awarded. If it appears, click the link to see details like this:

Date Description Base Points Bonus Total Points
MM/DD/2017 AMERICAN AIRLINES WEB SALES 479 5x 2,395
This bonus posts at the same time as base points for that statement cycle. This occurs a few days after the NEXT statement is generated, provided full payment was made as required.

Last edited by mia; Dec 12, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Booking through AMEX Travel

Are there any downsides to booking flights through AMEX Travel in order to earn 5x points using the AMEX Platinum (not the delta branded one)? I know that when you book flights through a travel agent or third-party it can sometimes be a pain with IIROPS and sometimes MQMs/MQDs/miles are earned a bit differently. Does Delta treat AMEX Travel booked flights the same way?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Why not just book directly with the airline? Amex gives 5x points for tickets bought that way, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.