Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Business Platinum (USA) earning - 5x on prepaid hotel and flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold

Just spoke with the business platinum team and they confirmed that as of 3/31 the business platinum card will match the personal platinum card and offer 5x the points on flights booked directly with the carrier and hotels.

This confirmed change finally compelled me to leave the business gold as my 3x category was in airfare - this will result in a huge increase in personal earning.

Great news!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by finny52
...5x the points on flights booked directly with the carrier and hotels.
I do not find confirmation of any changes to Business Platinum online. The personal Platinum offers 5X points only for prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel, excluding all FHR stays. I would be surprised if the Business Platinum version were more generous.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I do not find confirmation of any changes to Business Platinum online. The personal Platinum offers 5X points only for prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel, excluding all FHR stays. I would be surprised if the Business Platinum version were more generous.
The salesperson told me that they were only notified on March 1 and would be rolling out the announcements later this month.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The salesperson told me that they were only notified on March 1 and would be rolling out the announcements later this month.
I would like it to be true, but I am skeptical:

The following Consumer Platinum Cards are eligible for the new benefits:

The Platinum Card® from American Express
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Charles Schwab
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Goldman Sachs
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Mercedes-Benz
The Platinum Card® from American Express for Morgan Stanley

What is the difference between the Consumer Platinum Card and Business Platinum Card?

The American Express OPEN Business Platinum Card® is designed as a tool for business owners who use their Cards to make commercial or business purchases. To learn more about the Business Platinum Card visit https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ness-platinum/
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:38 am

Are they keeping the get 50% MR points back when redeeming for airline tickets with the designated airline ? If so, then this would make it a better card than the Personal Platinum. I actually closed my Business Platinum after getting the Schwab Platinum card, but might consider re-opening it.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by steve4
Are they keeping the get 50% MR points back when redeeming for airline tickets with the designated airline ? If so, then this would make it a better card than the Personal Platinum. I actually closed my Business Platinum after getting the Schwab Platinum card, but might consider re-opening it.
There's no way they are getting rid of that benefit this quickly. I'm also skeptical on the 5x airfare/hotel - why wouldn't they have announced that clearly with the personal Platinum card changes? Perhaps the Biz card is getting its own refresh that will be announced soon (one can hope!).
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
If the Business Platinum gets 5x airfare and retains the 50% rebate, I'll just switch to that over the personal platinum.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
If the Business Platinum gets 5x airfare and retains the 50% rebate, I'll just switch to that over the personal platinum.
+1
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
If the biz card starts earning 5X for air, my citi and chase cards are both toast!!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:08 pm

I don't know if this is accurate, but the rep I spoke with today said that after 3/30, the 50% back on MR point redemptions will include both airfare and hotels. I decided to re-open my Business Platinum card because the annual fee shouldn't be billed till the summer which gives me some time to see how the potential changes impact me. If I get 50% back on airfare and hotel redemptions along with 5X points on both, it will be awesome ! Sounds too good to be true though.

Last edited by steve4; Mar 4, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:38 pm

Can someone clarify what AMEX means by prepaid hotel? Is that simply just booking a hotel on Amextravel.com?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:35 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Might be true if they mirror the personal plat $100 AF hike.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:23 am

Just found this link: https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...atinumceke0001

This may be a precursor for upcoming changes to the Business Platinum card.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by steve4
Just found this link: https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...atinumceke0001

This may be a precursor for upcoming changes to the Business Platinum card.
What happens after 3 1/2 weeks?

Enroll now to earn 5X points (that’s 4 additional points per dollar) for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel through 3/29/2017. There’s no limit to the additional points you can earn with this offer. Terms apply.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
What happens after 3 1/2 weeks?

Enroll now to earn 5X points (that’s 4 additional points per dollar) for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel through 3/29/2017. There’s no limit to the additional points you can earn with this offer. Terms apply.
Hopefully it becomes a permanent benefit thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.