Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which Airline cards do not require card be used in order to waive baggage fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Amex Delta Plat

Hi all,

I made a mistake the other day and paid for a United ticket with a non Mileage Plus Visa, and had to pay a $25 baggage fee each way. I did not realize the ticket had to be purchased with the card. I had assumed simply owning the card was suffcient to waive the fees.

I'm pretty sure Delta does not require their card to be used in order to waive baggage fees, but I'm not sure, because I can't recall ever specifically not using the Delta Amex to purchase the ticket.

--- My question is, can someone confirm for me which airline cards do NOT require the card be used to purchase the ticket in order to have baggage fees waived?

Actually, it's only 3 airlines I can about: Delta, United, American.

The reason I ask is because if I purchase a ticket with points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, by definition I can't use an airline branded card. And since I always travel with baggage, I'd have to figure an extra $50-$100 per ticket (depending on whether I fly alone or with my spouse).

-- Related question: If I purchase a ticket through Chase UR, will I earn qualifying miles on that flight, as if I had purchased the ticket directly from the airline?

Thanks, FWIW
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Amex Delta Plat
Looking at the T&C for the three cards, I think the answer is as follows:

-- United: must use the card to purchase the ticket
-- American: do not need to use the card (but must associated the reservation with your FF# 7 days prior to flying)
-- Delta: do not need to use the card (must associate the reservation with the FF# prior to flying, can be at check in).

So just for confirmation, if I purchase a flight through Chase UR on either Delta or American, the bag fees should be waived, correct?

Now I just need to see if I can find confirmation about earning miles/qualifying miles on those airlines if I purchase the tickets using UR points. I've tried searching, but have not yet been able to find a definitive answer.

FWIW
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by forwhatitsworth
--- My question is, can someone confirm for me which airline cards do NOT require the card be used to purchase the ticket in order to have baggage fees waived?
American - NOT required:

1st checked bag is complimentary for:
  • Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator™ and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated flights)
  • AAdvantage Gold
  • oneworld Ruby
  • Alaska MVP members
Delta - NOT required:

At the time of check in with Delta for a Delta-marketed and Delta-operated flight (including Delta Connection), our passengers who hold a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express - Gold, Platinum, or Reserve - will be allowed to check their first bag for free system wide. The benefit is subject to the weight and size restrictions of your cabin of travel. The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions on the Cardholder's reservation for a total of 9 passengers.
United - REQUIRED:

[Qualified Chase UA-braned Card] member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag (within specified size and weight limits). Must be a [Qualified Chase UA-braned Card] member at time of check-in, and ticket(s) must have been purchased using the Card in order to qualify. Applies only on United- and United Express-operated flights, and when baggage check-in occurs with United.
Originally Posted by forwhatitsworth
Related question: If I purchase a ticket through Chase UR, will I earn qualifying miles on that flight, as if I had purchased the ticket directly from the airline?
Yes - EQM/MQM/PQM

No - EQD/MQD/PQD
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:10 am

i think alaska also dont required to pay for the ticket using the boa alaska card. just holding the card alone should be enough and should be linked to alaska ff#
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:39 am

Free checked bag benefit of Barclays Jetblue Plus card

In order to get the free checked bag benefit for the Barclays JetBlue card, do I have to pay the JetBlue airfare using Barclays JetBlue card? If I pay the JetBlue fare using another credit card, do I get the free checked bag at the airport counter by showing my Barclays JetBlue card?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
If I pay the JetBlue fare using another credit card, do I get the free checked bag at the airport counter by showing my Barclays JetBlue card?
Not sure about JetBlue, but I can tell you that with United and American you have to pay with their CC. Seriously doubt JetBlue would be any different.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
... United and American you have to pay with their CC.
This thread says do NOT need to use AA card to pay:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...gage-fees.html
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mia
This thread says do NOT need to use AA card to pay
OK, I stand corrected. Since I NEVER check luggage I did not pay sufficient attention to that little detail when I had an AA flavored Citi card
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
... do I have to pay the JetBlue airfare using Barclays JetBlue card? ...
Relevant discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...l#post26771128
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:49 am

Delta language changed to require use of Delta AX?

I found this language today on Delta's website: "If you have an eligible SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, you receive your First Bag Free on Delta flights booked with your SkyMiles Credit Card. The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions, who must be listed on the Card Member’s reservation — for a total of 9 passengers." Do perhaps Delta now requires one to pay with Delta AX to get the free bag? Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
Do perhaps Delta now requires one to pay with Delta AX to get the free bag? Any thoughts?
It sounds like this is the trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.