Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by covergirl
Hey guys

I am new to all this. i got a biz Gold and struggling to reach $5K to get 40K points. I am about $2K spend short and have few more days left! suggestions?
What date does your statement end?
You may be already too late at this point.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:15 am
alc

For those using that thinking of using the "Purchase and Refund" tactic for a very very high spending requirement, like the Biz Gold, you can just purchase a fully refundable ticket, much easier than trying to refund anything at any store.

If you want to ensure the sign-up bonus kept after refund, you should refund at least 3 months AFTER you rec'd the sign-up bonus. I have friends got their bonus taken away when they refund shortly after they got the bonus.

Last edited by alc; Nov 11, 2015 at 1:51 pm Reason: Correct typo that Jerry mentioned below. Thanks Jerry.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by alc
For those using that thinking of using the "Purchase and Refund" tactic for a very very high spending requirement, like the Biz Gold, you can just purchase a fully refundable ticket, much easier than trying to refund anything at any store.

If you want to ensure the sign-up bonus kept after refund, you should refund at least 3 months AFTER you rec'd the refund. I have friends got their bonus taken away when they refund shortly after they got the bonus.
You meant "at least 3 months AFTER you rec'd the bonus"?

I know for my AMEX Gold, a refund dropping total to below $500 would remove/undo the 25K welcome bonus, unless you spend more again to go over $500
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:50 pm
alc

Originally Posted by jerryhung
You meant "at least 3 months AFTER you rec'd the bonus"?

I know for my AMEX Gold, a refund dropping total to below $500 would remove/undo the 25K welcome bonus, unless you spend more again to go over $500
Thanks Jerry, yes after rec'd the "bonus". I will edit my post now.

Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Returns definitely take away points, though I'm not sure if it would count towards mininum spend as "having spent the money once" or if they look at net spend... I wouldnt risk it.
All cards where spending is required indicate the net spend, total spent - total returns.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:04 pm

So we still have nothing about Amex enforcing the once-per-lifetime bonuses yet, do we?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
All cards where spending is required indicate the net spend, total spent - total returns.
Not that it's a huge matter....I wonder what happens if I make $500 in purchase.
But receive 2 X $10 "statement credit" from the Esso promotion.

For the purpose of the welcome bonus, have I spent $500? or $480? I'm leaning towards the former, as with these promotions...you get the full $50 (X2) purchase' MR points. Even after the -$10 statement credit, you will still have $50 X 2 points for that transaction.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Not that it's a huge matter....I wonder what happens if I make $500 in purchase.

For the purpose of the welcome bonus, have I spent $500? or $480? I'm leaning towards the former, as with these promotions...you get the full $50 (X2) purchase' MR points. Even after the -$10 statement credit, you will still have $50 X 2 points for that transaction.
I think its $500.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:58 pm

I believe those $10 credits show as CREDITS instead of REFUNDS
so you'll be good, $50 spent is $50 counted
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: *void

Had this same scenario last Fall with the same or similar Esso-Amex promo. No worries, the $10 credits don't put you back down below the spending threshold.

Problem is that you won't know if you'll get the points right away anymore, since more and more people are reporting delays in getting the welcome points posted for the MR cards, whereas it used to be fairly consistent, as in right away after the required spending had posted.

Datapoint from our end, 25K showed up right away after spending $500, and this was just a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Nov 12, 2015 at 2:07 am
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Same here, personal Gold MR bonus posted right away. BizGold, ~45 days (don't hold me to it)
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Amex Plat CAN
Just to add a data point, I reached $1000 spend within a week of getting my Platinum Card. Took 47 days after the charge posted to get the bonus points. This is my first ever MR card.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Same here, personal Gold MR bonus posted right away. BizGold, ~45 days (don't hold me to it)
Please indicate if it is your first time churning the card. Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Hi guys,

I need to get 8K SPG points ASAP to complete a booking fo next month, and I'm wondering what would be faster :

- refer AMEX SPG to a friend, gives 10K
- refer AMEX Gold from AMEX Platinum, gives 15K Amex, transfer to SPG for 7.5K

I made a couple of referrals from plat to gold in the past and the referral bonus posted as soon as my friends' applications were approved.

Could anyone comment on AMEX SPG referral bonuses? Do you get them fast or will they get posted when the next monthly statement is issued ?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by thyeri
Hi guys,

I need to get 8K SPG points ASAP to complete a booking fo next month, and I'm wondering what would be faster :

- refer AMEX SPG to a friend, gives 10K
- refer AMEX Gold from AMEX Platinum, gives 15K Amex, transfer to SPG for 7.5K

I made a couple of referrals from plat to gold in the past and the referral bonus posted as soon as my friends' applications were approved.

Could anyone comment on AMEX SPG referral bonuses? Do you get them fast or will they get posted when the next monthly statement is issued ?

Thanks
SPG referrals get posted with the next monthly statement.

Amex referrals get posted within days of approval. then it can take up to 5 days to transfer to SPG (my experience has been more like 2-3).

Amex referral + transfer is faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.