Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Crossed $500 within my first month. No go for the welcome bonus. Oh wells, that was expected. At least my MR's are alive and I got the self-referral bonus.
Its not always credited when $500 is crossed, terms say upto 8 weeks or so.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AMEX is offering extra 25% on TripFlex redemptions
10K points = $100
now it's worth $125

GET 25% MORE VALUE
in statement credits when you redeem points for TripFlex rewards until December 31, 2015.*
Do TripFlex rewards offer good Hotel redemption value?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Do TripFlex rewards offer good Hotel redemption value?
it's just travel cashback, juiced up with this promotion. not a redemption.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
In how many parts does the 51k AeroPlat bonus come? I just got 25k after my first statement, I'm assuming I'll get the other 26k after the minimum spend?
I have the similar question. I received 10k when I meet the spending requirement for Amex Platinum, but I have not receive the rest of the point yet. So I send a message to Amex through the website, and they responded that I will receive it within 8-10 weeks. So, if you still not receive it by then, all them?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
`

It can take up to 8 weeks from the date you met the $1000 spend. From personal experience, if by the ~7th week you still have not received the points you can call customer service and they will send a request to the points department who will give you a manual adjustment of 50k.
If you haven't received your sign up bonus after spend the required $xx, the standard response from amex is it can take 8 to 10 weeks.

We have applied for many amex cards and we have always (as far as I can remember) got our pts promptly. However, a friend (first time applicant) spent the required $xx on Oct 4 and still hasn't received the 25k pts. Amex emailed last month that it can take up to 8 to 10 weeks for the pts to be posted.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Speedy12
If you haven't received your sign up bonus after spend the required $xx, the standard response from amex is it can take 8 to 10 weeks.

We have applied for many amex cards and we have always (as far as I can remember) got our pts promptly. However, a friend (first time applicant) spent the required $xx on Oct 4 and still hasn't received the 25k pts. Amex emailed last month that it can take up to 8 to 10 weeks for the pts to be posted.
Terms say that and so do CSR respond that way all the time, but if you bother them often enough it helps to expedite the posting.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Speedy12

I guess it really depends on who reads the online msg/email. We emailed last night on the 40000points for Business Gold and got the points right away this morning. That was FAST!!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:32 am
alc

Originally Posted by alc
If he has $10K expenses coming up, I'd even suggest going for Business Gold
40K miles!!! after $5000 spending in 3 months, FYF

His wife can refer him = 15K referral (by choosing Platinum card in refer a friend step 1, IF AMEX still lets you, as they're "fixing" the loophole)
Approved & spend $5K on Biz Gold #1 = 40K from husband
husband refers wife = 15K referral
Wife spends $5K on Biz Gold #2 = 40K from wife

Total = 80K + 30K = 110K!!! much better than 1 Gold card's mere 25K+15K referral (40K total)
I will pass along the suggestion. Thanks.
Jerry and all,

My co-worker/friend end up did took the above advice (he said thanks again, btw) and got the Biz Good via referral. He spend the $5000 over the weekend the transaction posted, along with only 30K bonus. His question is when will the other 10K bonus will post?

I read a lot of posts here about 60-90 days or 8-10 weeks standard respond if he contact AMEX (via phone or secure msg), but I actually wonder if his account was setup in correctly at first as the standard off-the-street 30K sign-up bonus. His application was approved online instantly via the referral link from the referral email.

He said he doesn't mind waiting if it will eventually show up, but if there is something he should start now (like a secure msg to let the clock start ticking for the 90 days / 10 weeks), then he will proceed with those actions.

Thanks (from myself and on behave my co-worker/friend)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:39 am

Exact same thing happened to me, and I just emailed the BIZ gold account manager with a screenshot showing my referral link stating I'd be receiving a 40k referral bonus.

The account manager called back a few hours later to confirm the additional 10k to my account.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by alc
Jerry and all,

My co-worker/friend end up did took the above advice (he said thanks again, btw) and got the Biz Good via referral. He spend the $5000 over the weekend the transaction posted, along with only 30K bonus. His question is when will the other 10K bonus will post?

I read a lot of posts here about 60-90 days or 8-10 weeks standard respond if he contact AMEX (via phone or secure msg), but I actually wonder if his account was setup in correctly at first as the standard off-the-street 30K sign-up bonus. His application was approved online instantly via the referral link from the referral email.

He said he doesn't mind waiting if it will eventually show up, but if there is something he should start now (like a secure msg to let the clock start ticking for the 90 days / 10 weeks), then he will proceed with those actions.

Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by alc
Jerry and all,

Official answer is 8-10 weeks and YMMV on getting AMEX to expedite it
It comes in batches too, sometime mid-Month, so just wait for it. Doesn't hurt to send secure message though
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just got an email for "Spend 10 dollars or more at amazon.ca, get 10 dollars in statement credit"

so basically a free 10 dollar gift card for amazon.ca, nice!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just got an email for "Spend 10 dollars or more at amazon.ca, get 10 dollars in statement credit"

so basically a free 10 dollar gift card for amazon.ca, nice!
Invitation only, 1/6 cards worked for me

big thread on RFD
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Invitation only, 1/6 cards worked for me

big thread on RFD
Damm I just tried a few cards and only the 1 card on the email worked...

Oh well. I guess there is more profit in selling gas, at least I used Esso's $10 credit X8

edit- couldn't find it on RFD, to be honest I don't like the site. what they do need is a separate CC section.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Just got e-mails saying 7 of our Amex Gold Rewards cards qualify for a $10 credit off $10+ at amazon.ca. Think e-GC will qualify for the credit?

Last edited by Preacher7; Nov 25, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Just got e-mails saying 7 of our Amex Gold Rewards cards qualify for a $10 credit off $10+ at amazon.ca. Think e-GC will qualify for the credit?
I just bought a $10 E-Gift Card from Amazon on my only Card that got the invite.

No insta e-mail like for the Esso promotion so far. Guess I will wait and see...

If not its $10.. lol. I already got $80 from the Esso promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.