Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL

Thanks, jerryhung! I thought I was crazy for a minute!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by alc
Regarding the ESSO promo, I made 2 separate $50 ESSO purchase this evening on 2 separate AMEX, and I rec'd 2 emails from AMEX within 1 min stating I got the $10 statement credit, 1 per AMEX card. That was super quick!
I got the same email even for a transaction of $10! Unfortunately the statement credit did not show up.

Otherwise, $10 credit posted 2 days after the qualifying purchase.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by beep88
I got the same email even for a transaction of $10! Unfortunately the statement credit did not show up.

Otherwise, $10 credit posted 2 days after the qualifying purchase.
Statement credit comes in 2-3 days. Dont worry, they will come
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL

Quick question--will I get the referral bonus if I'm a Canadian card holder but the approved referral is in the US or another country? Is the amount of referral bonus to me remains the same?

Thanks, guys.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by JCFans
Quick question--will I get the referral bonus if I'm a Canadian card holder but the approved referral is in the US or another country? Is the amount of referral bonus to me remains the same?

Thanks, guys.
don't think so
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by JCFans

Thanks, guys.
You will get the bonus if your referral applied for a CANADIAN Amex card. Not sure how you can even use a referral link and go off to select another country's Amex cards?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:50 am

Does Amex business Starwood Preferred card ever offer FYF's? Any particular "usual" time of year if they do?

TIA
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Does Amex business Starwood Preferred card ever offer FYF's? Any particular "usual" time of year if they do?

TIA
No. If you really want SPG points, you should sign up for the 20k offer. It is more likely that the card goes back to the 10k offer (which we saw recently) than you see if FYF (which I've never seen), in my opinion.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Once you have a card you can keep the 10K referral too (for the 2nd/3rd card etc)! So it's 30K per $120/$150(biz). I'm going to apply for our 5th SPG card next week.

GCR has a $30 cash back & 20K SPG point offer.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Once you have a card you can keep the 10K referral too (for the 2nd/3rd card etc)! So it's 30K per $120/$150(biz). I'm going to apply for our 5th SPG card next week.

GCR has a $30 cash back & 20K SPG point offer.
Doh! I applied for the 20k promo(already received and transferred for 25k aeroplan points) w'out the GCR cash back.

Hoping that if SPG is taken over....that they will still have the point transfer option to airlines.If so,I'll probably self-refer for the biz card.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:23 pm

Doh! I applied for the 20k promo(already received and transferred for 25k aeroplan points) w'out the GCR cash back.

Hoping that if SPG is taken over....that they will still have the point transfer option to airlines.If so,I'll probably self-refer for the biz card.
I suggest you consider some alternatives to Aeroplan for your SPG point transfers, considering how easy AP points are to get from other card issuers in Canada. Depends on your travel habits, of course, but spreading it around to other programs can be pretty handy when looking for flights, or dealing with devaluations.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I suggest you consider some alternatives to Aeroplan for your SPG point transfers, considering how easy AP points are to get from other card issuers in Canada. Depends on your travel habits, of course, but spreading it around to other programs can be pretty handy when looking for flights, or dealing with devaluations.
Yah,that's what I've read before re point trf to airlines not being the best value for spg points.

For me,I needed aeroplan points pronto to secure a flight.With those points I was able to complete bookings for 2 return flights YVR-KIX for next summer.
Since I don't accumulate aeroplan points much thru spending or travel...i applied for as many cards as I could with aeroplan points or hotel points that could be transferred to aeroplan.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:19 pm

Yah,that's what I've read before re point trf to airlines not being the best value for spg points.

For me,I needed aeroplan points pronto to secure a flight.With those points I was able to complete bookings for 2 return flights YVR-KIX for next summer.
Since I don't accumulate aeroplan points much thru spending or travel...i applied for as many cards as I could with aeroplan points or hotel points that could be transferred to aeroplan.
You did what you needed to do to travel. I usually reserve SPG points for hotel stays myself, but if I needed points then its probably the way to go. Can't use the hotel unless you get there I guess.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Amex AeroPlat comes in a fancy LEATHER case?!?! whoaaaaaaa. I like it.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
The novelty wears off fast, sorry to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.