Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Yah,that's what I've read before re point trf to airlines not being the best value for spg points.

For me,I needed aeroplan points pronto to secure a flight.With those points I was able to complete bookings for 2 return flights YVR-KIX for next summer.
Since I don't accumulate aeroplan points much thru spending or travel...i applied for as many cards as I could with aeroplan points or hotel points that could be transferred to aeroplan.
Fair enough. Some actions may seem sub-optimal...but if it gets you where you need to be then, that's the most important thing!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
I saw this when logged in to aeroplan this morning:

SPECIAL OFFER:
NEW AMERICAN EXPRESS® AEROPLANPLUS®* GOLD CARDMEMBERS,
EARN 20,000
WELCOME BONUS AEROPLAN®* MILES
after you spend $500 in your first three months of Card membership6 plus receive a STATEMENT CREDIT OF UP TO $100 (footnote37×) when you book a flight on aircanada.com
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:06 am
alc

Originally Posted by peacestar

SPECIAL OFFER:
EARN 20,000
after you spend $500 in your first three months of Card membership6 plus receive a STATEMENT CREDIT OF UP TO $100 (footnote37×) when you book a flight on aircanada.com
and here is the footnote 37:

Account must be in good standing. Offer valid for new American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Cardmembers only. Offer valid on applications received by American Express through the links provided in this communication. To qualify for the credit, eligible American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold cardmembers must complete a flight purchase on www.aircanada.com within the first 12 months of Cardmembership. A credit will be earned only on full dollar amounts of each qualifying www.aircanada.com purchase up to a maximum of $100.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:55 am

SPECIAL OFFER:
EARN 20,000
Nice....but I suspect most here are already or have already been a member
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!

SPECIAL OFFER:
EARN 20,000
The AF is $120 on this card, right? Or do we have access to a FYF offer like in the past?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
The AF is $120 on this card, right? Or do we have access to a FYF offer like in the past?
I didn't see anywhere that it includes a FYF offer.

The Amex Gold rewards card with 25k enrolment points(transferable to 25k aeroplan points) has a FYF
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:08 pm

Are there any decent prepaid VISA cards that can be paid for with an AMEX? I'd like to get some for places that do not accept the SPG AMEX.

EDIT: doesn't seem like it would be worth it... the load fees are too high
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:10 pm

With promos, it could be OK.

Esso has $100 prepaid Visas for $6 activation fee, if you can double charge 2x $50 Amex cards and get $20 rebate

Safeway has Paypower visa loads for 75 Airmiles, not sure what the load fees are. Might break even.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We got $80 back on this Amex promo buying various GC's.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Are there any decent prepaid VISA cards that can be paid for with an AMEX? I'd like to get some for places that do not accept the SPG AMEX.

EDIT: doesn't seem like it would be worth it... the load fees are too high
Too much effort for me. But someone suggested on RFD.
The current Esso promo (spend $50, get $10 credit).

Somehow they were able to get $100 gift Visa, and paid for it through 2 transaction, or two different Amex.

[$100 prepaid VISA] - [2 X $10 statement credits] + [$5.95 activation fee] = $85.95 cost
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by unclepants
A new data point.

Self-referred from Amex Plat to Amex AeroPlat last month. I last cancelled the Amex Aeroplat after they removed the Amex lounge privilege (2-3 years ago?). I met the spend requirement and received a referral bonus (in AP points) and the full signup bonus.
If you self-refer across card families, how do you get the referal Aeroplan bonus when you don't already have any aeroplan amex cards?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:14 pm

how to reach spend on Amex Biz Gold

Hey guys

I am new to all this. i got a biz Gold and struggling to reach $5K to get 40K points. I am about $2K spend short and have few more days left! suggestions?

any gift cards? or can i buy some Tiffany's jewellery and return after i get bonus points? AMex wont take away the bonus in that scenario, right?

Really appreciate your response
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by covergirl
Hey guys

I am new to all this. i got a biz Gold and struggling to reach $5K to get 40K points. I am about $2K spend short and have few more days left! suggestions?

any gift cards? or can i buy some Tiffany's jewellery and return after i get bonus points? AMex wont take away the bonus in that scenario, right?

Really appreciate your response
did you not have a plan to spend the required amount? anyhow...

gift cards. do you have anything in your house you want to upgrade/replace? do some christmas shopping.

I wouldn't do the buy, then return. it's already a generous offer from Amex, why screw around with it.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Returns definitely take away points, though I'm not sure if it would count towards mininum spend as "having spent the money once" or if they look at net spend... I wouldnt risk it.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
You might not even get the bonus by the time the return period expires...

We hit the $5K a month ago and still havent received the points. First secure message was sent a few days after hitting it, and they confirmed we'd met the requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.