Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Did you use the same SPG membership # for the biz application as you have for the personal card?

Has anyone one else sef-referred,specifically the Amex SPG biz card and received 10k referral and 20k sign-up points by keeping the same SPG membership # ?

Yes, I used the same SPG #. I don't think it would matter that it's the same... but I'll post here when my referral points post
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by alc
I guess the words "just saying..." to start and the end with in my reply didn't let the readers know I was not very serous about AMEX going to or care to do anything about self-referral.

I was straightly just referring to the comment to the respond "No reason it shouldn't work really.." If my respond seems offensive, I do apologies as it was not meant to be. if you will feel better, I can either edit my post or ask Mod to delete it.
Hahahaha! Well said, alc. FWIW, I don't think you said anything out of line, and no need to feel you should apologize for hurting anyone's feelings. I wish more people would practice your well-mannered approach to posting relevant and useful information for the community to benefit from.

There's certainly a lot of extra info that we could share, but for a variety of reasons we choose not to do so publicly, and keep it guarded close to the vest. So, whether others like it or not, your post was fine and appropriate.

JJJ, who's heading off to another online application form.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:14 am

Datapoint. Another member on our churn team just got the 25K welcome points for the personal Amex Gold Rewards card (first application after July 1st), within the same day, after the $500 minimum spending was posted online...i.e., no delays. Recent feedback for posting of Biz Gold (40K) and Plat (60K) welcome points indicate that they seem to be more delayed (truly 8-10 weeks).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
met the Biz Gold spend in mid October just before the 3 month deadline, and only got the 40K points this past weekend, ~45 days after

+another one for delayed points
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Datapoint. Another member on our churn team just got the 25K welcome points for the personal Amex Gold Rewards card (first application after July 1st), .

Was the application done via a referral ?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Was the application done via a referral ?
Yes, I never leave home without it.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:41 pm

So I have the $200 credit for AMEX platinum expiring at the end of this month... no way to get gift cards right?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by spark787
So I have the $200 credit for AMEX platinum expiring at the end of this month... no way to get gift cards right?
Goto Amex.ca , under Travel book a cancellable Hotel for $200 or more, use the Travel Credit. Cancel Hotel booking before Cancel Deadline. To cancel Hotel you may have to phone Amex Concierge Services.

I have done this in the past.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Sorry if I missed previous discussion on this point, but I've been trying to generate a referral using the "old" page, and I can't actually do it... it keeps giving me an error message. Is there a workaround for this?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Sorry if I missed previous discussion on this point, but I've been trying to generate a referral using the "old" page, and I can't actually do it... it keeps giving me an error message. Is there a workaround for this?
what's the error?
which step failed?

did you try email or Facebook way to get a link?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:24 pm
alc

Thought to share my experience as I was generating a referral for SPG AMEX a couple weeks ago.

First on Chrome, got an error on the page where you enter your card number, name and select email or facebook. Then I tried it on IE and it was fine, so I got back to Chrome and try again and got the error again. Finally I did a Ctrl-F5 to for a hard refresh and the page came up.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerryhung
what's the error?
which step failed?

did you try email or Facebook way to get a link?
Just got a red-text error message, can't recall exactly what it said but it said try again soon... however I got the message several times during the day.

I just tried it now and it worked, though... for a while I was worried that the great Amex referral machine was no longer dispensing referrals
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by mgn2000
Goto Amex.ca , under Travel book a cancellable Hotel for $200 or more, use the Travel Credit. Cancel Hotel booking before Cancel Deadline. To cancel Hotel you may have to phone Amex Concierge Services.

I have done this in the past.
to piggy back on this.....

what happens after that?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by scottman00
to piggy back on this.....

what happens after that?
I do the reverse. I call AMEX travel to book a hotel in advance of my billing date. After the credit is applied I then I call the hotel chain and cancel.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:23 pm

So basically you just get a $200 statement credit to use on whatever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.