Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by spark787
So basically you just get a $200 statement credit to use on whatever?
In a way Yes !!!
I did this, in my First month. I reserved a Hotel Room, Got My $ 200 Credit.
I cancelled the Hotel Room, so Instead of paying the $ 699 fee, I paid only
$ 499. I did this before my statement was processed.
By the way I learned this trick indirectly from Amex CSR. I asked, If I book a Hotel, get the credit, then I cancel ?
Her reply we do not take the credit back.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:16 am

Does anyone know if there is a claw back of the $200 credit if the card is cancelled before the annual fee hits?

I know that if you ask for a refund of the annual fee, they only give $499 instead of the full $699 if the travel credit has been used. However, if I cancel before the $699 ever gets charged, will they claw back the $200 some other way?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Does anyone know if there is a claw back of the $200 credit if the card is cancelled before the annual fee hits?

I know that if you ask for a refund of the annual fee, they only give $499 instead of the full $699 if the travel credit has been used. However, if I cancel before the $699 ever gets charged, will they claw back the $200 some other way?
No, Do not let the AF post and you will be fine...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:12 am

Anyone still getting the old Amex Referral Page?

I checked both mine and wife's account and I am only getting the new one where you can only select the cards you have currently for referral.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by gonkman
Anyone still getting the old Amex Referral Page?

I checked both mine and wife's account and I am only getting the new one where you can only select the cards you have currently for referral.
Minutes ago, still works for me, the 'old' page. I've only seen the new page once, ever.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
What referral page you get depends on what browser you are using, among other things. Try something other than Internet Explorer.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:56 am

So.. I had someone send me a AMEX Gold card referral and I applied. I got this in the mail the other day: http://i.imgur.com/ILBMdhS.png

The weird thing is that I never had any other application? Unless they are referring to my other card which I closed already? Anyone have this issue before? It's been like 3-4 months since I closed my old card.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by qsub
So.. I had someone send me a AMEX Gold card referral and I applied. I got this in the mail the other day: http://i.imgur.com/ILBMdhS.png

The weird thing is that I never had any other application? Unless they are referring to my other card which I closed already? Anyone have this issue before? It's been like 3-4 months since I closed my old card.
Call. They will reopen the application
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Call. They will reopen the application
I was hoping to avoid that, but they're not going to hassle me about churning are they?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:55 am

did you get approved on the new card instantly online?

also ask that person if he/she sees the referral bonus too
YES = you are approved on the NEW card
NO = maybe not

Either way, just call AMEX and act dumb, don't mention the old card, just check the NEW card status
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
did you get approved on the new card instantly online?

also ask that person if he/she sees the referral bonus too
YES = you are approved on the NEW card
NO = maybe not

Either way, just call AMEX and act dumb, don't mention the old card, just check the NEW card status
Was not approved instantly online. I will check with the person but I don't think so.

edit: I called them and they said I had a recent application in September which is why it was declined.. so I guess I didn't wait long enough.

Last edited by qsub; Dec 8, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:40 pm

Was not approved instantly online. I will check with the person but I don't think so.

edit: I called them and they said I had a recent application in September which is why it was declined.. so I guess I didn't wait long enough.
That's too bad!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Sept, for the same card?? so you cancelled the old same card less than 3 months after applying for it?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:51 pm

Now which version is honest: you closed the account in September or you applied in September and did not get a card, or what?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: *void
qsub, it seems you opened a Gold Rewards card in Sept, got the 25K, and then cancelled say at end of Sep or early Oct, and then waited 3 months and applied again in early Dec. Is that right?

That is rather aggressive if so. What possessed you to reapply so soon within 3 months? Was it the comments from some boastful blogger or over-zealous forum poster that suggested you could churn Amex cards so quickly? You also mentioned that someone referred you, hopefully it was a family/friend, and not someone who misguided you, in the hopes of stuffing his/her referral pockets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.