Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I do remember your scenario:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post25639520

So, even though some suggested you to take your pitches and get a walk, instead you stepped up to the plate and swung for the fences! Home Run!

1) got the cross-referral to work (from the signup end)
2) got the 51K before the promo ended Oct 31st (now 41K for the AeroPlat)
3) got the extra 25K bennies

If you get the referral points as well, for your referring MR card, I'd say you hit for the cycle!

JJJ, GM-of-Churn-Squads
haha yes that was me

No sight of the 15k referral bonus, but given that I got 25k for... not-sure-what, I'll take those instead of course.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
My last AeroPlat netted more points than was promised

I have to say lately though I am not in the need to pay for any Plat fee's. Having a great run of free cards.

It's my wife's new biz gold that needs a good workout. I'll get a 2nd in Feb.

So far these last few months I've got

2 Gold's + Referral (25K + 15K x2)
2 Blue Aeroplan + referral (5K + 15K x2)
1 Biz Gold + Referral (40K coming + 15K)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by swanny1226
Hi, first message for me on Flyertalk. First, thanks for all the great info on churning over the last few years.
There has been some discussion about the new T&C wording with Amex Canada re: churning. I'm happy to report that both my spouse and I just received our bonus rewards on cards we applied for in November. The cards were Gold Amex and Business Gold Amex and we had only cancelled our previous Gold Amex cards in July (we have been actively churning 2 Amex cards each twice a year for the last three years). I also received my referral bonus' for a Gold Amex and Business Gold Amex I referred to my spouse and a Business Gold Amex I self referred to myself.
So, it seems that while Amex Canada has changed their wording to say that bonus rewards are only offered to "new" customers who have not previously had an Amex card, they are clearly not applying this wording with real card applications. At least in my case.
I should also add that re: churning affecting credit ratings. My spouse and I also applied for a mortgage this last summer at two credit unions (Coast Capital and Vancity) and were approved with the lowest rate at both credit unions and were told that our credit rating was "excellent". I guess as long as you pay off your card balance every month and don't carry any other big debts (car loans, lines of credit etc) churning will have little affect on your credit rating.
Hi swanny, and welcome to FT (as a poster).

Thanks for your datapoints. As a reminder, the Business version of the Gold Amex card does not (just checked again, still not) mention any wording about "new" customer, only the Personal Gold has that wording.

And congrats on your mortgage approval!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE.

Okay I've only ever had the regular Amex Gold and did a self-refer to the Amex Aeroplat (different family)

Here are the bonuses I received:

After Signup: 25k
After meeting 1k spend: 41k + 10k

So instead of 51k I got 76k... Which isnt even the referral aeroplat bonus on top... I'm not complaining tho!
I have no idea how we got the additional 25 k either but I had the same result as you.

I did get 10k from the Aerogold referral to the Aeroplat for a total of 86k. ^
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canuckdave
I have no idea how we got the additional 25 k either but I had the same result as you.

I did get 10k from the Aerogold referral to the Aeroplat for a total of 86k. ^
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
My last AeroPlat netted more points than was promised

I have to say lately though I am not in the need to pay for any Plat fee's. Having a great run of free cards.

It's my wife's new biz gold that needs a good workout. I'll get a 2nd in Feb.

So far these last few months I've got

2 Gold's + Referral (25K + 15K x2)
2 Blue Aeroplan + referral (5K + 15K x2)
1 Biz Gold + Referral (40K coming + 15K)

so we're three people with 25k extra? we need more data points

who else has recently applied to the aeroplat and what did you get?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

How long do cancelled cards appear on web account page?

I'm posting this on the Canadian churning thread because there seems to be so much difference in amex between different countries and this question may be Canadian specific.
I got a gold rewards business card for the self-referral and bonus points. I cancelled it about five months ago yet it still shows up in my online account page. It is cancelled and the card icon shows a red triangle with an exclamation mark on it. Clicking on that icon gives a message that the card is cancelled and please call for any questions etc.
I also dumped my plat card in favor of a new gold rewards card because I just couldn't justify the annual fee and needed a cheaper place to keep my MR until I spend them.
So now I have two cancelled card icons and one active. I'm wondering why those cards still shows and how long they will continue to be there. No functional impact, just curious.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I'm posting this on the Canadian churning thread because there seems to be so much difference in amex between different countries and this question may be Canadian specific.
I got a gold rewards business card for the self-referral and bonus points. I cancelled it about five months ago yet it still shows up in my online account page. It is cancelled and the card icon shows a red triangle with an exclamation mark on it. Clicking on that icon gives a message that the card is cancelled and please call for any questions etc.
I also dumped my plat card in favor of a new gold rewards card because I just couldn't justify the annual fee and needed a cheaper place to keep my MR until I spend them.
So now I have two cancelled card icons and one active. I'm wondering why those cards still shows and how long they will continue to be there. No functional impact, just curious.
After you login online, you can look for "Card Management" and actually remove the cancelled card(s) yourself

Look around, it's doable
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:38 am

Card Management > Remove Card from Online Services

But, you don't need to remove them. Doesn't help/hinder your chances for next card application. They have all your history at their fingertips anyways, and aren't referring to your online account profile.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung
After you login online, you can look for "Card Management" and actually remove the cancelled card(s) yourself
Card Management > Remove Card from Online Services

But, you don't need to remove them. Doesn't help/hinder your chances for next card application. They have all your history at their fingertips anyways, and aren't referring to your online account profile.
DOH! i never thought of that!!

it wasn't about next applications, it was just me being a***-retentive

thanks guys
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:59 pm

Submitted application for Amex Gold Rewards tonight,via referral link. I closed the same product last December.
Got the "in progress,let you know within 10 days" response.I'll give them a ring-a-ding-ding tomorrow.
If approved.....will see if I get the sign-up points again.

Stay tuned!

btw...thanks for all the many pm's with offers of referral links.So overwhelmed with the choices!
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:34 am

Thanks for your datapoints. As a reminder, the Business version of the Gold Amex card does not (just checked again, still not) mention any wording about "new" customer, only the Personal Gold has that wording.
I just got a New Gold Business Amex and I called in when I got the card to find out my Cycle Billing Date (Gotta plan that 5K Spend).

I asked if they could see I was referred and to confirm I would get 40K MR on 5K spend.

The Agent asked if I had the card previously and said if I did I wouldn't get the Bonus. This was for the Business Gold.

I know it doesn't mean much but even the CSR staff are spouting it about the Business Card as well. I tossed the comment in to the "Yeah Whatever" bin.

I will fight for my 40K Bonus if I don't get it. If I never get a 2nd Bonus on Non Business I won't complain but... 5K spend with no wording of "Previous Holder" when I signed up is a different story.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by gonkman
I just got a New Gold Business Amex and I called in when I got the card to find out my Cycle Billing Date (Gotta plan that 5K Spend).

I asked if they could see I was referred and to confirm I would get 40K MR on 5K spend.

The Agent asked if I had the card previously and said if I did I wouldn't get the Bonus. This was for the Business Gold.

I know it doesn't mean much but even the CSR staff are spouting it about the Business Card as well. I tossed the comment in to the "Yeah Whatever" bin.

I will fight for my 40K Bonus if I don't get it. If I never get a 2nd Bonus on Non Business I won't complain but... 5K spend with no wording of "Previous Holder" when I signed up is a different story.
Take screenshots of the Footnotes for the Business card, and have them ready. It's possible that the CSR was just quoting 'generally-speaking', versus specifically about the Business version.

Still seeing many datapoints on the boards and on our homefront, on getting 25K for the Personal Gold, even when we've had the card prior to July 1st. Business Gold, have done one re-churn during the summer and still got the 40K as expected.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Submitted application for Amex Gold Rewards tonight,via referral link. I closed the same product last December.
Got the "in progress,let you know within 10 days" response.I'll give them a ring-a-ding-ding tomorrow.
If approved.....will see if I get the sign-up points again.

Stay tuned!

btw...thanks for all the many pm's with offers of referral links.So overwhelmed with the choices!
Just got off the phone with Amex.The gentleman said they needed to verify that it was really a genuine application.Confirmed name,address,date of birth....approved.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
Yes, I used the same SPG #. I don't think it would matter that it's the same... but I'll post here when my referral points post
Has anyone been in a situation where you had negative points at the statement date because of a return. Do they take the points back from the SPG account? And what happens if one wants to close the account. Are they charging for these points before closing? I am in this situation and rather use other cards at this time. But eventually will need to cancel the card and like to know way in advance what the process is.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:08 am

anyone know if personal gold purchase in Safeway/Superstore count as 2 points?

2.You can earn 2 Membership Rewards points (“points”) for every $1 in eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: (i) at stand-alone automobile gasoline stations in Canada, (ii) at stand-alone drugstores in Canada, (iii) at stand-alone grocery stores in Canada, and (iv) for travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales but not including local and commuter transportation. Purchases at merchants where gas, grocery, pharmacy and travel sales are not their primary business (including superstores, wholesale clubs, alcohol retailers and general merchandise retailers) do not qualify for the earn rate in this category. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of 1 point for every $1 applies if the merchant code is not in an eligible category, the purchase is made using an electronic wallet or is not made directly from the provider of the good or service, e.g. through a third party or by using a mobile device (e.g. smart phone) with an attached card reader. Provided your account is in good standing, points can be earned on eligible purchases less returns and other credits. Interest, fees, and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies are not purchases and do not earn points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.