Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by durberville
Just got a new AMEX Gold (closed last one this past summer), got referral credit and sign-up bonus, no problem.
Summer? ,when precisely? the date.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by alc
I just applied one via my wife referral. I did have the card a few years ago. My thought is that if I don't get the 20K sign-up bonus, I will at least get the 10K referral bonus. Better than nothing if doesn't work.

If you can hold off for a month or two, I will report back if I get the sign-up bonus or not.

Just curious, did you receive the referral bonus?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Hey all - bit of an off the wall question.

I referred my wife to the AMEX aeroplan platinum. When we never saw the welcome/bonus points posted, we called and they told us it had been deposited into an Aeroplan account that wasn't ours. AMEX claims I we never posted an AEROPLAN number when we signed up so they automatically created an aeroplan account and put them there.

They're now saying we have to call Aeroplan to merge the two accounts.

Now firstly, I am absolutely sure I put my Aeroplan number in when we signed up.

Number 2, I am worried that Aeroplan won't like this. I know you aren't supposed to deposit into an account that isnt' yours (and the Aeroplan account is in my name and the aeroplan platinum card is in my wife's name). I'm worried they'll refuse, or at the least, charge us some fee to transfer 25000 points.

Could anyone comment on whether I'm right or not and have any suggestions on how I proceed from here? AMEX is flat out refusing to look further despite my insistence.

THanks!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eishv
....they automatically created an aeroplan account and put them there.

... the Aeroplan account is in my name and the aeroplan platinum card is in my wife's name)
Your wife applied for an American Express card, but American Express created a new Aeroplan account in your name?

It seems more likely that the Aeroplan account number that you provided was discarded because the name on the credit card application did not match the name on the supplied Aeroplan account number. I imagine the new Aeroplan account is in your wife's name.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:49 pm

Sorry all I should clarify. I have an Aeroplan account in my name.

They then claim that she didn't put in an Aeroplan number so created a new Aeroplan account in her name.

Since we have a lot of points in my account, we would have wanted the points to be deposited in my original account. Now there are two - one in my name (with lots of points), and one in her name, with 25000 points.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...we would have wanted the points to be deposited in my original account. Now there are two - one in my name (with lots of points), and one in her name, with 25000 points.
Do Aeroplan's rules permit linking a credit card issued to anyone other than the account holder? I understand what you wanted to do, but it appears that American Express or Aeroplan detected this discrepancy and created a new account for your wife. I don't think this was a mistake, I think it's their policy.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:16 pm

Yeah, I don't think they do, but I am sure that I'm not the first one to refer his spouse to this card (Amex Aeroplan).....what has other people's experience been?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Yeah, I don't think they do, but I am sure that I'm not the first one to refer his spouse to this card (Amex Aeroplan).....what has other people's experience been?
i imagine most people have separate accounts.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: *void
Do you have screenshots of your application that shows you did enter your Aeroplan number? Just curious.

Anyway, to answer your question, we haven't had issues with using the same Aeroplan and Airmiles account number, on both mine and wife's new cards. And it's not just with Amex...we've done it with CIBC, TD, BMO, MBNA, etc.

By habit, we routinely contact the FI once the new card is issued, to ensure that the FFP number associated to the account is what we specified in the online application...we've only come across once, where there was NO number on file, so we were able to point it correctly. I recommend everyone to be prudent with this verification step when it comes to opening new cards that are associated with a 3rd party FFP. You have to get this corrected BEFORE the first statement cycles, else it's harder to correct once the points post to the 'wrong' account./

At this point, my guess is that it will be difficult to get Aeroplan to send the points from the Aero account in your wife's name, to your Aero account, but maybe you'll get a good and willing rep to help you meet your goal. Best of luck, and let us know!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:31 am

Seems like the referral page changed again.

and also...I recall that the Biz Plat also offered 15k referral bonus. My wife just got one and the referral page only says she gets 10k. I was trying to avoid the self-referral thing, but might have to do it again.

Edit...just looked at the card description on the page that has the whole lineup. Clearly says 10k referral bonus. I'm just debating whether I stick with that or do the self-referral.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:40 am

I can not even do a referral from Gold to Biz, it seems that one can only refer the card one owns.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I can not even do a referral from Gold to Biz, it seems that one can only refer the card one owns.
Send yourself the link and you will see the option
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do Aeroplan's rules permit linking a credit card issued to anyone other than the account holder? I understand what you wanted to do, but it appears that American Express or Aeroplan detected this discrepancy and created a new account for your wife. I don't think this was a mistake, I think it's their policy.
So many folk say they have done it....to my surprise
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:14 pm
alc

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Just curious, did you receive the referral bonus?
Will find out later this month when my wife statement generated. Will report to the group on my results
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by alc
Will find out later this month when my wife statement generated. Will report to the group on my results
Thought I confirmed this a few weeks back?

Did a referral to my wife and myself from my BizGold to regular Gold (3rd Gold card for both of us)

Got both referral miles (15K x 2). And both bonuses (25K X 2). Both cards on new MR #'s.

Since Aeroplat is coming up for renewal/cancellation did the same for the Blue Aeroplan card.

Should get referral, 15K x 2. 5K bonus unknown...just got the card today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.