Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
When I used my card for companion pass in June it didn't credit, probably because the charge ended up being ~$120 with taxes/fees. Honestly not sure but I kind of doubt it should qualify under T&Cs because it is a ticket after all.
Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure what Alaska officially considers it. I mean it could be characterized as a "fee" I guess. But without something concrete to back me up doesn't seem like it is worth the risk.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I wonder if the cheapest flight purchases possible would end up being being captured under the fee credit (I think I've seen $39 and $49 flights) since the amounts are close enough to seat fees or bag charges. Would be an annoying way to go about it as you'd have to book and cancel ~5 reservations (assuming you're at least MVPG+ in order to cancel for wallet credit) to maximize the $200 per Plat. I plan to test next week with one cheapo flight once my new Amex Gold arrives and will report back with results. This will be a significant driver of my decision to keep or cancel my Plat when the AF rolls around next month
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I wonder if the cheapest flight purchases possible would end up being being captured under the fee credit (I think I've seen $39 and $49 flights) since the amounts are close enough to seat fees or bag charges. Would be an annoying way to go about it as you'd have to book and cancel ~5 reservations (assuming you're at least MVPG+ in order to cancel for wallet credit) to maximize the $200 per Plat. I plan to test next week with one cheapo flight once my new Amex Gold arrives and will report back with results. This will be a significant driver of my decision to keep or cancel my Plat when the AF rolls around next month
If you look back through this thread, that's exactly what we've been doing for years to extract the $200 benefit.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by flytoeat
If you look back through this thread, that's exactly what we've been doing for years to extract the $200 benefit.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I've been following and have posted in the thread for several years now, and the rule of thumb posted by many in this thread generally was that anything under $100 was safe. And that's the strategy I've been following on all the cards I have with the fee credit (always looked for two flights in the $90-95 range). But now from what it seems like from all the recent DPs, the rule of thumb that anything <$100 = safe, no longer holds true. Hence my suggestion that as we get close to the time when fee credits renew, maybe the bar needs to be lowered to trying to see if more cheaper flights make it through rather then two ~$90-$100 flights.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure what Alaska officially considers it. I mean it could be characterized as a "fee" I guess. But without something concrete to back me up doesn't seem like it is worth the risk.
I mean you might as well try. Set your airline to alaska and book the ticket. if it doesn't reimburse and you have another way to use it up amex will let you switch the airline if you haven't used any of the credit... here's to hoping it works for you!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by flytoeat
What has worked for reimbursement in the past year no longer works. YMMV
since we book F whenever possible, getting our airline credit will be a real challenge.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Has anyone tried to use the credit for the $99 companion fare and associated taxes and fees? Isn't that something that should work per T&Cs?
Starting Oct 1 or so the companion fare has to be paid for with the Alaska credit card.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Starting Oct 1 or so the companion fare has to be paid for with the Alaska credit card.
Shoot I totally forgot that was thing now, thanks for the reminder. Sucks that I won't be able to use a better-earning card on companion fare purchases, but I would much rather keep the companion fare with this restriction than lose it altogether
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
agreed just wish the Alaska card had better travel protections.. our last AS flights to Hawaii (where we used a comp fare) I had a total gaggle of PNRs from different booking platforms, which made life complicated, but maximized the chances for some trip delay / interrupt if needed. that was a by product of having scattered points, not a real deliberate plan....
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS
Payment by Alaska Visa for companion fare purchase is only required for COMPANION CODES deposited into account Oct 1, 2019 onward. I have a CC earned earlier this year and will be able to use alternate card for that one. Will be the last one under new rules. Then I will have to keep AS Visa open in order to redeem my CC codes in the future.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
Does Amex reimburse premium class seat selection fee? I see it $129 for each way to Hawaii.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by murtuza
Does Amex reimburse premium class seat selection fee? I see it $129 for each way to Hawaii.
That is an intended use of the benefit, so yes. Have fun in Hawaii!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
11/05, Bought one way LAX - BOS during flash sale for 119 Main Cabin as guest + 99$ PE seat selection, did the MVPG gold trick to have it credited to my account.

11/07 - credit posted as passenger ticket

11/17, messaged AMEX chat, they manually credited the 99 seat selection fee. I asked for other credits to be manually credited (one was a partner booking award fee, taxes and fees 2 separate fees 12.50 and 27.12) agent was happy to credit. I think Amex knows AS coding is funky atm so this might be a good way to get your credits, but YMMV
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:58 pm

What? Really? thanks for the reminder. I guess it isn't like I wouldn't have realized it when they wouldn't let me use anything else to pay haha.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by verbyournoun
11/05, Bought one way LAX - BOS during flash sale for 119 Main Cabin as guest + 99$ PE seat selection, did the MVPG gold trick to have it credited to my account.

11/07 - credit posted as passenger ticket

11/17, messaged AMEX chat, they manually credited the 99 seat selection fee. I asked for other credits to be manually credited (one was a partner booking award fee, taxes and fees 2 separate fees 12.50 and 27.12) agent was happy to credit. I think Amex knows AS coding is funky atm so this might be a good way to get your credits, but YMMV
Just want to clarify, so Amex automatically credited your airline ticket (which is not supposed to be allowed) but did not automatically credit your fees, which are actually supposed to be allowed? Yikes, what a mess!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.