Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Anyone know if Alaska has the ability to pre-order food for flights? I am tempted to switch to Alaska for 2020 because I know I am going to be using Alaska for June 2020, but I want to make sure I know all the things that the T&Cs do allow me to credit legally to make sure I can use the credit. Although, I guess at worst I can use it for Main Cabin Extra seat selections, which I would jump at if the seats included food instead of just drinks.
You can pre-order food in coach, but I think all it does is reserve the item, i.e., you pay on board.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink

(scroll down a bit)
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You can pre-order food in coach, but I think all it does is reserve the item, i.e., you pay on board.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink

(scroll down a bit)
Thanks for the information. Bummers I guess it won't work, I am planning on cancelling my Aspire when the AF was due in April so trying to use up the credit before then.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

@moderator - requesting deletion. no option to delete under Edit
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by verbyournoun
np, but thank the posters above for thinking of this not me!

in your case for the aspire a BOS - SD one way costs 119 and PC costs 129 for that route to save some time/OOP cost.
You're a gem. Thanks so much - will give this a whirl later today. Chat with AMEX in 2 weeks will land us in January. Should be OK granted that purchases/transactions were in Dec, correct?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:26 pm

I suggest LAX - BOS you can find those for 109 Main Cabin.
Unable to find a 109 between LAX - BOS. It can technically be any transcon flight (lower the better) to exercise the $99 PC fee, right?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:29 pm

Suggestion: You may have a AS offer 40 off/ 200 spend so this can be a double whammy.

1. Buy a flight without logging in to your account (as a guest) for a transcontinental trip. I suggest LAX - BOS you can find those for 109 Main Cabin.

2. Retrieve that flight after buying (without logging in) and buy a PC upgrade (seat selection fees can be reimbursed back as wallet funds for elites). Reports suggest you can combine step 1 and 2 as they are separate charges when posted but I separated just to be safe. TC flights costs 99$ for the route above.

3. Input your AS number into the flight you purchased and after t+24 hours cancel funds back to your wallet.

4. Within 2 weeks, chat with Amex to get the charge reimbursed (it codes as a ticket but it should be reimbursed as it’s a seat selection fee)

Rinse and repeat until you used up all your charges.
What is the reason for not logging in before buying the ticket?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:56 pm

High status gets free premium seats. Since you need the charge to hit the credit card, you need to be booking without status and then pick up the refund after
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Cheapest I'm seeing is $125 between BOS - LA for main cabin. Please let me know if anyone sees a lower priced transcon!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:34 pm

Got it. I'm just a gold so this makes sense now.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

Hi guys, sorry I haven't read through all prior threads, but just to save myself time, what is working at present with respect to reimbursement of the $200 AMEX fee? Once upon a time, I did gift cards, but I guess that's dead. I've also done some flights early in the year and I think that worked. So what is the current strategy?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Stockjock
Hi guys, sorry I haven't read through all prior threads, but just to save myself time, what is working at present with respect to reimbursement of the $200 AMEX fee? Once upon a time, I did gift cards, but I guess that's dead. I've also done some flights early in the year and I think that worked. So what is the current strategy?
seat, food, bag, lounge
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:47 pm

What about the prior methods, like buying a cheaper flight and/or cancelling within 24 hours? Dead?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:01 pm

What about the prior methods, like buying a cheaper flight and/or cancelling within 24 hours? Dead?
Likely dead. I booked a $38 flight and didn’t cancel, did not credit. Over a month ago.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did that ever work? AS would presumably never actually charge the card.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did that ever work? AS would presumably never actually charge the card.
Yes this worked in the past. Often a cancellation around the 22-23 hour mark would both trigger a credit for the charge and the airline fee credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.