Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by verbyournoun
That is an intended use of the benefit, so yes. Have fun in Hawaii!
Originally Posted by murtuza
Does Amex reimburse premium class seat selection fee? I see it $129 for each way to Hawaii.
I purchased two premium class seats and have NOT received any sign of a fee removal. It hasn't been four weeks, but it has been beyond the usual AMEX turnaround. FWIW the expense posted showing destination and origin so it looks like a flight but I could be wrong. I'll have to reach out to them but its frustrating to say the least.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BLazarus22
I purchased two premium class seats and have NOT received any sign of a fee removal. It hasn't been four weeks, but it has been beyond the usual AMEX turnaround. FWIW the expense posted showing destination and origin so it looks like a flight but I could be wrong. I'll have to reach out to them but its frustrating to say the least.
It is so crazy that Amex and the airlines can't get their crap together, or choose not to, not sure what is the case. Of course, I guess if they did get their crap together, some of the workarounds wouldn't work.
BLazarus22 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:36 pm

Gift card trick

Data point.
Nov 6 bought $50 gift card for wife. Nov 7 used gift card to bring $95 flight to $45.
Nov 14th $45 credit posted.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Just want to clarify, so Amex automatically credited your airline ticket (which is not supposed to be allowed) but did not automatically credit your fees, which are actually supposed to be allowed? Yikes, what a mess!
yep haha

at lease we have excuses to credit small fares as “seat selection” until they clean up their mess
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by just_jim
Data point.
Nov 6 bought $50 gift card for wife. Nov 7 used gift card to bring $95 flight to $45.
Nov 14th $45 credit posted.
Did the gift card code as Alaska and earn bonus points for being airfare, or not?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Payment by Alaska Visa for companion fare purchase is only required for COMPANION CODES deposited into account Oct 1, 2019 onward. I have a CC earned earlier this year and will be able to use alternate card for that one. Will be the last one under new rules. Then I will have to keep AS Visa open in order to redeem my CC codes in the future.
Does Alaska allow you to use multiple forms of payment in one transaction? So can we use the Alaska card for a portion to allow the use of the companion fare and then use the Amex card for the credit?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Does Alaska allow you to use multiple forms of payment in one transaction? So can we use the Alaska card for a portion to allow the use of the companion fare and then use the Amex card for the credit?
Not that I'm aware of, at least for the scenario you're describing. Multiple forms of payment are allowed if using wallet credit or a gift card, assuming those don't fully cover the cost of the purchase. I guess a less than ideal workaround (assuming you're MVPG+ to be able to cancel for wallet credit) could be to first book several ultra cheap tickets that trigger the fee credit, cancel those for wallet credit, and then book the intended ticket with companion fare and use wallet credit for some of the payment along with alaska CC? I haven't tested this but feel free to try and report back if it works.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Not that I'm aware of, at least for the scenario you're describing. Multiple forms of payment are allowed if using wallet credit or a gift card, assuming those don't fully cover the cost of the purchase. I guess a less than ideal workaround (assuming you're MVPG+ to be able to cancel for wallet credit) could be to first book several ultra cheap tickets that trigger the fee credit, cancel those for wallet credit, and then book the intended ticket with companion fare and use wallet credit for some of the payment along with alaska CC? I haven't tested this but feel free to try and report back if it works.
Nope, not MVPG. I totally wish I was.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:26 pm

Premium class seat fee does not credit automatically, but chat agent will credit it after you wait 2 weeks from posting date.
49penguins likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:33 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by UserMark
Premium class seat fee does not credit automatically, but chat agent will credit it after you wait 2 weeks from posting date.
I called and the issue is that Amex incorrectly sees “premium class” as an upgrade, not a seat selection fee. I called in and am still waiting for mine to be posted after 2 weeks, but I trust they will with a nudge.

Buying a cheap ticket didn’t tigger the credit for me. Drinks posted fine.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i use 10 USD wallet to purhcas a ticket <60 (47 USD difference). not reimbursed.
not sure how I can use up the 250 credit.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:41 pm

how does the 50 Giftcard + difference post as a transaction?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
i use 10 USD wallet to purhcas a ticket <60 (47 USD difference). not reimbursed.
not sure how I can use up the 250 credit.
When did you make this purchase?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
When did you make this purchase?
Monday
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:29 pm

What? Really? thanks for the reminder. I guess it isn't like I wouldn't have realized it when they wouldn't let me use anything else to pay haha.
I purchased an Alaska flight using the companion pass on 12/5/19. No reimbursement yet...I did this back in June, 2019 and it reimbursed for me...so fingers crossed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.