Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UserMark
From alaskaair.com about regular paid tickets:
If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My Wallet for future travel. My Wallet funds may not be applied towards the purchase of Premium Class or seats with more legroom.
Is this how it works for those who are not MVPG/75K though? I thought they changed this last year so only MVPG and 75K's can cancel and have the funds applied to MyWallet. This is why so many of us are doing the hoop jump things.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Is this how it works for those who are not MVPG/75K though? I thought they changed this last year so only MVPG and 75K's can cancel and have the funds applied to MyWallet. This is why so many of us are doing the hoop jump things.
I am assuming that anyone can apply funds to their wallet, but only MVPG save on the change fee for non-refundable tickets.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by deedszilla
Did you ever contact Amex on the seat selection fee? Mine is still not showing as a credit under my $200 meter.
Yes. The chat rep couldn't provide a good explanation, but he offered to manually credit it. I asked him to manually credit all of the charges that were sub $100 to fill out the remainder of my $200 credit (some of which were small flight charges). He was happy to do so. Took 1-2 days but the credits showed up. While this was effective, I personally hope they fix the crediting issues soon because it's gonna be reallllyyy annoying to get these manually credited in chat for the 5 or so cards I have with this benefit.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by rtmf
Yes. The chat rep couldn't provide a good explanation, but he offered to manually credit it. I asked him to manually credit all of the charges that were sub $100 to fill out the remainder of my $200 credit (some of which were small flight charges). He was happy to do so. Took 1-2 days but the credits showed up. While this was effective, I personally hope they fix the crediting issues soon because it's gonna be reallllyyy annoying to get these manually credited in chat for the 5 or so cards I have with this benefit.

Appreciate the feedback. 100% agree that i hope this is fixed back to automated crediting. It does seem like AMEX has had some online glitches the last few weeks for not only airline credits, but referrals, etc... so here's to hoping it's just based on some back-end updating or something and this is all straightened out soon.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
So as a 75k, it sounds like my only recourse right now is to book a ticket as a guest, pick a normal seat, go back and then buy a premium economy upgrade. Then add my MP #, then cancel it all back to my wallet. Pretty much needing to fork out 100$ upfront to get the credit. So it sounds like a careful planning game right before I'm going to buy some pricey tickets. Such a pain in the ... and definitely going to be a factor in determining which cards I keep now. Too many card fees are only offset by using these credits, and as an frequent traveler, which this card is targeted to, status makes using the credits just about impossible.

As a side note..do we have any DPs about the Boardroom membership working as a credit?

Last edited by rune87; Oct 31, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by rune87

As a side note..do we have any DPs about the Boardroom membership working as a credit?
My understanding from the T&Cs of the reimbursement program is that memberships and day passes are reimbursable. One problem is that I understand only one credit card can be used to purchase a membership online or on the phone and therefore assuming you only have a $250 or $200 of possible reimbursement on a card, you cannot combine cards to get the $300 (or more) necessary for a membership and will have to pay the difference out of pocket. I have also heard that it might be possible to combine cards at a club, but that has not been verified.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Finally had a charge automatically credit. A $1.50 upfare charge
LIH Prem and akr1970akr like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pcoll
Airfare purchases
10/6 $48.30 Cancelled at 2300 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
10/7 $48.30 Cancelled at 2100 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
NOT REIMBURSED YET
Perhaps after billing cycle of 10/20
Did not reimburse, received statement. Posted clearly as airfare. Getting the airline credit is getting to be a real pain.
CSR makes it painless.

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Finally had a charge automatically credit. A $1.50 upfare charge
Well, at this rate, could take all year to claim small amount of credit. AmEx needs to change something here. Not sure it is worth increase in AF for this card, going forward.

Originally Posted by deedszilla
What a royal PITA for these credits. I mean on one hand, I love AMEX... but on the other this airline credit thing is getting absolutely ridiculous.
I agree.
49penguins likes this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Did not reimburse, received statement. Posted clearly as airfare. Getting the airline credit is getting to be a real pain.
CSR makes it painless.
Are you saying that you were expecting reimbursement for a charge that you cancelled and was credited by AS? Not passing judgement here, but perhaps this practice is what has made Amex stop issuing automatic reimbursements for AS charges.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NPat
Did u chat with Amex to see if the seat upgrade/selection fees are reimbursed?

I am going to fly with Alaska soon and is thinking of using the credit for the premium class... is that what you ment by "seat selection fees"
did it work? I'm flying alaska air soon. If the seat selection doesn't work, I'm probably buying myself lounge passes or food :-D

-D
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Are you saying that you were expecting reimbursement for a charge that you cancelled and was credited by AS? Not passing judgement here, but perhaps this practice is what has made Amex stop issuing automatic reimbursements for AS charges.
It's a constant game with Amex. They close one door and you have to find another. The point of this thread is to educate others as to what works and what doesn't work and we want to encourage everybody to post here, regardless if it's a technique somebody else might use or not.

-David
IndyHoosier and pcoll like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 5, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
11/04 - Paid taxes and fees on JAL Award ticket 34.34

11/09 - Amex Credit Posted

Sidenote: Flying J Sin -> HND and then a few weeks later F HND -> SFO, gotta love Alaska stopover rules. I fly CX F but never JAL F so Im excited for the treat

I should note: this was a modification to an existing award ticket (e.g bought one way sin -> hnd first, then added hnd - sfo later on because I was waiting for F availability)

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Nov 15, 2019 at 12:35 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:48 pm

Paid for my luggage to/from Hawaii. 4 days to credit going over and 5 days on the way back.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:15 am

Companion Fare + taxes and fees

Has anyone tried to use the credit for the $99 companion fare and associated taxes and fees? Isn't that something that should work per T&Cs?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
When I used my card for companion pass in June it didn't credit, probably because the charge ended up being ~$120 with taxes/fees. Honestly not sure but I kind of doubt it should qualify under T&Cs because it is a ticket after all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.