Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by pointscrusher
in my case, everything refunded to wallet. still waiting for credit to post for seat selection charges from the 20th, however.
Also, food for thought. Can't you just book a refundable flight and purchase PC separately, cancel refundable flight back to card and cancel PC back to wallet, therefore only the PC transaction remains with AMEX? Will AMEX know and clawback the PC transaction knowing that its corresponding flight was cancelled (credited)?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Originally Posted by VIT-B
Hilton Aspire: Airline credit timeline...
  1. Dec. 8, 2019: Purchased 2 AS seat upgrades. Separate transactions... $69/$109
  2. Dec. 11, 2019: Fees posted
  3. Dec. 27, 2019: Still NO reimbursement
  4. Dec. 27, 2019: Called customer service number on the back of the Aspire card. Told the representative that I made two separate purchases, which she could see. Explained that they were purchased on my selected airline (AS) for my annual credit. She asked, "what were the purchases for"? I said "seat upgrades". She needed to input the reasoning to request the "manual credit". The rep. said I should see the credit within 5 business days.

Interestingly, I never had issues with the airline credit with AS using my "AMEX Plat". For the last 3 years I've always purchased and cancelled the One Way tickets around the 23 hr mark after purchase. However, with the Hilton Aspire card I have had the same results. This fall I was stuck with my One Way purchases because a reimbursement NEVER posted. So, this time around I decided to call Aspire customer service after waiting over 2 weeks. I'll update the my post/thread on whether the credits post to my account.
***UPDATE *** on my initial post. Calling AMEX to have them manually apply credit for my two seat upgrades worked!

Credit Posted: Hilton Aspire
  • Dec. 30, 2019: Both seat upgrades posted.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by juncakes
Also, food for thought. Can't you just book a refundable flight and purchase PC separately, cancel refundable flight back to card and cancel PC back to wallet, therefore only the PC transaction remains with AMEX? Will AMEX know and clawback the PC transaction knowing that its corresponding flight was cancelled (credited)?
very interesting idea and thanks for sharing! i wouldn't think there's any way for amex to know the transaction was cancelled after the 24 hour mark as it's an as internal transaction at that point. assuming i have success getting credited for the pc selection (was told via chat today to wait 2 weeks), i may give this approach a try. thanks again!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
So booking a refundable flight with Alaska and then purchasing seat upgrades with amex, should trigger the credit? Can cancel both at later point?

How do you book a refundable flight with Alaska? Every fare I see for LAX-JFK is non refundable.

Edit: I found how to book refundable fare using the app

Last edited by Enigma368; Dec 31, 2019 at 6:29 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robchow
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...preferred-plus
  • If a customer voluntarily changes his/her seat selection to a Main Cabin seat and stays on the same flight – there is no refund once purchased, regardless if it was a refundable fare.
  • If a customer voluntarily changes his/her flight once purchased, a refund for the original seat purchase will only be provided if a refundable fare was purchased, in which case the refund will be applied to the original form of payment.
  • If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My Wallet for future travel. My Wallet funds may not be applied towards the purchase of Premium Class or seats with more legroom.
Not sure how this is done in actuality as I never cancelled a refundable fare with PC seats. Maybe the website would give one an option to select wallet as oppose to original form of payment?
Am I reading that right-that buying PC on a non-refundable ticket then makes the entire fare+seat selection fee eligible to be credited into mywallet in the event I cancel it? (For a non MVPG/75K)
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Am I reading that right-that buying PC on a non-refundable ticket then makes the entire fare+seat selection fee eligible to be credited into mywallet in the event I cancel it? (For a non MVPG/75K)
I think yes but you have to pay $125 cancellation fee.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...orts-only.html

The most recent Wikipost text has been copied to the new thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.