Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If inflight internet is billed by the airline it might be reimbursed, BUT if it is billed by GoGo or Panasonic or similar it will not qualify.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:45 pm

When I purchased Gogo on Alaska, it did not trigger the reimbursement. I contacted Amex and they said it isn't a qualified purchase.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:22 pm

2 inflight food purchases posted within 3 days, $8.50 and $9.50.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
how do i buy refundable fare on alaska website? and i cant logon to my account if i want to pay a seat fee... and seat fee is reimbursed automatically?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pbd456
how do i buy refundable fare on alaska website? and i cant logon to my account if i want to pay a seat fee... and seat fee is reimbursed automatically?
When looking at fares for your choice of destinations, look at top of page, below days of the week area. To the right of FILTER RESULTS.
There are two "boxes". Left one is lowest fares and if you click on right one...Refundable Fares. Coach Refundable seat with UPGRADE to Premium is additional fee.
Just noticed that you are 75K with AS, so click on the left area for your prices. There is a box for Gold 75K's to filter for those fares.
You will need to log in to your MP account to continue to upgrade seat portion of purchase.
Refundable fares are full Y for Coach and F for First Class.

Last edited by pcoll; Oct 8, 2019 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pcoll
When looking at fares for your choice of destinations, look at top of page, below days of the week area. To the right of FILTER RESULTS.
There are two "boxes". Left one is lowest fares and if you click on right one...Refundable Fares. Coach Refundable seat with UPGRADE to Premium is additional fee.
Just noticed that you are 75K with AS, so click on the left area for your prices. There is a box for Gold 75K's to filter for those fares.
You will need to log in to your MP account to continue to upgrade seat portion of purchase.
Refundable fares are full Y for Coach and F for First Class.
Thanks. In order to pay for the seat fee, I dont plan to logon to my account, or there would be no fee.

Does upgrade to Premium class would be a fee that get reimbursed by amex? i still have 30 USD for this year to spend.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
Thanks. In order to pay for the seat fee, I dont plan to logon to my account, or there would be no fee.

Does upgrade to Premium class would be a fee that get reimbursed by amex? i still have 30 USD for this year to spend.
Not sure, as some have reported that it was not automatic, others no problem.
I have Chairman Card/AMEX and it does have seat upgrades listed. Wonder if they make you call in for credit?
Perhaps others can chime in on this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Thumbs up Airline Credit on closed card

I paid the AF on my card so I could use it for the Centurian lounge on an upcoming trip. Then I used my card to purchase AS Lounge membership and closed the card a week later. When the lounge purchase credit did not show up on my statement, I called and was told the credit might take up to 4 weeks but the card must remain open until that time. Too late I thought. After the 4 weeks passed, I called to get a check for the AF credit balance, I asked again for the credit toward the lounge purchase. To my pleasant surprise, the rep issued it, although the T&C states the card must remain open until the credit is applied. Another example of HUCA working.
notquiteaff, akr1970akr and pcoll like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:23 am

Another airfare for $88.30 Oct. 8th not reimbursed
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:12 pm

Airfare purchases
10/6 $48.30 Cancelled at 2300 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
10/7 $48.30 Cancelled at 2100 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
NOT REIMBURSED YET
Perhaps after billing cycle of 10/20
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by pcoll
Airfare purchases
10/6 $48.30 Cancelled at 2300 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
10/7 $48.30 Cancelled at 2100 hours - AMEX charge posted 10/9 AS Credit posted 10/10
NOT REIMBURSED YET
Perhaps after billing cycle of 10/20
Maybe "Airfare purchases" is a typo. What did you really buy?
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Maybe "Airfare purchases" is a typo. What did you really buy?
Fair enough
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVP75k, LH ft, IHG PlatAmb, BA, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bruinfan90
I'm MVP/Gold, so I'm able to use my Alaska wallet. My last 4 purchases (which included two independent seat selection purchases), completed in the past 6 weeks, all failed to trigger a reimbursement.

I expect those seat selection purchases will be manually reimbursed to me after the 30-day waiting period, but Amex has clearly tightened their system so much that almost nothing is getting credited back. Some people/purchases seem to be slipping through, but my experiences indicate that those are exceptions.
Can you post and let us know if you get the seat fee reimbursed? And just to clarify, since this is new to me:
I'm a 75k, so I assume I would have to buy a ticket (in main, not saver) in my name but without logging in to my account, pay for the seat upgrade in the seat selection step, complete checkout, subsequently add my mp#, then cancel more than 24hrs later with full refund to my wallet? And then I can call amex a month later and get the seat upgrade part manually credited if it doesn't credit automatically? Also, does "independent seat selection purchase" just mean you buy a ticket and during checkout add the premium seat upgrade during checkout, or do you do a completely separate transaction?

BTW, I made four different sub-$50 purchases three weeks ago and they all did not credit, thus my interest.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I've had many purchases between $5 and $100 over the last month. Booked via AlaskaAir.com and Priceline (both show as being from Alaska). Nothing has been reimbursed. This includes seat purchases.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

10/14 - $50.85
10/14 - $50.85
10/13 - $40.30
10/12 - $70.55
10/10 - $58.55
9/14 - $83.30

None of these triggered reimbursement. Two of these were seat selection fees, which I understood to be under the incidental category. I'm curious if anyone has has tried other traditional incidentals on AS (check bags, in flight purchases, change fees) to see if they're still coding? Maybe there was an overcorrection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.