Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Originally Posted by pichalite
Any reason you bought Alaska GC instead of other regular spend?
I wanted to spend the credit on my AMEX on travel, but I currently didn't have a trip planned. So, I purchased the GC and deposited the balance into my wallet until my next booking.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
8/5 - bought $76 ticket
as of today, 8/8, no credit has been issued and meter has not moved. Will try to remember to update later if they reimburse.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
8/5 - bought $76 ticket
as of today, 8/8, no credit has been issued and meter has not moved. Will try to remember to update later if they reimburse.
any data points if buying a Gc for some of the amount and paying the rest with cash still works?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: all
Exclamation Airline fee $250 reimbursement - Alaska Airlines

Dear all, in order to get reimbursement from American Express, does 'cancellation' of award ticket also qualify? Or it is only 'change' of award ticket?

If I cancel an award ticket online and got charged $125 cancellation fee, do I get reimbursement from American Express?

I thought 'change' and 'cancellation' is the same thing - sometimes it is easier to just cancel and rebook.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:21 pm

8/5 - bought $76 ticket
Update--as of today, 8/13, meter has not moved and have not received credit. Also called in at the 23 hour mark and had them change it to a first class seat, resulting in an additional $55 charge on the card. Neither charge has been reimbursed, despite both having been posted for a while now. Have others had recent success getting <$100 airfare credited? Or any DP on using a gift card as partial payment like on Delta?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Update--as of today, 8/13, meter has not moved and have not received credit. Also called in at the 23 hour mark and had them change it to a first class seat, resulting in an additional $55 charge on the card. Neither charge has been reimbursed, despite both having been posted for a while now. Have others had recent success getting <$100 airfare credited? Or any DP on using a gift card as partial payment like on Delta?
Similar situation. Got a reimbursement last month, but latest did not go through for additional charge on tickets under $99.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Same here, got my <$100 ticket purchase on 7/31 reimbursed, but still waiting on my purchase on 8/6
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Same problem ... After success with several family member cards multiple times in past two months, the most recent charge on 8/6 has not been reimbursed.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Ugh, this is starting to look bad. We might be going to miss out on some fee credits I was expecting to get early next year before doing a downgrade or two. OTOH, just booked two nights at Grand Wailea with the two weekend certs my wife got for upgrading her Hilton Surpass/Ascend to Aspire (one at time of upgrade and another when she renewed a few months later), and we got two years of fee credits already for the maybe $550 in fees paid (pro-rated from time of upgrade plus one full year), and there was the 150k points, so all in all I won’t feel too badly done by if they’re cracking down. But it will thin the Amex herd for us going forward.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:33 pm

anybody tried flights below 50 recently?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone know if we can call to cancel and force the funds into wallet (within 24 hours)? Online cancellation forces refund to credit card.

Update: No

Last edited by frudd38; Aug 25, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Another $53 ticket purchase made last week. No credit issued. Something has definitely changed.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Another $53 ticket purchase made last week. No credit issued. Something has definitely changed.
I guess now we hope that the rumors are true. If they aren't, I'm not sure how I'll really use the credit going forward unless I buy $200 worth of food on alaska every year lol
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I guess now we hope that the rumors are true. If they aren't, I'm not sure how I'll really use the credit going forward unless I buy $200 worth of food on alaska every year lol
sorry - what rumors?

Like many (most) AS travelers I have an AS credit card that gets me 20% off inflight purchases. So using the $200 Amex credit would mean I am paying 20% more than necessary. :/. (besides, I also don’t travel enough on AS to use up $200)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:40 am

Lol same here—it’s a dilemma to save 20% or use my amex credit. Cause I’m not using it on baggage anyways. In regards to the rumors, there are some rumors that Amex might be changing the airline credit to be something closer to the CSR credit. I believe they mentioned improving the platinum’s value in an investor presentation or something like that.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.