Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:11 pm

Did u chat with Amex to see if the seat upgrade/selection fees are reimbursed?

I am going to fly with Alaska soon and is thinking of using the credit for the premium class... is that what you ment by "seat selection fees"
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by NPat
Did u chat with Amex to see if the seat upgrade/selection fees are reimbursed?

I am going to fly with Alaska soon and is thinking of using the credit for the premium class... is that what you ment by "seat selection fees"
No haven't chatted yet. I will in a week or so.

Yes that is what I meant by seat selection fee—selecting a seat in premium economy. Per the terms, seat selection charges must be separate from the ticket charge in order for reimbursement to occur. This was the case with mine, but it the charge on Amex still shows as a ticket. So it may be a combination of Amex tightening up their business logic and Alaska being lazy with their coding. Not sure.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I know this is pretty old but
9/7 - $109.00 Upgraded to Premium Economy
9/10 - $100.00 Reimbursed on Amex Gold

It's not a class upgrade but more of a seat selection fee so maybe that's why it was reimbursed?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by hyukyoo

It's not a class upgrade but more of a seat selection fee so maybe that's why it was reimbursed?
Did you do the upgrade at the time of ticket purchase or after?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hyukyoo

AS doesn't have premium economy -- it's still economy but with a better seat
jeepie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Do people still have airline credits this late in the year?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Jose666
Can you post and let us know if you get the seat fee reimbursed?
I did get both seat selection fees manually credited back to me via Amex chat (after waiting 30 days).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVP75k, LH ft, IHG PlatAmb, BA, UA, AA
Thanks so much for letting us know! So, to clarify, do I need to buy a ticket in main without logging in (because I'm 75k), then at a later time buy a seat upgrade, and then even later add my MP# so that I can cancel if necessary and put everything (fare and seat fee) in my Alaska wallet? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Do people still have airline credits this late in the year?
Some people get new credit cards throughout the year. Crazy concept.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Thanks so much for letting us know! So, to clarify, do I need to buy a ticket in main without logging in (because I'm 75k), then at a later time buy a seat upgrade, and then even later add my MP# so that I can cancel if necessary and put everything (fare and seat fee) in my Alaska wallet? Thanks in advance!
What a royal PITA for these credits. I mean on one hand, I love AMEX... but on the other this airline credit thing is getting absolutely ridiculous.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 75k
If you pay a seat fee when you buy the ticket, it comes through as a separate charge, so you don't need to buy it later. If/when you cancel the ticket, the seat fee is refunded back to the original form of payment rather than to your Alaska wallet, at least that's how it works on an award ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
If you pay a seat fee when you buy the ticket, it comes through as a separate charge, so you don't need to buy it later. If/when you cancel the ticket, the seat fee is refunded back to the original form of payment rather than to your Alaska wallet, at least that's how it works on an award ticket.
From alaskaair.com about regular paid tickets:
If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My Wallet for future travel. My Wallet funds may not be applied towards the purchase of Premium Class or seats with more legroom.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by UserMark
If a non-refundable ticket is cancelled, then both the ticket price and the seat upgrade fee will be credited to the customer's My Wallet for future travel. My Wallet funds may not be applied towards the purchase of Premium Class or seats with more legroom.
I stand corrected.🙂
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by UserMark
also keep in mind it’s travel on AS only. The my wallet funds are no good to use for fees and taxes on partner awards
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rtmf
No haven't chatted yet. I will in a week or so.

Yes that is what I meant by seat selection fee—selecting a seat in premium economy. Per the terms, seat selection charges must be separate from the ticket charge in order for reimbursement to occur. This was the case with mine, but it the charge on Amex still shows as a ticket. So it may be a combination of Amex tightening up their business logic and Alaska being lazy with their coding. Not sure.
Did you ever contact Amex on the seat selection fee? Mine is still not showing as a credit under my $200 meter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.