Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
AS and Partner Award

Can you use the wallet credit for both partner and AS rewards taxes ?

Originally Posted by nas6034
Used it for award ticketing fees/taxes and received credit of upto $100.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by navatwal
Can you purchase a gift certificate on AS and apply to my wallet and then use these funds to pay taxes on reward flights?
The answer is yes.
Unlike Discount Codes from AS, which are good for usually 1 year, AS Gift certificates go into My Wallet funds and are good until used up. There is no expiration date. Discount codes are deposited into different area of AS Mileage Plan account. Can only use 1 at a time when booking fare.
Funds deposited from AS Fare Guarantee (fares later reduced) are deposited into the Wallet and need to be used with time listed (again, usually 1 year) Somehow, I have a memory of some funds being good for only 9 months but, cannot remember the source of those.

Originally Posted by navatwal
Can you use the wallet credit for both partner and AS rewards taxes ?
AS wallet funds can be used only for flights on AS metal.
I tried to use funds to pay for fare on VX booked through AS site.
Could not use funds, told because VX is partner and not AS Metal (yet)
Reports of being able to use Companion Codes( from AS Visa card ) when booking VX flights through AS site is now available.
Told that funds in wallet will be available for use on VX flights soon.

Last edited by mia; Apr 2, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:45 pm

Credit not posting

Am I doing something wrong? Bought a $100 AS egift card on 3/13 statement credit never posted. Tried again for a $50 AS egift card on 3/30. Still no credit. Both charges show up as "Alaska Air Gift Cert - SEATTLE WA" so I don't want to call in. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by balian1131
Am I doing something wrong? Bought a $100 AS egift card on 3/13 statement credit never posted. Tried again for a $50 AS egift card on 3/30. Still no credit. Both charges show up as "Alaska Air Gift Cert - SEATTLE WA" so I don't want to call in. Any thoughts?
You did choose Alaska as your airline?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:37 am

I purchased a bunch of Alaska tickets and now I'm seeing 3 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement lines that add up to $200. I was assuming I'd have to purchase gift certificates but it appears I'm being reimbursed for the tickets? Am I missing anything?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I purchased a bunch of Alaska tickets and now I'm seeing 3 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement lines that add up to $200. I was assuming I'd have to purchase gift certificates but it appears I'm being reimbursed for the tickets? Am I missing anything?
Is each individual charge for under $100? There's evidence that any AS charges under this threshold meet the "incidental" trigger as far as Amex is concerned.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Is each individual charge for under $100? There's evidence that any AS charges under this threshold meet the "incidental" trigger as far as Amex is concerned.
One corresponds to a $62.20 ticket purchase and one a $104.20 purchase. The other is a $33.60 reimbursement that must just be the balance of the $200 credit. I'll take it
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by M2LA
nope, made the change from united to alaska and then made the purchase. I don't think I gave it overnight, cannot remember. the credit is not there. I will take a flight with them shortly so that is fine but for the life of me I cannot figure a way to get a credit that I will actually use. I only really fly to europe and they allow me a n/c bag. seat upgrades I dont care about. sorry for the rant, but they should have just kept the amazon deal in place. would love to keep a prg but not for the af they charge.
just to close the loop, the credit from my $ 100 purchase never showed up. I chatted into ax the other day and said this routine has been working for others I know but not me. csr stated the rules of which gift certs are not included but gave me the credit anyhow and ended with thanks for being a loyal customer since 1985. credit showed up the next day. things that sometimes work are not things that work to me. getting an everyday for my points and closing the prg...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:30 am

Just to update. It looks like most credit is being applied 2 days later. I tried with the Amex Gold. Posted on 17th. No credit. I had already added Alaska as my preferred airline with the card. I do note that while it has posted, there still shows a temporary authorization of $1.02 on my amex account so I'm hopeful that wants that goes away, I receive the credit. I'm not that optimistic though as it appears no one receives credit if it's been past 2 days since the transaction posted. I did $100.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by M2LA
just to close the loop, the credit from my $ 100 purchase never showed up. I chatted into ax the other day and said this routine has been working for others I know but not me. csr stated the rules of which gift certs are not included but gave me the credit anyhow and ended with thanks for being a loyal customer since 1985. credit showed up the next day. things that sometimes work are not things that work to me. getting an everyday for my points and closing the prg...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL Gold; UA 2P
still working...

DP for personal Plat.

Purchased $100 gift certificate on 4/15. On 4/17, transaction went from pending to posted, backdated to the actual purchase date of 4/15. Airline fee reimbursement showed up on the same day, 4/17.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mboyd182
Just to update. It looks like most credit is being applied 2 days later. I tried with the Amex Gold. Posted on 17th. No credit. I had already added Alaska as my preferred airline with the card. I do note that while it has posted, there still shows a temporary authorization of $1.02 on my amex account so I'm hopeful that wants that goes away, I receive the credit. I'm not that optimistic though as it appears no one receives credit if it's been past 2 days since the transaction posted. I did $100.

update! Posted overnight last night. Woot! So it just goes to show that if it shows posted but there's still a pending charge of 1.01 on your card from Alaska that has to clear before you receive credit.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by mboyd182
... still a pending charge of 1.01 on your card from Alaska that has to clear before you receive credit.
There's no connection between the test charge, which many merchants use to validate cards, and the posting of the reimbursement.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:09 pm

DP for PRG:

4/19: Bought $100 AS Cert
4/21: Credit posted
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:48 am

PRG:
4-24 Purchased $50 AS Cert.
4-26 Airline Fee Reimbursement posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.