Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mia
One factor is that it's less expensive for American Express to process online applications, and in the process they are able to collect and validate additional information and encourage the customer to manage the new account online.
Perhaps. But when I signed onto my existing account at amex.com, and went through the application process for the Amex Plat, I wasn't offered any bonus MR points, not 50K MR points, not 25K MR points, not even 10K points. No points offered at all when going through the amex.com portal.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Amex Reserve/Plat
Originally Posted by ratatouille
Its still valid.
Just make sure you see the following keywords.

On the initial application page it should say in Bold

ENJOY 50,000 MEMBERSHIP REWARDS BONUS POINTS
WHEN YOU SPEND $1,000 IN YOUR FIRST 3 MONTHS

On the ENTER INFORMATION page, below the Terms & Conditions at paragraph #4, there should be a line with the promo ID

Bonus ID 4986
Is this now dead? I'm ready to pull the trigger but when I go through the application process all I'm seeing is Bonus ID 4880 with no mention of a specific amount of MR bonus points. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by LAXHOUND
Is this now dead? I'm ready to pull the trigger but when I go through the application process all I'm seeing is Bonus ID 4880 with no mention of a specific amount of MR bonus points. Any clarification would be appreciated.
If you have another AmEx card, it might be creating issues. Try clearing cookies or using a different browser. Not sure if it's still active or not, but some have indicated that they can only see the promo after clearing cookies, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
If you have another AmEx card, it might be creating issues. Try clearing cookies or using a different browser. Not sure if it's still active or not, but some have indicated that they can only see the promo after clearing cookies, etc.
use different browser +1
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: Continited, DL, KLM/AF, AA, US, AS, AC, VS, LH, BA, QF, NH
I've cleared all my cookies (currently have a Premier Rewards Gold card) and have been trying the Plat application link from the Points Guy's site - every time I've received the "system is not responding, try again" message. Frustrating, as I'm trying to apply for the OnePass Plus card, and want to submit both applications at the same time - actually had both online forms filled out in separate windows.

Has anyone had success with this in the last day or so?

EDIT: Used another link for the application. Instant approval

Last edited by NurseRatched; Feb 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Got the 50k offer yesterday, directly off amex website.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:56 am

I can't even find an offer of any type on the AMEX site. Guess I can just keep trying or wait for them to send me something. The last time I received an offer in the mail, it had no related bonus with it.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:10 am

Well, to my surprise, the 50K offer showed up this morning before I logged into the AMEX website. The thing is, once I as on my page, the offer disappeared.

Question, this was an offer to get a plat card and not an upgrade offer. That said, I have a gold card. What happens if I get approved for the plat card? Do I have to cancel the gold, do they give me the same number, remaining MR points, previous membership fee paid on gold, etc.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bishope2
... not an upgrade offer. That said, I have a gold card. What happens if I get approved ....
New account, new number. Points earned by both card accounts will be commingled in same Membership Rewards account. If you subsequently elect to cancel the Gold card account American Express will automatically issue a prorated refund of the unearned annual fee. Do NOT cancel before applying for the new account unless your MR balance is zero.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:06 am

Are you eligible for the 50K offer if you already have a gold card? I plan on cancelling my gold card after I get this one, but just want to be sure I won't have any problems getting the 50K points...

BTW, how do they know to link the MR between your two accounts, if you don't tell them about your current card? Based on your SSN or name/address?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:15 am

Finiteyoda, if I can recommend something, listen the folks on here. People with real life experience are great.

As for me, I pulled the trigger the other day. I did the application on line. Prior to that I called AMEX, like you, I have the gold card. The CSA was great. She told me not to cancel my gold until I have possesion of the plat card. The told me the MR will be linked. As for the 50K, it is for new plat card members, which we are.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Cypriote
I already booked a vacation of more than $3k so I should get the 50k MRP pretty fast, as well as the annual $100 credit. I will post here to confirm when the points hit my MR First account.
The 50k MR points just hit my account today! 10 days after making the qualifying purchase. Did not even have to call Amex.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:50 am

Getting the runaround about 50k bonus

I recently applied for a platinum card with a 50k bonus. At the time, I don't think the bonus was active on the AMEX website but a third-party link. Currently the link appears to be active (50k bonus for 1000 spend/3 months). The application I used had the same terms and bonus ID as the current offer. I called AMEX because they needed a confirmation of my address and at the time I inquired about my bonus offer. The agent on the phone stated that she had 25k listed but "was sure that I'd receive the bonus that I signed up for." After I submitted a fax with a confirmation of my address, I spoke to an agent regarding that and again inquired about the bonus. She stated 25k again, saying that's what I signed up for. I explained that it wasn't, and she countered with that the application was encrypted and 25k was the offer I received. I simply stated that I wouldn't activate the card if that were the case and again quoted my bonus ID, to no avail. Any reason why AMEX is being a big pain about this, and any way to remedy it? I've never had an AMEX with MR points.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cypriote
The 50k MR points just hit my account today! 10 days after making the qualifying purchase. Did not even have to call Amex.
Hmm...I received my Plat card in late December and immediately spent $3k on it. No MR points received yet, so I emailed customer service and they're asking me what promo code I used--I signed up through the banner ad. If I don't have my points by this week, I'm canceling. =)

Edit: CS wrote back and said I'd get the points for sure, and that I had met the threshold on 12/29. They said it takes 2 months to get the points, so that would make it around 2/28. We'll see, but I kind of think I probably never would have gotten the points had I not emailed them. I bet that there was a glitch, and they cleared it up. Now that I've been cleared for the points, I'll get them in 7-10 days. But they just told me 8 weeks from 12/29 b/c then it seems like they're competent!

Last edited by lobo411; Feb 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by krusty1231
I recently applied for a platinum card with a 50k bonus. At the time, I don't think the bonus was active on the AMEX website but a third-party link. Currently the link appears to be active (50k bonus for 1000 spend/3 months).
I can top that...I applied through the AMEX website in mid-December, when the promo was clearly active. I spent $3000 by Jan 14, and immediately paid my balance. The 3000 MR points for that spend have posted, but the 50,000 MR points have not. I emailed customer service, and they said they needed to research it, but I'm worried that this is the beginning of a run-around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.