Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by uhclem
I applied for the card in early February under ID: 4986 and reached the $1k spend on Feb 11.

Didn't see any points bonus appear on my account so I sent a secure email asking about the status of the offer. I stated I had a copy of the web site with the T&C.

Got a quick reply stating the offer would be honored and if the points don't appear by early-mid April, they would be added manually. Hooray for customer service!
It does take a while for them to post, about one cycle after the statement closes.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cypriote
The 50k MR points just hit my account today! 10 days after making the qualifying purchase. Did not even have to call Amex.
hmmm...Cyproit - you are making me nervous. My timing was about the same - Can't remember what day I actually received the card but my $1k purchase was on 1-28 and my total purchases for the first month were over $2k and I have no received any MRs - either the bonus ones NOR the the 2000+ that I should have received for total charges in the first billing cycle. The statement just closed and I've already paid the account in full....
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lawgirl28
...NOR the the 2000+ that I should have received for total charges in the first billing cycle. ....
This is normal, the points lag one full billing cycle. Go to membershiprewards.com, login, Click: Points Summary > Statement Details tab to look for Pending points.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is normal, the points lag one full billing cycle. Go to membershiprewards.com, login, Click: Points Summary > Statement Details tab to look for Pending points.
Help. My statement closed yesterday and I looked under the statement details for membership rewards points and it only shows the loan and transfer of the 50,000 points. It does not show the points for the $1050 I spent nor does it show the bonus 50,000. Does that take a day or two to show? I called Amex and they said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to post? They said there was a bonus associated with my account but when they clicked on their internal number it showed an error code. I gave them the bonus code I had 4986 and she said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to post. BTW, I had previously sent a secure email and I got a response that asked for the code on my mailer even though I stated I applied online. So I called up instead. I am starting to get nervous that I will have a fight on my hands. I did keep copies and screen shots, and I called prior to activating the account. Should I wait or should I escalate the issue now?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:02 am
mia

Originally Posted by Carolellen607
Does that take a day or two to show?
Yes. Remember it's the weekend, when system maintenance is performed, and Monday is a bank holiday. Look again on Tuesday, and if the 1,050 points are not shown as Pending, send'em an email.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. Remember it's the weekend, when system maintenance is performed, and Monday is a bank holiday. Look again on Tuesday, and if the 1,050 points are not shown as Pending, send'em an email.
The 1050 points are now showing as pending but not the 50,000 as in others accounts. What should I do?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:19 am
mia

What should I do?
You've already done it. American Express has verified that a promotion is shown on your account and told you that it will take 6-8 weeks to post. It's typical that bonus points do not show as pending. I would expect the points to post in April.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Help. My statement closed yesterday and I looked under the statement details for membership rewards points and it only shows the loan and transfer of the 50,000 points. It does not show the points for the $1050 I spent nor does it show the bonus 50,000. Does that take a day or two to show? I called Amex and they said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to post? They said there was a bonus associated with my account but when they clicked on their internal number it showed an error code. I gave them the bonus code I had 4986 and she said it will take 6 to 8 weeks to post. BTW, I had previously sent a secure email and I got a response that asked for the code on my mailer even though I stated I applied online. So I called up instead. I am starting to get nervous that I will have a fight on my hands. I did keep copies and screen shots, and I called prior to activating the account. Should I wait or should I escalate the issue now?
same situation here only I haven't talked to them on the phone. Received the same email back though. I have the screenshot at work and am going to send them a scan tomorrow of the screenshot, dated and timed, with the screenshot of my auto-approval dated a few minutes after the screenshot of the offer. I also did the immediate 50K transfer and have the huge negative balance - boy, that might turn out to be a HUGE mistake. But I will fight to the finish on it - but hopefully it works out once the screenshot is sent...

My hubby has a huge MR balance on his account - stupid that I just didn't get him to do the 50K transfer into my DL account but too late for that. I assume that he can't just "gift" me 50k MRs from his account?

how long do you have to "repay" the negative balance? Having nightmares of me charging $20K worth of gift cards at the grocery store at the end of the year to earn the needed points....
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:19 pm
mia

Originally Posted by lawgirl28
...how long do you have to "repay" the negative balance?
12 months.

If the wording the boilerplate email that you received from customer service is causing you anxiety, send a Flyertalk PM to the User ID: Amex Customer Care. Don't include any confidential information in the PM, just a brief description of your concern. Beth, Rachel or another member of the team will probably ask you to submit more information through the secure messaging facility on americanexpress.com, and will explain how to route the message to the Social Media group.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, National Exec, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, SPG Gold
interesting datapoint:

signed up and was approved for the Plat using the active 50K for $1000 spend promo (already have the Delta Plat). Forwarded 50K points to my Skymiles to get the 50% percent bonus. As soon as I hit the $1000 spend and after the first statement I called AMEX to inquire about the points. I was forwarded to Membership Rewards. They did a check and informed me that Bonus ID 4986 had expired on Jan 10. I replied that the promotion was still active and visible on the AMEX homepage which they also confirmed. The case was referred for review.

Here's the interesting part: got a call today saying that the 50K MR points would be added BUT that this was a one time exception because THE PROMOTION WAS FOR NEW CARDMEMBERS ONLY. Evidently the fact that I have the Delta Plat card should have disqualified me.

According to the T&C's: "This promotion is valid for first-time Platinum Card (R) members only."

I got the points so I'm not going to complain, but the wording in T&C's suggests that is valid for first-time Platinum Card members not first-time AMEX members. The DL Plat cards is not the same as the AMEX Plat in terms of features or cost.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:15 pm
mia

Originally Posted by infradig
...the wording in T&C's suggests that is valid for first-time Platinum Card members not first-time AMEX members.
The wording seems unambiguous to me. It's evident that there is some American Express system problem with this specific promotion, that's why we have the thread. I wouldn't pay much attention to the excuses or explanations. The published terms are binding, their intentions are irrelevant.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The wording seems unambiguous to me. It's evident that there is some American Express system problem with this specific promotion, that's why we have the thread. I wouldn't pay much attention to the excuses or explanations. The published terms are binding, their intentions are irrelevant.
I was told that since I wasn't tageted, the 50k MR bonus wasn't available. it is the first site that pops up when "platinum AMEX" is googled... the CS personnel didn't seem to care...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by scottandtracy
I was told ...
This was not a targeted offer. Were you told this prior to applying, or after the fact?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
So has anyone *recently* applied for this and successfully earned the bonus 50K MR? And I'm still confused if having a Plat DL AmEx disqualifies one from the offer (assuming it's still viable)...

Amex, you kinda flubbed this one...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by akcae
So has anyone *recently* applied for this and successfully earned the bonus 50K MR? And I'm still confused if having a Plat DL AmEx disqualifies one from the offer (assuming it's still viable)...

Amex, you kinda flubbed this one...
I applied 28 January with T&C saying first-time Platinum cardholders. At the time, I had the DL Gold AmEx (since upgraded to Platinum). Just checked my MR statement details online, and the 50K points are showing as credited there. I'm guessing that they'll erase the advance either when the statement closes later this week or when the new month hits next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.