Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT

This is the link to the offer: http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge.../Platinum-Card

I called Amex last night to check if the offer was still valid and was told that it expired Jan 10. It's still on their website and being offered through other partners as well (e.g., Mint.com). If I apply for this Platinum card, am approved and fulfill the spending requirement, will Amex honor the 50k MR Points offer or won't they?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:45 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Cypriote
... called Amex last night to check if the offer was still valid ...
What did you see that lead you to think that the offer might not be valid? This offer appears on American Express's own website, and I don't see any expiration date, but I haven't combed the fine print thoroughly.

If you already have an American Express account, and if you are concerned, I would use the secure email facility on the website to request written verification that the offer is still valid. If the initial reply is that the offer has expired, ask why it is still running on their site and where the expiration date is disclosed.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I would use the secure email facility on the website to request written verification that the offer is still valid.
Thanks for the advice. I just did that and hopefully they will reply fast.
I know it's silly because the offer is still on their website so there should be no problem but 2 different reps told me on the phone that they had members who were not awarded the 50k MRP because they had signed up after Jan 10.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:37 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

... they had members who were not awarded the 50k MRP because they had signed up after Jan 10.
I am skeptical that a CSR could know this on 28 January. Insufficient time has elapsed for the applications to have been processed, cards delivered, purchases made and bonuses claimed.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I received a reply from Amex in my Message Center. Here it is:

---------
Response (Redacted Name) 01/28/2011 10:58 AM
Good Morning Redacted Name,

I understand your concern regarding the promotion and will be glad to go over this with you.

According to the information I have, Bonus ID 4986 has expired. It was valid from 11/08/2010 - 01/10/2011: New Cardmembers acquired between November 8, 2010 - January 10, 2011 will get 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points when they spend $1,000 within first 3 months of Cardmembership.

Please click on the link below to review any eligible Card promotions and apply for the one that best fits your needs:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap...stservfaq_cgq4

I am sorry for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you. I value your membership since Redacted Year and look forward to assisting you in the future.
Sincerely, Redacted Name Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
---------

I find it extremely weird that Amex would not take down an expired offer from their website...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:20 am
mia

... Bonus ID 4986 has expired....
Please click on the link below to review any eligible Card promotions and apply for the one that best fits your needs:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap...stservfaq_cgq4
And, of course, when you click that link offer 4986 is displayed . I will ask Amex Customer Care to investigate and post here.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:36 am

i did not go through the website, but i was just upgraded to platinum today and given 50k in membership first points.

She said i had received an email. So i did it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I have had my GPR Card for less than a year and thus would have to wait to be upgraded and receive 50-100k MRP like you did...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:25 am

I applied for the platinum amex card with the 50k point offer on 1/22. I have printed copies and screenshots to be sure. I just got the card. Before even activating it, I called Amex to double check that I would be getting the points after I spend $1000 on the card. The agent said that they are now running such a promo and would check specifically if I would be getting the points. He checked and said that I definitely would get the points.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:11 pm

I received my 50,000 points today on my 2nd Platinum card. I cleared cookies on my computer to get to the page with the bonus #.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:32 pm
Company Representative - Amex

Hi Cypriote,

The link you provided will still launch the offer, however the offer has expired and no longer appears when you search directly on our web site for current offers.

If you have already applied, and would like me to review your account, please send me an email via our Secure Message Center and I will be happy to review your account.

Please log in to our Secure Message Center at:

americanexpress.com/messagecenter

If you are not registered to access your account online, simply click on the continue box located on the right to create a User ID and password.

After logging in, click on the box Compose A Message and select Social Media Inquiry for Choose a Topic. If you address your email to me Beth/FlyerTalk I will respond directly to you.

I look forward to hearing from you. It is my pleasure to assist.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
...the offer has expired and no longer appears when you search directly on our web site for current offers.
It may not show up when you search but, as late as yesterday, it showed up unrequested, front and center, on the login splash screen for me.

If the offer expired on 10 Jan 2011, this is borderline fraud.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Trapezeus
i did not go through the website, but i was just upgraded to platinum today and given 50k in membership first points.

She said i had received an email. So i did it.
Are you saying you got upgraded and got 50k? I heard some people couldn't get bonus points when they upgraded to platinum. This is completely new to me.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Okto
...fraud....
It's a mistake, not fraud, and if American Express honors the bonus for those who applied after the scheduled expiration rate there's no injury.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
... if American Express honors the bonus
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Considering the difficulty people have receiving their bonuses when they do everything right, I wish them luck on this one. But fair enough, I withdraw my claim of "fraud" and give AX the benefit of the doubt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.