Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
I can top that...I applied through the AMEX website in mid-December, when the promo was clearly active. I spent $3000 by Jan 14, and immediately paid my balance. The 3000 MR points for that spend have posted, but the 50,000 MR points have not. I emailed customer service, and they said they needed to research it, but I'm worried that this is the beginning of a run-around.
Same deal. Applied / approved in November for 50K points, they haven't posted yet.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:58 pm

I'm waiting for two MR promos, one for 100,000 MR for plat and another for 50,000 for PR Gold. Very quickly met spending requirements for both cards ($1K for plat, $500 for gold) and paid the outstanding balances. Did not see bonus points so I called CSR and was told that it typically takes something like 2 billing cycles for the points to post. Bummer. Wanted to transfer the points to BA and take advantage of the 40% bonus offer but it looks like that offer will expire before I actually get the points.

Has anyone ever gotten AMEX to expedite the posting of bonus MR's? I was told it can't be done but maybe someone has gotten this done for them? I suppose that I could borrow 60K points against my plat acct and get 24K additional BA miles, but I"d much rather have the additional 60K bonus miles!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I can top that...I applied through the AMEX website in mid-December, when the promo was clearly active. I spent $3000 by Jan 14, and immediately paid my balance. The 3000 MR points for that spend have posted, but the 50,000 MR points have not. I emailed customer service, and they said they needed to research it, but I'm worried that this is the beginning of a run-around.
When I received my Plat, I called CSR before activating it and had her notate my account to be sure I'll receive 50k MR after the $1000 spend.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by krpjr
When I received my Plat, I called CSR before activating it and had her notate my account to be sure I'll receive 50k MR after the $1000 spend.
Ya, I have an email from them now verifying that I met the spend requirement in late December and should be getting the points 8-12 weeks from that date. The issue for me is that I actually decided to cancel the card before activating it, because I was leery of the $450 annual fee. The retention agent I spoke with said I could use 45000 of the points to pay the fee, so I decided to keep the card for a year to see if I liked it.

The points hadn't posted by mid-January, when my annual fee posted. So I called again to cancel, and another agent offered to defer the fee long enough for the points to post. The deferral has expired, and lo...the points haven't posted.

I'm trying to avoid paying the annual fee with cash because none of the MR options look attractive to me right now. The only two I could actually use are 1. Amazon (0.7 cents per point) and 2. Cash (0.5 cents per point), and both are ripoffs. I could use the points for mileage runs, but I'm currently looking for work so cash has more utility to me right now. Paying the annual fee with cash and then holding the points is the equivalent of trading $450 in cash for points that *might* be valued anywhere from $250 to $450. Poor risk vs reward.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:49 am

Bonus Discrepency

Well I had to call AMEX to verify my address, and they still hadn't received the fax I sent, and I inquired about my bonus, and 25k was stated. The rep stated that I could wait and spend and then inquire (been around long enough to know that was a poor decision) or just reapply. I got fed up with dealing with this and knew I would probably never get the 50k, so I just reapplied and was approved despite having the unverified address, with 50k bonus. Word of the wise, don't apply via a third-party link or site, and if you do, take screenshots of everything. If a link isn't active on AMEX, basically AMEX will say that they cant control what is on third-party sites and vice versa.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I'm trying to avoid paying the annual fee with cash because none of the MR options look attractive to me right now. The only two I could actually use are 1. Amazon (0.7 cents per point) and 2. Cash (0.5 cents per point), and both are ripoffs. I could use the points for mileage runs, but I'm currently looking for work so cash has more utility to me right now. Paying the annual fee with cash and then holding the points is the equivalent of trading $450 in cash for points that *might* be valued anywhere from $250 to $450. Poor risk vs reward.
Are they not available for "pre-use"? Generally you can take an advance on MR points and have a year to earn them back. Since you know the bonus is coming, you could likely go ahead and do this.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Just in case anyone else has problems, here's my thread with Amex Customer Care on this (that resulted in the correct promotion being applied - it looks like the web enrollment may not have done this, I applied/was approved on 11/25/2010 - and per the FT TOS, names removed):

Response (AMEX Agent) 02/15/2011 07:32 PM

Dear mreed911,

I understand your concern regarding the 50,000 bonus points.

I am afraid; I do not see this offer on your account. We have a huge data base of promotions. I tried to search for this offer for you; however, I could not find one.

Therefore, we request you to provide us the promotion code and all the additional details regarding the offer. You will find this code either on your mail or email which you might have received regarding the offer.

Once we receive the offer code which is an alpha numeric code or you may find the bonus id which is four digit codes (numeric), it will help me in locating the promotion for you. I would be then able to post the additional Membership Reward Points to your account.

Alternately, you may also send us a copy of the promotional solicitation at:

Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit
American Express Membership Rewards
PO Box 297813
Ft Lauderdale FL 33329-7813

I hope you find this information useful and we anticipate your reply. Thank you for choosing American Express.

Sincerely,

AMEX Agent
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services
Customer (mreed911) 02/16/2011 03:25 PM

It's still posted on your own web site:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge.../Platinum-Card

Doing some research, the ID seems to be 4986. I don't see this anywhere in the offer on your web site, but here's the text of another customer's interaction regarding this offer during the timeframe I applied (late november 2010):

"According to the information I have, Bonus ID 4986 has expired. It was valid from 11/08/2010 - 01/10/2011: New Cardmembers acquired between November 8, 2010 - January 10, 2011 will get 50,000 Membership Rewards bonus points when they spend $1,000 within first 3 months of Cardmembership."
Response (AMEX Agent) 02/16/2011 04:27 PM

Dear mreed911,

Yes, I was able to view the promotion offer mentioned in your Card. I would like to inform you that 50,000 bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement.

Therefore, I would request you to allow 6-8 weeks after meeting the spend threshold for the bonus points to post on your account. If you do not receive by that time, please let us know and we will be more than glad to assist you.

I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to write in to us.
Sincerely, AMEX Agent Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cypriote
The 50k MR points just hit my account today! 10 days after making the qualifying purchase. Did not even have to call Amex.
+1
Got card, spent money, ten days later 50k points showed up. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones from reading some of the posts above.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:48 am

Smile Can you get both bonuses with Gold & Platinum?

Hi, I got the gold Amex with 50K bonus a few months ago. Met spend req. and got the bonus.

I then saw the plat 50K bonus offer with 1K spend, so applied for it through link in FTG and was approved. Just received the card. Is there any reason that I wouldn't get the 50K bonus on this card since I just got a 50K bonus on the gold? Is there some kind of limit to bonuses you can get from Amex? (I easily spend 1K a month at Costco with 4 kids & a dog.)

I'm wanting to transfer my points to Delta for the 50% bonus because we are planning a trip for spring break and would love to use the points to buy tickets.

TIA
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by momof4kids1dog1guineapig
I'm wanting to transfer my points to Delta for the 50% bonus because we are planning a trip for spring break and would love to use the points to buy tickets.
From what I hear, that could be difficult with 150,000 SkyPiles, but I digress...

It depends on the terms and conditions of the offer. I haven't found a currently valid 50K MR offer (though I could easily have missed one). The terms will tell you who it applies to (current AMEX cardholders, any new Platinum approval, etc.).
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by momof4kids1dog1guineapig
Is there any reason that I wouldn't get the 50K bonus on this card since I just got a 50K bonus on the gold?
You should be OK. I got the Premier Gold 25k and the 50k Platinum close together.

The only time I didn't get an AMEX bonus is once when I forgot to clear cookies before doing the new application and I didn't notice that the application that I was sent to did not have the bonus on it even though I clicked on a bonus link.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by krusty1231
Well I had to call AMEX to verify my address, and they still hadn't received the fax I sent, and I inquired about my bonus, and 25k was stated. The rep stated that I could wait and spend and then inquire (been around long enough to know that was a poor decision) or just reapply. I got fed up with dealing with this and knew I would probably never get the 50k, so I just reapplied and was approved despite having the unverified address, with 50k bonus. Word of the wise, don't apply via a third-party link or site, and if you do, take screenshots of everything. If a link isn't active on AMEX, basically AMEX will say that they cant control what is on third-party sites and vice versa.
As well, the agents can't offer what websites offer. A conversation I had with an agent, should asked me to go to the link on the website, because she couldn't see the promo. If its' a web promo, then you will need to apply via web to get the promotion. My wife and I applied to get the Canadian American Express Gold Card Promo, 15,000 points, 1:1 conversion with Aeroplan, 1st annual fee is paid for and included on sign up.. A $150 value. Again the AMEX agent couldn't offer this to me, and you would have to go to www.americanexpress.ca to score on the offer.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Does anyone know if the $1,000 spend includes the $450 card fee? That is, does my statement balance have to equal $1,000 or $1,450?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Does anyone know if the $1,000 spend includes the $450 card fee? That is, does my statement balance have to equal $1,000 or $1,450?
Don't have it in front of me but usually there is wording that says "fees, interest, and penalties don't count."

I encountered this once on another card when I thought I had hit the spend because I was counting the annual fee on a card. I had to wait another month to get the bonus because they told me the annual fee did not count. I had to spend that much more before I met the requirements for the bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
I applied for the card in early February under ID: 4986 and reached the $1k spend on Feb 11.

Didn't see any points bonus appear on my account so I sent a secure email asking about the status of the offer. I stated I had a copy of the web site with the T&C.

Got a quick reply stating the offer would be honored and if the points don't appear by early-mid April, they would be added manually. Hooray for customer service!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.