Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:58 pm

Looks like all the links are back to the 25K offer now.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:56 pm

I applied for the 50K offer through a link on the FT Delta page (I'm an AMEX Gold Card holder who cleared cookies and got the offer to show up). I was approved for the Platinum Card and just received it but have yet to activate it.

I called the number on the back of the card, spoke with a CSR and asked if my account showed the 50K eligibility (after a $1000 spend in first three months). She asked for a promo code but I couldn't remember where I wrote it down...she then preceeded to say there's no way to see if someone's account is set-up to receive a particular offer.

Towards end of the conversation, I remembered where I wrote down the Bonus ID (4986) and told her the code. She checked and said the code is STILL a valid Bonus ID and to go ahead and spend the $1000 in 3 months and the points SHOULD show up in my MR account within 4-8 weeks.

Not sure how "confident" I feel with this...I'd like to "advance" 50k points right now to qualify for a Delta promo but don't want to get stuck having to charge $50k to not get penalized (if the promo points don't show up).

Sorry for the long post...just throwin' my situation out there
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
Hi Cypriote,

The link you provided will still launch the offer, however the offer has expired and no longer appears when you search directly on our web site for current offers.

If you have already applied, and would like me to review your account, please send me an email via our Secure Message Center and I will be happy to review your account.

Please log in to our Secure Message Center at:

americanexpress.com/messagecenter

If you are not registered to access your account online, simply click on the “continue” box located on the right to create a User ID and password.

After logging in, click on the box “Compose A Message” and select “Social Media Inquiry” for “Choose a Topic.” If you address your email to me – Beth/FlyerTalk – I will respond directly to you.

I look forward to hearing from you. It is my pleasure to assist.
When trying to compose a message, I followed the steps you listed above but cannot find a way to address the message to a particular individual. When I choose "Social Media Inquiry" in the subject drop-down, all I get is a FAQ box on the right and the statement "There are no FAQs for your query. Please try another search".

Any guidance would be appreciated because I would like a review if possible.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jimbohoward69
When trying to compose a message, I followed the steps you listed above but cannot find a way to address the message to a particular individual. When I choose "Social Media Inquiry" in the subject drop-down, all I get is a FAQ box on the right and the statement "There are no FAQs for your query. Please try another search".

Any guidance would be appreciated because I would like a review if possible.
Type "Dear Beth/FlyerTalk" at the beginning of your message...

ps. this offer is still showing on amex's home page and appears valid to me.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Amex Customer Care
Hi Cypriote,

The link you provided will still launch the offer, however the offer has expired and no longer appears when you search directly on our web site for current offers.
The offer does still come up when you search for offers on the Amex website. If I click on "learn about cards", the offer absolutely comes up!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Carolellen607
The offer does still come up when you search for offers on the Amex website. If I click on "learn about cards", the offer absolutely comes up!
Comes up for me as well.

Beth/Amex Customer Care - Have you tried this yourself?

1) Go to www.americanexpress.com
2) Select Cards -> View all Personal Cards
3) Select the Platinum Card

Offer displayed is still for 50k points.

As long as you need to talk to the web guys anyway to get this resolved, please ask them to put up a 100k promo just for us. Thanks! ^
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver / DividendMiles Silver
Um yeah its STILL on the site. I signed up for it just yesterday! If it turns out to be not a 50K bonus I'm cancelling on principle.

EDITED:
Both the card comparison page AND the actual application page still say 50K. I have a hard time believing AmEx would be this sloppy.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver / DividendMiles Silver
Towards end of the conversation, I remembered where I wrote down the Bonus ID (4986) and told her the code. She checked and said the code is STILL a valid Bonus ID and to go ahead and spend the $1000 in 3 months and the points SHOULD show up in my MR account within 4-8 weeks.
So they have the same 50k promo but change the "bonus code" to 4986 from whatever it was.... Tricky but I think I get it now. I think we are good since my bonus code was 4986 also and that is still the one listed on the site. Still it seems like if someone was applying for a given bonus that was expired and there was a new identical available bonus, they should honor it in good faith.

Anyway the Delta transfer bonus is good till the end of March (i think) so I'm gonna try to earn the 50K by spending 1K on the card the first month so I can be sure.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Comes up for me as well.

Beth/Amex Customer Care - Have you tried this yourself?

1) Go to www.americanexpress.com
2) Select Cards -> View all Personal Cards
3) Select the Platinum Card

Offer displayed is still for 50k points.

As long as you need to talk to the web guys anyway to get this resolved, please ask them to put up a 100k promo just for us. Thanks! ^
I just cleared my cookies again, followed steps above, clicked on "Apply Now" and it showed same 50k bonus page that I got with "Bonus ID [4986]"...however, the fine print now shows "Bonus ID [4880]".....either way (4986 or 4880), if this offer is still active, 50k points SHOULD fall into your account after the $1000 spend....I would HOPE
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Visa Signature
How often does Amex have these sort of promotions? I would like to jump on it, but I will wait for the next promotion to make it worth it.

Last edited by JMapleton; Jan 30, 2011 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:50 am

I just cleared my cookies again, followed steps above, clicked on "Apply Now" and it showed same 50k bonus page that I got with "Bonus ID [4986]"...however, the fine print now shows "Bonus ID [4880]".....either way (4986 or 4880), if this offer is still active, 50k points SHOULD fall into your account after the $1000 spend....I would HOPE
The offer that comes up for me when searching for card offers on the AMEX site directly, still shows bonus id 4986 in the fine print in paragraph one as it relates to the 50k points. And as it did before, Bonus id 4880 also shows in the fine print in paragraph 4 as it relates to MR pay with points. The identical offer!!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JMapleton
How often does Amex have these sort of promotions? I would like to jump on it, but I will wait for the next promotion to make it worth it.
They have the promotion right now so jump on it.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
I applied two days ago and 50k points was still posted, I just looked now and it's still 50k I'm going to be beyond pissed if it isn't
jeff
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:17 am

For existing Gold card members who did the application online, can you confirm if your account numbers for the new platinum card(s) changed?

I would llike to upgrade from my Gold card, but do not want to have a open a new Amex account to do so. I would like to keep the same account/card numbers.

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT
If you apply for a Platinum card online, it doesn't matter if you have a Gold card already: you will receive a new card with a new account number.
If you would like to upgrade your Gold to a Platinum, you need to do this over the phone (as far as I know) in order to keep your account number. You may or may not be able to benefit from the 50k MRP bonus: it applies to first time platinum members but doesn't mention if upgrades are eligible; the promotion may also be outdated. Just as an FYI you can only upgrade your Gold to a Platinum if you have had your Gold for more than a year.

And just as a follow up to the thread, I received an email from a CSR who replied on behalf of Beth in my secure message center. He said that if the promotion still appeared on the website I could go ahead and apply. I applied on Friday night and will let you know if I end up receiving the 50k MRP. I kept the email as proof.

Last edited by Cypriote; Jan 31, 2011 at 10:17 am Reason: Typo and Clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.