Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Clubs receiving food and beverage upgrades starting July 23, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Clubs receiving food and beverage upgrades starting July 23, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
At the end of the day, this is a glorified buffet. A buffet that you get unlimited access to for an annual rate, and it includes booze and other high operating costs. We shouldn't expect restaurant quality food. Even the airport restaurants can't usually offer restaurant quality food.
That's my point. It's better to just do soup and sandwiches than try to make entrees they don't know how to pull off. It's just embarrassing how bad it is - they don't know how to cook. Delta definitely does a much more consistent job with SkyClubs, the buffet items aren't terrible - they're just OK, but that's still way better than what the ACs are trying to do here.

Centurion Lounges are quite varied - some have excellent food, far better than the typical SkyClub, and some have nosedived (like SFO's club which has food that is more or less Admiral's Club-like).

In Phoenix the ACs were so bad I walked all the way down to the Centurion and the food there was amazing. One of the most elaborate spreads I've seen in any airport lounge. But, it's so small that the club gets packed at lunchtime - I managed to sneak in before the crowds blocked off entry to the space. It's funny how uneven Centurion lounges are - I am guessing they hire totally different contractors in each airport. AC's all seem to be run identically - identically badly.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by synzero; Oct 19, 2023 at 12:44 pm
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by synzero
That's my point. It's better to just do soup and sandwiches than try to make entrees they don't know how to pull off. It's just embarrassing how bad it is - they don't know how to cook. Delta definitely does a much more consistent job with SkyClubs, the buffet items aren't terrible - they're just OK, but that's still way better than what the ACs are trying to do here.

Centurion Lounges are quite varied - some have excellent food, far better than the typical SkyClub, and some have nosedived (like SFO's club which has food that is more or less Admiral's Club-like).

In Phoenix the ACs were so bad I walked all the way down to the Centurion and the food there was amazing. One of the most elaborate spreads I've seen in any airport lounge. But, it's so small that the club gets packed at lunchtime - I managed to sneak in before the crowds blocked off entry to the space. It's funny how uneven Centurion lounges are - I am guessing they hire totally different contractors in each airport. AC's all seem to be run identically - identically badly.
I know what everyone says about how good Delta's clubs are but they also have lines into them and now soon will be only allowed limited visits. I don't depend on a lounge for lunch whether it's a nice club like Delta or AA's ACs. If I want to to eat the airport I always buy something out in the concourse and set up shop in the club for a few hours.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Is it described as "chef inspired"?
Chef curated regionally inspired. I am sure.
lsquare and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:15 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
I know what everyone says about how good Delta's clubs are but they also have lines into them and now soon will be only allowed limited visits
I'd agree that DL's SkyClub food is better than what UA and AA are offering in their regular lounges, but I really don't agree with a lot of people who rave nonstop about the SkyClub food. Just looking at what I've had recently at JFK and LAX (and these are supposed to be some of the more flagship locations that have better catering), I'd say the breakfast is maybe a step below what I'd expect to find at a mediocre US Doubletree Hotel's buffet, and the lunch/dinner food is a definite step down from the better Centurion Lounge locations, and is food I probably wouldn't touch outside of an airport.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dw
I'd agree that DL's SkyClub food is better than what UA and AA are offering in their regular lounges, but I really don't agree with a lot of people who rave nonstop about the SkyClub food. Just looking at what I've had recently at JFK and LAX (and these are supposed to be some of the more flagship locations that have better catering), I'd say the breakfast is maybe a step below what I'd expect to find at a mediocre US Doubletree Hotel's buffet, and the lunch/dinner food is a definite step down from the better Centurion Lounge locations, and is food I probably wouldn't touch outside of an airport.
I'm perfectly fine with AA's options. Their soups are always tasty and I gorge on the now addicted to chocolate mini pretzels. The pork sliders at MIA a few months ago stood out as really good but the tiny skewers of tomato and mozz balls and mini crab cakes at DCA last week were pretty bad.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Any update on the Grab and Go - I have not seen any food to go? Only thing is bag of potato chips at DCA club.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Any update on the Grab and Go - I have not seen any food to go? Only thing is bag of potato chips at DCA club.
there's been some grab and go bags of popcorn at LAX
lsquare and donotblink like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Antarius
Artisanal.
patmcpsu and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by dw
I agree that SkyClub food is nothing to rave about, but after trying even the supposedly "upgraded" food at the ACs I have to say I have a newfound appreciation for competently executed cafeteria food The new LAX SkyClub is actually one of the least good in terms of food; SFO's is a step better, it is at least mediocre.

Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm perfectly fine with AA's options. Their soups are always tasty and I gorge on the now addicted to chocolate mini pretzels. The pork sliders at MIA a few months ago stood out as really good but the tiny skewers of tomato and mozz balls and mini crab cakes at DCA last week were pretty bad.
I think if I knew what to try and what to avoid I would be more OK with AC food. Basically: don't bother with any of the hot entrees. But the general tendency of dumping massive quantities of salt into everything, including sometimes the soups, is not great, to say the least. The consistency with which AC food is bad makes me wonder who oversees this, and whether they actually think this is how you SHOULD prepare food.
dw and lsquare like this.

Last edited by synzero; Oct 20, 2023 at 9:06 am
Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
That's my point. It's better to just do soup and sandwiches than try to make entrees they don't know how to pull off. It's just embarrassing how bad it is - they don't know how to cook. . . . .
Keeping it simple but tasty, and items that age well under the lights, is a good idea. (They don't know how to cook, but don't pretend to. Mostly comes frozen. It is a reheating festival. Sometimes I think they need better reheater training).

The early presumptions about sandwiches to go was just euphoria on our part. In both the re-imagined worlds of LAX and DCA it was limited to kettle chips (seem to have already changed brands, but good chips), Nature's Bakery power bars (at least gluten-free so more people could eat them), and fruit.

We all imagine things that are better in our minds than they turn out to be. The crab cakes really sound like they should work. But too little crab and too much breading, and don't last long on the warmers.

I'm starting a campaign to bring back build your own tacos. At least the ingredients lasted awhile.

I'm back to thinking my old reasons for keeping AAC access were better. (It's quieter. The bathrooms are better, assuming they are not full or being cleaned when you are trying to move fast and catch a flight. I really do wind down quicker after I land if I stop by for 45 minutes in the club. Perhaps the very last, it's "something" to eat without ordering and preparation delay, or trying to find leftovers at home).

I had high hopes and am officially disappointed. I must have been all liquored up when I though this was really going to improve food quality. At least a bit more variety between airports.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 20, 2023 at 9:23 am
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Exp
I went through the big C/D lounge at CLT last weekend and they only had grab-n-go options, including a wrap and two types of sandwiches that weren't labeled at all so it was a complete mystery as to what you were getting. Next to that in the 3-level silver trays (that used to hold various vegetables and pita chips) they had small individually wrapped snacks like beef jerky packets and string cheese. I'm not complaining as I appreciate having grab-n-go options, but it definitely felt like either the kitchen was down/being upgraded or some odd decisions about going 100% grab-n-go were hastily made.

For what it's worth, I tried the wrap and it ended up being a pretty decent club sandwich-like wrap. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures, but far from what I would consider a F&B "upgrade."
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by bscooter26
I went through the big C/D lounge at CLT last weekend and they only had grab-n-go options, including a wrap and two types of sandwiches that weren't labeled at all so it was a complete mystery as to what you were getting. Next to that in the 3-level silver trays (that used to hold various vegetables and pita chips) they had small individually wrapped snacks like beef jerky packets and string cheese. I'm not complaining as I appreciate having grab-n-go options, but it definitely felt like either the kitchen was down/being upgraded or some odd decisions about going 100% grab-n-go were hastily made.

For what it's worth, I tried the wrap and it ended up being a pretty decent club sandwich-like wrap. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures, but far from what I would consider a F&B "upgrade."
there's apparently a whole "thing" going on with the CLT kitchen for club located in C/D. I guess we should be thankful it's even open while they do whatever kitchen renovations they're doing. That's probably the reason for the limited choices you had. There are other posts about it either in this thread or the CLT C/D club threads if you browse for them.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
The consistency with which AC food is bad makes me wonder who oversees this, and whether they actually think this is how you SHOULD prepare food.
HMS Host operates the food and beverage service for the Admirals Clubs. https://www.hmshost.com/

They actually can do good food - I think the constraint is the budget from AA.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
HMS Host operates the food and beverage service for the Admirals Clubs. https://www.hmshost.com/

They actually can do good food - I think the constraint is the budget from AA.
But that's the thing - not dumping 5x more salt than you need into everything doesn't actually cost money. Maybe it requires spending money on chefs to oversee the kitchens.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
But that's the thing - not dumping 5x more salt than you need into everything doesn't actually cost money. Maybe it requires spending money on chefs to oversee the kitchens.
You'd need to upgrade your ingredients then. Salt and other such things are perfect for long shelf life and adding taste to whatever questionable ingredient is served masquerading as something else.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.