Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Clubs receiving food and beverage upgrades starting July 23, 2023

Admirals Clubs receiving food and beverage upgrades starting July 23, 2023

Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:39 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Antarius
You'd need to upgrade your ingredients then. Salt and other such things are perfect for long shelf life and adding taste to whatever questionable ingredient is served masquerading as something else.
By FAR the biggest cost when it comes to running a kitchen is the staff. It's not like you have to buy organic free range chicken lovingly raised by nuns to get half-decent results. With the exact same ingredients they're using a competent cook could easily produce an edible cafeteria-level dish.

The cost has to be in the staff. Though I think if they had a good chef overseeing standards in the system for the ACs they could pull off basically edible food, especially if they don't attempt to make "premium" dishes as they claim to be doing. I don't think Alaska is spending any more on food than the ACs are, but it's a much more palable set of soup and crackers and sandwiches and sometimes tacos or whatever.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by synzero
By FAR the biggest cost when it comes to running a kitchen is the staff. It's not like you have to buy organic free range chicken lovingly raised by nuns to get half-decent results. With the exact same ingredients they're using a competent cook could easily produce an edible cafeteria-level dish.

The cost has to be in the staff. Though I think if they had a good chef overseeing standards in the system for the ACs they could pull off basically edible food, especially if they don't attempt to make "premium" dishes as they claim to be doing. I don't think Alaska is spending any more on food than the ACs are, but it's a much more palable set of soup and crackers and sandwiches and sometimes tacos or whatever.
Isn't most of the food prepared (brought in) and they just heat it or serve it. There is no one making soup in the back room - they just heat it up. Omelets are the frozen microwave type. I would guess the evening chicken is brought in - wonder where they get the food from?
dw and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Isn't most of the food prepared (brought in) and they just heat it or serve it. There is no one making soup in the back room - they just heat it up. Omelets are the frozen microwave type. I would guess the evening chicken is brought in - wonder where they get the food from?
That's kind of irrelevant, because there is SOME kitchen SOMEWHERE making the food. Presumably run by the same company, since outsourcing it would actually be more expensive. Also, it's notable to me at least that every AC seems to have VERY similar food and food quality, implying there's some consistency to the preparations. If the poorly prepared food is happening in some external kitchen it's the same problem - they should stop trying to make things they don't know how to cook even to a school cafeteria level of quality.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That's kind of irrelevant, because there is SOME kitchen SOMEWHERE making the food. Presumably run by the same company, since outsourcing it would actually be more expensive. Also, it's notable to me at least that every AC seems to have VERY similar food and food quality, implying there's some consistency to the preparations. If the poorly prepared food is happening in some external kitchen it's the same problem - they should stop trying to make things they don't know how to cook even to a school cafeteria level of quality.
The chicken with string beans thing is most definitely a frozen chicken - it's equivalent to the awful, rubbery, pre-sliced cooked chicken you can buy in sealed containers at the grocery store. There is nothing you can do to that to make it good - the ingredients are absurdly low quality.

That said, they did have a lemon chicken at LAX T5 recently that was much better. It wasn't reheated and was closer to something I'd expect at the CL. Hopefully that wasn't just a one off.
dw and synzero like this.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
And this costs money.

It's the same reason that applebee's food is consistent and rubbish. Cheap, frozen junk that's reheated
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 8:32 pm

Arrived in T5 today. (Now that Delta has crazily walked back their changes to SkyMiles so far that it's now actually WAY EASIER to get status than it was before, which I actually am not super happy about, but at least they've made it possible for me to access SkyClubs again, so I am conflicted -- but still continuing with the AA flights I've already booked, we'll see if I stick with this)...

LAX Admiral's Club food is actually edible for once. Main difference is it is not overwhelmingly overly salty. I am not sure why - perhaps because they were ADDING salt to everything when they reheated whatever? And now they're not doing this anymore? Who knows, but I was able to eat it. It wasn't great but the chicken and string beans, etc., weren't terrible. Not exactly good, but I went back for seconds, so ... edible. Soup was decent also. It does make a huge difference for the food to be edible. SFO's food: still not edible.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Turkey sausage is a disgrace. But the egg things look potentially okay.
Better than nothing for those of us who do not consume pork.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Not necessarily. Many people don't eat pork who do eat poultry.
Exactly. Trying to find a breakfast not loaded with pork is hard. Turkey sausage never looks that appealing. I've learned to make my own beef bacon since giving up pork and it's yummy. I don't think they would let me bring it with me though.
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 1, 2023 at 11:59 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
I recently had good experiences in the DCA lounges, and the usual awesome experience at LGA. The house scotch and "mimosa" have become the standard for the wife and I, so they are much appreciated additions to the roster.

Interestingly, the E lounge at DCA wasn't particularly crowded on a Friday afternoon... while the C lounge was packed to the gills. Now that the newness has worn off, are people not willing to make the trek down to E from mainline flights?
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Finally checked out the new offerings at LAX (T4) and was extremely underwhelmed. The two hot dishes- the chicken and artichoke dish and the cauliflower rice booked looked inedible / incredibly unappetizing, so I didnt try them. And whats with putting out a charcuterie plate but no cheese to pair with it? Even the old cheese cubes would have been fine. (Understand theres the caprese bites but that doesnt really cut it.)

Sadly even after the upgrades, I think the Admirals Clubs are still lagging DL, AS and UAs lounges when it comes to F&B.

The one plus was that I was there during an off peak time so the lounge was relatively empty and peaceful.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:57 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
AC was fine Sunday night in D at CLT. Now that Im using the ACs more the upgraded lounges are more noticeable and worth the membership increase IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
I recently had good experiences in the DCA lounges, and the usual awesome experience at LGA. The house scotch and "mimosa" have become the standard for the wife and I, so they are much appreciated additions to the roster.

Interestingly, the E lounge at DCA wasn't particularly crowded on a Friday afternoon... while the C lounge was packed to the gills. Now that the newness has worn off, are people not willing to make the trek down to E from mainline flights?
Dunno about others but I'll always make the trek even when not departing from the E-gates (unless I don't have the time of course). The C and D clubs are ok but I really like the E club especially now that the fireplace is back on. Happy with the new food still tho a little additional variety would be appreciated.
LovePrunes and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I'm a delta refugee, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the Made to Order Guacamole at the LGA Admirals club
donotblink and robertablake like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I'm a delta refugee, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the Made to Order Guacamole at the LGA Admirals club
That's available at almost all ACs in the afternoons, they have avacado toast in the mornings.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I'm also a Delta refugee and I was at the LGA AC this past Saturday morning and was very pleasantly surprised by the availability of avocado toast.

That's a very nice AC. I'm based at RDU and that AC decor is a bit dated (think 1990s...) but the folks are very friendly. No avocado toast or guacamole though.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by donotblink
That's available at almost all ACs in the afternoons, they have avacado toast in the mornings.
It's been years since I was in an Admirals Club (I was given EXP status for being a Globalist in 2020 and had some international travel before covid came in)... and I haven't kept up on any AA news until the Delta September changes... so I had no idea about the guacamole or avocado toast at all.. and considering I love those two items (but only fresh guac... not the premade stuff).. it was a very pleasant surprise and is making me confident in the transition off Delta (although I will re-earn PM in 2024 with Delta due to rollover)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.