Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Clubs receiving food and beverage upgrades starting July 23, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Being discussed a little in the Citi Exec thread, but felt it deserved its own thread for those who get access in other ways
In the Exec card refresh news release, AA mentions that they are upgrading food and beverage in the lounge (emphasis mine):

Taking Admirals Club lounges to the next level

American is elevating the lounge experience with even more ways for customers to relax and feel their best at Admirals Club lounges across the United States. In the coming months, customers can look forward to enhanced food offerings, expanded complimentary drink menus and newly redesigned Admirals Club locations.

Beginning in select cites on July 23, customers will find a heartier variety of complimentary premium food with new hot and cold breakfast and all-day menus featuring regionally inspired selections such as Cuban pork sliders in Miami and mini crab cakes in Washington, D.C. Select lounges will also offer convenient grab-and-go snacks for those short on time. The enhanced food offerings are expected to roll out at all domestic Admirals Club lounges by early 2024.

Starting this month, all domestic lounges will feature complimentary sparkling wine, craft beer that celebrates local favorites, and spirits like scotch and tequila. Customers can also enjoy complimentary cocktails like mimosas, Bloody Marys and signature cocktails created with local flavors.

In the coming months, American will open new, redesigned lounges at Denver International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. As part of its continued investment in the customer experience, American is updating the rates for Admirals Club annual memberships and One Day Passes. Beginning July 23, new Admirals Club annual memberships will be $850 or 85,000 miles, and a One Day Pass will be $79 or 7,900 miles. For more information about Citi/AAdvantage credit cards, visit citicards.com.
Sounds like they are realizing they are behind their competition quite a bit (at least for the drinks, even The Club PP lounges offer these new options already) and hopefully this brings them up to par.

Pricing is going up as well - $79 for a day pass and $850 for an annual pass. Exec card has a higher fee now, but those details are in the Exec thread, along with the new additional benefits
Old Jul 10, 2023, 2:32 pm

Good. It's always felt like such penny pinching nonsense that a Bud Light that costs them $1 is free for me but a craft beer that costs them $1.50 costs me $9 (or whatever...I refuse to actually buy one).
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Finally an option for a sparkling wine at no cost.
dw, lowfareair, TravisMT81 and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Dayum. I have lounge access via the Executive card, just obtained in March, so that was well-timed. I passed through ORD with my granddaughters, ages 6 and 9, in April and will be back in September. They loved the Admiral's Club (if you're gonna spoil them, go big or go home) but were perfectly happy with marshmallow krispy treats in the dessert section. Sadly, our flights are typically mid-day; not a good time for Grandma to indulge in the upgraded adult beverage offerings.
AAway and ValleyEarl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Pricing is going up as well - $79 for a day pass and $850 for an annual pass. Exec card has a higher fee now, but those details are in the Exec thread, along with the new additional benefits
LOL. Nope. Wasn't worth it it at the prior pricing. Adding a few more food options doesn't change that.

(and I'm DEN based so soon-ish will have one of the shiny new-model clubs).
Old Jul 10, 2023, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
LOL. Nope. Wasn't worth it it at the prior pricing. Adding a few more food options doesn't change that.

(and I'm DEN based so soon-ish will have one of the shiny new-model clubs).
I think the pricing is there more as an anchor to help convince people to get the credit card. "Every time I go in with my wife and kid, I save $237!"
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Although, I don't drink it the lack of sparkling wine always felt like a big miss. I feel like every time I am in a club I see multiple people try to order it. Some just pay, but others seem put off by the lack of a house bubbles option.

The bubbly seems to always be a hit in United Clubs. Can't say I've had much recent experience in SkyClubs since standing in line just to get in the door has 0 appeal to me.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:18 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Although, I don't drink it the lack of sparkling wine always felt like a big miss. I feel like every time I am in a club I see multiple people try to order it. Some just pay, but others seem put off by the lack of a house bubbles option.

The bubbly seems to always be a hit in United Clubs. Can't say I've had much recent experience in SkyClubs since standing in line just to get in the door has 0 appeal to me.
Free at the Sky Clubs. I really don't see AA actually following through on the upgraded food in a way that competes with Delta or the Centurion Club. Historically they are just too cheap.
ohmark, jayer, jmj9905 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

In the US people seem to like ordering it at clubs I've been in, and honestly AA is very behind the times here by not offering complimentary bubbles. UA & DL both have it as well as Amex/Cap1/Chase lounges and many Priority Pass lounges.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
In the US people seem to like ordering it at clubs I've been in, and honestly AA is very behind the times here by not offering complimentary bubbles. UA & DL both have it as well as Amex/Cap1/Chase lounges and many Priority Pass lounges.
Not to mention Alaska, which AC members have access to
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah, I can't imagine keeping some cava or some kind of cheap California sparkling wine really costs more then a house white, but it would still seem to "elevate" the experience. Obviously, I am am under aspersions that AA will offer a true Champagne.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Only AA would take months to roll out simple F&B changes at a few locations.
Spiff, PlatinumScum and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by abk
Free at the Sky Clubs. I really don't see AA actually following through on the upgraded food in a way that competes with Delta or the Centurion Club. Historically they are just too cheap.
A lot of folks have annual fees that aren't due until the fall or even next year. You would think they'd be motivated to actually follow through with the improvements.

While I likely won't cancel since I live at an AA hub and fly to a lot of airports with ACs, I'm sure there are a lot of more borderline cases.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:01 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Does the cost for the annual pass vary by status? My email said $750 and I am just a Platinum.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
Does the cost for the annual pass vary by status? My email said $750 and I am just a Platinum.
Yes. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...p#updatedrates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.