Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EP
skd changes for AA and BA don’t happen on the same day. Perfectly “normal”. Lots of skd changes! And generally, it will say on request for partners until ticketed

Originally Posted by nas6034
I called in and booked an award ticket yesterday with partner RJ. The ticket is still "on request." Today I called in to update another award ticket that lost a segment due to AA flight cancellation. The new flight is short leg on BA and overwater on AA. That ticket the ticketing desk had to open up J space. Even that ticket is still "on request." Anyone have any idea why that would happen. If it was for one ticket, I get it. But it's an issue for two award tickets within the last 2 days.

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Oct 10, 2021 at 2:22 am
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
skd changes for Aaa and BA don’t happen on the same day. Perfectly “normal”. Lots of skd changes! And generally, it will say on request for partners until ticketed
Yes, but how long should tickets be "on request" The reservations have been on request for a couple of days. It shouldn't take that long to ticket. If this was a cash fare you think it would take 3+ days to issue a ticket number? This is not one but two tickets with two separate carriers (one is strictly RJ, other is BA connecting to AA).
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:24 am

My history is that they ticket within hours, although others have reported it taking days. U might want to call or tweet AA and ask if there is any issues with the reservation or ticketing process.

Originally Posted by nas6034
Yes, but how long should tickets be "on request" The reservations have been on request for a couple of days. It shouldn't take that long to ticket. If this was a cash fare you think it would take 3+ days to issue a ticket number? This is not one but two tickets with two separate carriers (one is strictly RJ, other is BA connecting to AA).
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:50 am

I'll likely be flying from LA to London in J sometime over the next few months -- obviously things are still subject to change, but is anyone able to compare the current service standards between AA and BA? (It has to be Oneworld so VS/UA are out of the picture).
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Not at all an AA newbie, but can’t find an answer anywhere. When did EXP start getting three checked bags up to 70 pounds (instead of 50) regardless of cabin? Pre-Covid, I know I sweated upgrades clearing a few times when I knew my bag was over 50, so it seems like I missed an announcement sometime in the past 20 months. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I'm new to AA and in the process of making my way to Emerald through BA.
As I couldn't find anything regarding this (maybe I'm just very bad at searching), I thought I'd ask here.
Other than the risk of missing connections, are there any major issues with booking a direct turnaround (on separate tickets)?
The conditions of carriage don't seem to explicitly cover that case, at least based on my reading.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:23 am

Maybe 10 or 15 years ago?

Originally Posted by js1993
Not at all an AA newbie, but can’t find an answer anywhere. When did EXP start getting three checked bags up to 70 pounds (instead of 50) regardless of cabin? Pre-Covid, I know I sweated upgrades clearing a few times when I knew my bag was over 50, so it seems like I missed an announcement sometime in the past 20 months. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
As I couldn't find anything regarding this (maybe I'm just very bad at searching), I thought I'd ask here.
Other than the risk of missing connections, are there any major issues with booking a direct turnaround (on separate tickets)?
The conditions of carriage don't seem to explicitly cover that case, at least based on my reading.
No issues whatsoever. If you want to fly somewhere and turn right back around and fly back, AA will be happy to take your money
Chiller3333 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago?
Are you sure? I could have sworn the 50 pounds vs. 70 pounds was entirely based on cabin as recently as early 2020.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think I read about the 3 bags (at 70 lbs) on here a few years ago.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:53 am

I just checked my 2019 and 2020 AA email receipts for Y bookings and every one of them, through June 2020, says “1st bag: Free, 2nd bag: Free, Maximum weight: 50 pounds.” There’s a footnote that says “additional allowances might apply,” but it seems weird that it wouldn’t have specifically said “70 pounds” as the allowance if that was the standard EXP allowance. (I was EXP at the time of all 2019 and 2020 bookings.) Maybe some other EXP can check some post-June 2020 Y bookings and see what their receipts say. Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:19 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I just checked my 2019 and 2020 AA email receipts for Y bookings and every one of them, through June 2020, says “1st bag: Free, 2nd bag: Free, Maximum weight: 50 pounds.” There’s a footnote that says “additional allowances might apply,” but it seems weird that it wouldn’t have specifically said “70 pounds” as the allowance if that was the standard EXP allowance. (I was EXP at the time of all 2019 and 2020 bookings.) Maybe some other EXP can check some post-June 2020 Y bookings and see what their receipts say. Thanks.
My most recent booking email still says 50LB limit.
js1993 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by S80
My most recent booking email still says 50LB limit.
Thanks. Looks like sloppy information being provided by AA. Shocker.
GrumpyYoungMan and S80 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:29 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I believe the term you want to look for is 'self-connecting', but it looks like it's more frequently used with connecting between different airlines to snag a cheaper fare.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No issues whatsoever. If you want to fly somewhere and turn right back around and fly back, AA will be happy to take your money
Typically same day-round trips price out at the same price as two one ways (given same origin/destination), but can actually price out cheaper (aka a roundtrip AAA-BBB-ZZZ-CCC-AAA bought separately would price as two one ways (AAA-ZZZ and ZZZ-AAA), but may be cheaper when a one way AAA-CCC via ZZZ and then the nonstop return). I've done both (two one ways, and a same day round trip), but haven't experienced any delays on the outbound that have caused me to misconnect, so I unfortunately can't speak from experience. I have gotten a few comments about the same day return from agents when rebooking the return due to misconnections there, but that's because they fly for free and don't have to worry about the milage run game. As JJeffrey said, AA will happily take your money, however you decide to book.
SPN Lifer and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
And I'm happy to pay for it:P

Originally Posted by S80
I believe the term you want to look for is 'self-connecting', but it looks like it's more frequently used with connecting between different airlines to snag a cheaper fare.
Ah, that makes sense. That definitely was outside my dictionary till now.

Thanks so much to the two of you!
S80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.