Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Arrow [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Hi, first post, been lurking for awhile...I recently flew TYS-DFW-SFO, and the miles for the DFW-SFO leg are missing. I've called the Platinum desk a few times and both agents (one was rude as hell, BTW) say that I'm not on the flight manifest. I definitely got to SFO, and I had zero delays / hiccups on the way out. (return was a much different story, I went thru DFW during the Oct 22/23 meltdown, Geez).

The only hard documentation is have is my baggage tag. No ticket (who the hell keeps tickets anyway).

Anyone had cases where they were mysteriously missing from the manifest? Agents act like there's NO way the manifest is incorrect. This was the day after the US AA merger (Oct 18). Feels like an episode of lost.

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Hi, first post, been lurking for awhile...I recently flew TYS-DFW-SFO, and the miles for the DFW-SFO leg are missing. I've called the Platinum desk a few times and both agents (one was rude as hell, BTW) say that I'm not on the flight manifest. I definitely got to SFO, and I had zero delays / hiccups on the way out. (return was a much different story, I went thru DFW during the Oct 22/23 meltdown, Geez).

The only hard documentation is have is my baggage tag. No ticket (who the hell keeps tickets anyway).

Anyone had cases where they were mysteriously missing from the manifest? Agents act like there's NO way the manifest is incorrect. This was the day after the US AA merger (Oct 18). Feels like an episode of lost.

Thanks.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Did AA not send you an e-ticket? Did you not have a boarding pass? Check for those. The Platinum line (it's all the same people, other than EP, with prioritized answering) might have been better able to serve with the ticket number; if you retrieve it, try calling again.

Most of us keep the first and retain the second until the miles show up in our accounts. (If all you have is your PNR, that may not help so much as they get retired and reused.)

We'll eventually move this to the "Newbie Lounge" thread.

/Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi, thanks. Yes I have an eTicket. They find my ticket, but are asserting that I flew from to DFW to SFO on a unicorn (not the flight on my ticket).

I do not have the boarding pass, deleted from my wallet. Good advice to keep until the miles post.

What's REALLY annoying is the lost miles will keep me from qualifying for EXP when I travel next week.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Can you not challenge them to look and see who was in the seat you were in? Also, if they insist you didn't fly, insist that you get a credit for the unused portion of your ticket..

I keep my BP's until the miles post - but that is only when I happen to have paper BPs. What happens for those that use the AA app and have no copy of them in these situations?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I keep my BP's until the miles post - but that is only when I happen to have paper BPs. What happens for those that use the AA app and have no copy of them in these situations?
Since starting to use mobile, I take a screenshot every time for just this reason. I also make a habit of emailing myself a boarding pass if I check in online.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by aschuett
Since starting to use mobile, I take a screenshot every time for just this reason.
This.

And a picture of where I parked in the airport garage....
Old Oct 31, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
They find my ticket, but are asserting that I flew from to DFW to SFO on a unicorn
ROTFL

Do you get a PDB if flying on a unicorn?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
ROTFL

Do you get a PDB if flying on a unicorn?
Actually unicorns normally provide a PDH (pre-departure hookah).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Realized this is a good use of the iPhone app :

If you turn on the widget, then you can pull down from top and see the active boarding passes only. Then the old BPs ,which are being stored until miles post, don't get in your way (which bothers me when going to straight to iWallet, and is why I had deleted the now-missing boarding pass).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by aschuett
Since starting to use mobile, I take a screenshot every time for just this reason. I also make a habit of emailing myself a boarding pass if I check in online.
I don't get the need for showing a BP for mileage credit. All it shows is that you checked-in but not that you actually were on the flight. It's of no greater value than the e-ticket.

I'm still waiting 2 months later for my SEA-LAX AS flight to post after doing a gate upgrade and not having the original BP.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:13 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Arrow [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Welcome to our 2016 Newbie Lounge thread!

Please see the wiki above for more information. Thanks!

/AA Mod Team

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 1, 2016 at 11:23 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SW Companion Pass, Hilton Gold
My fiancé got the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card back in November and met the spending requirement in December. Her statement closing date was 12/22/15 and the online Citi statement shows that she is owed 54,000 miles to her AA account. Yet, as of 12/30/15, still no miles. After her statement closed during the previous month, on 11/22/15, the earned miles (just 151 miles), posted correctly on 11/23/15.

Why is it taking so long during this second month with the large bonus miles? Is anyone else seeing a delay in their credit card-earned miles posting?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Arrow [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Question about the AA miles sale (this is the 150k+115k bonus miles for $4425). Basically I want to buy the miles twice by taking advantage of the calendar year ending, but I'm not sure if they have a rule against this I might not be aware of.

The rules seem to say "Each AAdvantage member is limited to purchasing or receiving in a calendar year, a combined total of no more than 150,000 AAdvantage miles." (from googling elsewhere, it appears the 115k bonus doesn't count in this limit).

Has anyone tried taking advantage of this, ie: buy 150k miles on the 31st of Dec, buy another 150k on the 1st of Jan.

(while I know FT'ers don't normally think buying miles is a good idea, for 3 business class seats R/T BOI to BKK in Oct/Nov 2016, it appears that the cost of purchasing miles and then booking award travel on an AA partner is way less than 3x business class 'real money' tickets. )

So, my questions are:
1) Any reason I can't buy miles 'twice' (once this calendar year, once next calendar year)
2) Can I in fact put award tickets 'on hold' for 3 days even if I don't yet have enough miles to fund the trip I'm holding? (would like to hold the tickets before I buy the miles if possible)
3) Can I generally trust the award ticket availability info on the carriers websites (I read online to use BA's website to check award availability, as AA's website doesn't seem to work for checking most carriers award availability).
4) Am I right in understanding that 3 first class award tickets in the same flight never go on offer, and I should limit myself to business class? (additional note: we'll also have a lap child, so we'll be paying 10% of the first class fare I guess for the lap child.. which sounds expensive vs 10% of the business class fare, so this isn't a huge deal, although the miles difference is so tiny it feels like I'm throwing value away if I only book business class)

W.

Last edited by williamdw; Dec 30, 2015 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by williamdw
Question about the AA miles sale (this is the 150k+115k bonus miles for $4425). Basically I want to buy the miles twice by taking advantage of the calendar year ending, but I'm not sure if they have a rule against this I might not be aware of.

The rules seem to say "Each AAdvantage member is limited to purchasing or receiving in a calendar year, a combined total of no more than 150,000 AAdvantage miles." (from googling elsewhere, it appears the 115k bonus doesn't count in this limit).

Has anyone tried taking advantage of this, ie: buy 150k miles on the 31st of Dec, buy another 150k on the 1st of Jan.

(while I know FT'ers don't normally think buying miles is a good idea, for 3 business class seats R/T BOI to BKK in Oct/Nov 2016, it appears that the cost of purchasing miles and then booking award travel on an AA partner is way less than 3x business class 'real money' tickets. )

So, my questions are:
1) Any reason I can't buy miles 'twice' (once this calendar year, once next calendar year)
2) Can I in fact put award tickets 'on hold' for 3 days even if I don't yet have enough miles to fund the trip I'm holding? (would like to hold the tickets before I buy the miles if possible)
3) Can I generally trust the award ticket availability info on the carriers websites (I read online to use BA's website to check award availability, as AA's website doesn't seem to work for checking most carriers award availability).
4) Am I right in understanding that 3 first class award tickets in the same flight never go on offer, and I should limit myself to business class? (additional note: we'll also have a lap child, so we'll be paying 10% of the first class fare I guess for the lap child.. which sounds expensive vs 10% of the business class fare, so this isn't a huge deal, although the miles difference is so tiny it feels like I'm throwing value away if I only book business class)

W.
1. Surely this question is better addressed directly with AA. Ordinarily, I'd say no problem, but here you are trying to use the exact same bonus offer in two consecutive calendar years. But why can't one of your traveling companions purchase miles as well? Not an AAdvantage member?

2. Yes.

3. Websites occasionally display "phantom" availability. Since you have to call AA anyway to book CX/JL award travel, just call AA now to see if the seats you want are available. Put them on hold if they are.

4. Probably correct, but might not be universal.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:44 am

I just made AA gold and also have the Citi Executive Platinum card. Both say they give one free checked bag. This should mean that I will be able to check two bags free of charge on my flight right? Or is it some weird wording where they both only offer the first checked bag for free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.