Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2016 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)[/LIST]
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 24, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
JJeffrey - many thanks! The $39 one-way seems perfect.

Can I use the new voucher for anyone? Or can it only be used for my travel?

Last edited by raj_cl; May 24, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Add question
Old May 24, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
All tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issue, so they were correct in that you cannot keep extending the date out of the same ticket past 1 year.

But you can definitely change to a cheap flight before it expires and get the remainder in another voucher, which will be good for another year.

Right now there are a number of dates in June where MIA-TPA is $39 one way. Switch your current flight to that and AA will issue you a new voucher for $161 good for another year.
Is that true? Wow, I learned something today. Thanks. Under the old US program, you would lose any unused value. Thanks JJeffrey for this!
Old May 24, 2016, 11:15 am
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Was this a typo above? If so, and if what ya meant was: ORD-ICN, ICN-HKG, no, can't remove ORD-ICN w/o starting over again.
That is not a typo. My ICN-CDG flight is on another airline (not on this record, or even One World).
Old May 24, 2016, 11:17 am
vishnu88

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You can change the date of your ORD-NRT-ICN flights without paying a fee and without affecting the other segments in your itinerary. You can push out those flights up to a year from the date you originally ticketed the award.

Canceling the ORD-ICN in theory should be possible since it appears to be a separate award, but since all of your awards are in one record, it may cause some issues. I think a date change is a safer bet if you plan on using it at a later date.
Interesting. I might do that. If I were to delay the ORD-ICN flights to a year later, can I then redeposit those miles at that point (since I would have travelled on my CDG-HKG and HKG-LAX flights by then already)?
Old May 24, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Aviator88
Interesting. I might do that. If I were to delay the ORD-ICN flights to a year later, can I then redeposit those miles at that point (since I would have travelled on my CDG-HKG and HKG-LAX flights by then already)?
Not for free (unless you're EXP), but pushing it out into the future you increase the likelihood of having a significant schedule change which could trigger a fee-free cancellation/redeposit.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I redeemed miles for a flight and wanted to know what exactly the fees are for. Is there a way to get a breakdown of the fees? (using the receipt method I confirmed the amount, but not a breakdown)
Old May 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, La Quinta Gold
Question

Let me start by saying my goal is to upgrade my long-haul flights from and to Europe (in that order of priority). By upgrade, I would love Business Class(Club World) but would also be glad with MCE(WTP).

Now, here's the situation.
Flights were booked during the sale a few weeks ago, all on AA.com.
DFW-EWR-LHR
1st leg on AA, 2nd on BA
Return
PRG-LHR-MIA-DFW
1st 3 legs on BA, final leg on AA

I was hoping to upgrade using AA miles. Upon some research here, I saw on the AA award page that I could upgrade to World Traveler Plus for 12.5K AA miles. Another page stated that since I had Booking Code O, they were not eligible for upgrade. So, I called AA and they said that I could be upgraded, but there are no seats available. Even though the flight is virtually empty, there are apparently no award/upgrade seats available in WTP. There are plenty in Economy and Club World for all flights. AA suggested I call BA to find out if upgrade/award seats would be made available. Calling BA just led to more confusion.
Not that it's important, the only segment that is not Booking Code O is the PRG-LHR flight, which is Code S.
Other item of note, I've checked on the AA site several times since booking and have not seen any WTP seats for either the full flights (DFW-LHR for example), nor the individual segments (EWR-LHR).

My questions:
Is it possible to upgrade to Club World or WTP for either or both transatlantic flights using AA miles? If so, is it 12.5K per person or 25K?
Is it possible that BA will open up some WTP award/upgrade seats for use with AA miles?
Is it possible to do a 2 class upgrade from economy to Club World using miles?
The language on this page is not yet clear to me given my novice travel habits.
Finally, where did I go wrong? How could I have booked or planned this better? I'm still learning when it comes to frequent travel and I appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
You can upgrade BA flights with AA miles to the next class of service. Economy can be upgraded to WTP, and WTP to Club World.

See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old May 24, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That is not a typo. My ICN-CDG flight is on another airline (not on this record, or even One World).
Regardless, changing the origin or destination (which you're effectively doing by removing the ORD-ICN leg) requires a redeposit and ticket reissue.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PGAdam
Let me start by saying my goal is to upgrade my long-haul flights from and to Europe (in that order of priority). By upgrade, I would love Business Class(Club World) but would also be glad with MCE(WTP).

Now, here's the situation.
Flights were booked during the sale a few weeks ago, all on AA.com.
DFW-EWR-LHR
1st leg on AA, 2nd on BA
Return
PRG-LHR-MIA-DFW
1st 3 legs on BA, final leg on AA

I was hoping to upgrade using AA miles. Upon some research here, I saw on the AA award page that I could upgrade to World Traveler Plus for 12.5K AA miles. Another page stated that since I had Booking Code O, they were not eligible for upgrade. So, I called AA and they said that I could be upgraded, but there are no seats available. Even though the flight is virtually empty, there are apparently no award/upgrade seats available in WTP. There are plenty in Economy and Club World for all flights. AA suggested I call BA to find out if upgrade/award seats would be made available. Calling BA just led to more confusion.
Not that it's important, the only segment that is not Booking Code O is the PRG-LHR flight, which is Code S.
Other item of note, I've checked on the AA site several times since booking and have not seen any WTP seats for either the full flights (DFW-LHR for example), nor the individual segments (EWR-LHR).

My questions:
Is it possible to upgrade to Club World or WTP for either or both transatlantic flights using AA miles? If so, is it 12.5K per person or 25K?
Is it possible that BA will open up some WTP award/upgrade seats for use with AA miles?
Is it possible to do a 2 class upgrade from economy to Club World using miles?
The language on this page is not yet clear to me given my novice travel habits.
Finally, where did I go wrong? How could I have booked or planned this better? I'm still learning when it comes to frequent travel and I appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
WTP is an entirely separate class of service (not like AA MCE, a part of Economy but with extended seat pitch). You can use AA miles to upgrade from WT to WTP, or from WTP to CW, but you can not upgrade two classes of service.

Please see the thread you've been referred to, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html, as there are substantive restrictions. (E.g. You must have purchased a full fare to upgrade using AAdvantage miles). Please be sure to read the wikipost.

You can inquire about counter ($$) upgrades when at the airport, as well.

Book it better? Discounted WTP or CW seats bought from BA would probably cost you considerably less than full fare offerings on aa.com. And BA occasionally has great sales.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:49 pm
vishnu88

Thanks. I was expecting to pay a fee. That's not the issue.

There doesn't seem to be any availability in F for any dates on the ORD-ICN route. But there seems to be Y (saver) availability on aa.com. Can I downgrade and not have to redeposit the entire itinerary?
Old May 24, 2016, 3:22 pm

There doesn't seem to be any availability in F for any dates on the ORD-ICN route. But there seems to be Y (saver) availability on aa.com. Can I downgrade and not have to redeposit the entire itinerary?
You can "upgrade" to a higher class or higher award and the redeposit fee will be waived. You can not do the reverse without paying it.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-changes.html (particularly the wikipost at the top of the page) for more in depth on award changes.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
My wife has an AA account that was just used to earn AA credit card miles / bonuses. For work, I will be traveling heavily internationally and would like to use her account to earn miles as I do not have an account.

I was able to change the name on her account to mine (same last name) and the system accepted it. Am I setting myself up for an issue down the road with AA?
Old May 24, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyfaraway
I flew early yesterday morning to get the last miles I needed for gold. When they post it will retroactively give me gold, correct? I want to grab some preferred seats for my return on 1/4 and another set of flights in January.
Uh, "When they post it will retroactively give me gold.. " I'm not sure of your question here. You will get Gold when it posts, but previously made future bookings may have to be updated manually (call).

If you're inquiring if AA will apply bonuses for your status to the flight upon which you passed the threshold, AA will not.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mayday23
My wife has an AA account that was just used to earn AA credit card miles / bonuses. For work, I will be traveling heavily internationally and would like to use her account to earn miles as I do not have an account.

I was able to change the name on her account to mine (same last name) and the system accepted it. Am I setting myself up for an issue down the road with AA?
Yes, do not do that.

Did you clarify as to how all this is ticketed? All one ticket/one PNR?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.