Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:46 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Quick 500-mile upgrade question.

If i put me and my wife (non-status) on the list, is it an all-or-nothing clear? or if there is one seat left, and they release it with us next on the list, will they clear just me or skip both of us?
And if that is the case, how weird are the FAs if I decide to let wifey sit in the front?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by heelntoe
If i put me and my wife (non-status) on the list, is it an all-or-nothing clear? or if there is one seat left, and they release it with us next on the list, will they clear just me or skip both of us?
And if that is the case, how weird are the FAs if I decide to let wifey sit in the front?
It can go both ways depending on how you want it set up.

Assuming you're on the same reservation and request upgrades for you both, then the default is an all or nothing clear. So if only 1 seat is released the system will skip you and your wife and go to the next single on the list. If this happens when the flight is under gate control, some gate agents will often page you up and ask if you want to be split up or not.

You can call AA beforehand and have the request set up such that you wouldn't get skipped over for a single seat, but this typically involves splitting the PNR.

And it's generally never a problem to let the wife sit up front if only one upgrade clears, just mention it to the FA when you get onboard.
js1993 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:22 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Assuming you're on the same reservation and request upgrades for you both, then the default is an all or nothing clear. So if only 1 seat is released the system will skip you and your wife and go to the next single on the list. If this happens when the flight is under gate control, some gate agents will often page you up and ask if you want to be split up or not.

You can call AA beforehand and have the request set up such that you wouldn't get skipped over for a single seat, but this typically involves splitting the PNR.

And it's generally never a problem to let the wife sit up front if only one upgrade clears, just mention it to the FA when you get onboard.
As always, great info.
Thank you.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by heelntoe
Quick 500-mile upgrade question.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

Pretty sure if you split the PNR - the only way I believe you can clear separately short of the GA asking you if you want to be split because only one seat is left - your +1 will upgrade based on their status only.

(You switching seats with your wife for the whole flight is not weird - people do it all the time.)
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
No. You don’t have to split the PNR, the system/agent will do that upon clearing just the one PAX. If it’s the outbound, yes, the return will leave travelers in separate PNRs but upgrades can be re requested across PNRs and continue to use the elite’s status for both.

the one issue would be if there is a CC involved giving a free bag. The free bag would only apply to the original PNR.

Originally Posted by Global321
Pretty sure if you split the PNR - the only way I believe you can clear separately short of the GA asking you if you want to be split because only one seat is left - your +1 will upgrade based on their status only.

(You switching seats with your wife for the whole flight is not weird - people do it all the time.)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:10 pm

AA from Seattle to Chicago in November schedule

Hi there, I’m planning a trip to Chicago from Seattle mid November. I see flights at 5:45 am the. 9:30 or 10:00 am then 3 more flights. Those flights are scheduled until November 1st then only two flights after that. I would expect that they increase frequency not decrease it especially around thanksgiving. Do you think they will open those flights up and when?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I believe the schedule is set until at least mid-December. I wouldn't expect more flights to be added before you travel.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm in paid I going CMH-CLT-SJU next Saturday. The CLT-SJU leg departs at 11:04 AM. The AA website seems to indicate that I'll get a meal, as Im going to the Caribbean on a flight well over 900 miles. And wouldn't 11:00 a to 2:53 p be lunch time? Why don't I have an option to pre-order a meal online? Is AA truly this stingy?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I'm in paid I going CMH-CLT-SJU next Saturday. The CLT-SJU leg departs at 11:04 AM. The AA website seems to indicate that I'll get a meal, as Im going to the Caribbean on a flight well over 900 miles. And wouldn't 11:00 a to 2:53 p be lunch time? Why don't I have an option to pre-order a meal online? Is AA truly this stingy?
LOL, you will have a choice of 1 or 2 cold options (think bland turkey sandwich or a salad/snack mix kind of thing). Same as pretty much every other domestic flight. AA hasn't brought back pre-order for 99% of domestic and short haul flights like this.

Take a look through the below thread to see what kind of gourmet treats you can expect:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-58.html
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:19 am

Noob Aadvantage partner award questions:

I have 2 x LHR-HKG-AKL returns in J booked for early 2022 on CX using aadvantage miles. Leaving aside whether NZ's covid restrictions will prevent me taking those flights at that point, my q is what happens if Cathay cancel the flights ? Do they notify AA and AA contacts me, or do I have to keep a constant watch ?

If I have to rebook for later in 2022 for any reason, will I likely be caught out by any changes to the AA partner award chart, or even the mooted complete removal of award charts ? Or would a change of dates staying on the same route with same carrier not cost me any further miles ?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:54 am

Hello. If AA changed the last part of my complex itinerary from BOS-LGA as following
OLD: AA 2162 from BOS-LGA 1-2.24pm
NEW: AA 2118 BOS-LGA 1.30-2.45pm
- Would this be considered as flight cancellation? I'm afraid that AA would refund if the schedule is changed more than 4 hours. Can I opt for a refund if I would not like to travel?
- I paid this with the ticket exchange (expired in June 2022) and money. Would it be possible to obtain it all back in cash in case of a refund?

Thank you so much in advance.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warberry
I have 2 x LHR-HKG-AKL returns in J booked for early 2022 on CX using aadvantage miles. Leaving aside whether NZ's covid restrictions will prevent me taking those flights at that point, my q is what happens if Cathay cancel the flights ? Do they notify AA and AA contacts me, or do I have to keep a constant watch ?

If I have to rebook for later in 2022 for any reason, will I likely be caught out by any changes to the AA partner award chart, or even the mooted complete removal of award charts ? Or would a change of dates staying on the same route with same carrier not cost me any further miles ?
If CX cancels a flight you will most likely get an email saying there's been a schedule change (from AA), although not always. It's always best to keep an eye on it yourself though.

As to rebooking, if you just change the dates of your existing award then you wouldn't be charged any additional miles (if there was a devaluation). It's only if you just canceled your existing award, redeposited the miles, and booked a brand new award that you'd be charged whatever the prevailing rate is at that time.
warberry likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:02 am

AA miles to Europe

Trying to book 2 business class o/w tickets using Alaska Airlines or American Airlines miles to Europe next fall. I have tried all AA hubs from the east coast to major European cities and either get British Airlines with very high charges and or an astronomical miles required. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best AA airport to Europe since we will purchase another ticket to our final destination Lisbon.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:14 am

Does AA frequently kill flights in the nearish future? I was looking to book a one way YUL to RIC on Dec 26. I figured I would wait and see what the Tuesday updates bring since only a few seats were booked. I was looking at a flight that left after 6pm. Now that flight is gone and the ones that remain are about $1000 more per person. If I use ITA Matrix even allowing the search to return flights without available seats all evening flights on the route are gone. Would AA really have killed the flight this close in time, or is it maybe just a glitch and I should wait a bit? I'm normally a DL flyer, last time I flew AA US Airways was a competitor.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by sailingman22
Trying to book 2 business class o/w tickets using Alaska Airlines or American Airlines miles to Europe next fall. I have tried all AA hubs from the east coast to major European cities and either get British Airlines with very high charges and or an astronomical miles required. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best AA airport to Europe since we will purchase another ticket to our final destination Lisbon.
Try the award map and put in your home airport, to anywhere in Europe and try the dates you are looking around at: https://www.aa.com/awardMap/home.do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.