Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Dec 30, 21, 6:01 pm
  #1  
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,951
Arrow NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022:
Ask AA newbie questions here -
N.B. flame-free thread


Last edited by JY1024; Jan 4, 22 at 7:03 pm
JDiver is offline  
Old Dec 31, 21, 2:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SEA
Programs: Back to 0
Posts: 1,876
Arrow NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

I'm thinking of upgrading my seat on GRU-DFW from a middle seat in the back of 777-200ER red-eye flight to MCE or Premium Economy.
For MCE, as I understand it, the upgrade does not come with any free checked bags--it is simply about getting added pitch and free wifi. Correct?
For Premium Economy, the difference appears to be 2x free checked bags, expedited check-in, and in-flight amenities--can I call in and upgrade? Can it be paid in miles or (very dusty) gift certificate or must it be credit card?

...and are the 777-200ER bulkheads (row 17 and exit row 26) as bad as Seatguru makes them out to be?

TIA
EkekoBWI is offline  
Old Jan 1, 22, 11:14 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 337
Arrow NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

I have OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold), and am looking to book a US domestic main-cabin award booking (booked via ba.com) using my BA Avios.
When setting up the booking it says I would have no checked luggage allowance for the JFK-MIA flight - I'm led to believe all award bookings on AA are hand-baggage only.

However, this page https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp seems to suggest that as a OWE, I'd have 3 checked bags free.

Could someone kindly confirm if I'll get free checked luggage for such a flight? Thanks
estate is offline  
Old Jan 1, 22, 11:33 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 27,028
Originally Posted by estate
I have OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold), and am looking to book a US domestic main-cabin award booking (booked via ba.com) using my BA Avios.
When setting up the booking it says I would have no checked luggage allowance for the JFK-MIA flight - I'm led to believe all award bookings on AA are hand-baggage only.

However, this page https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp seems to suggest that as a OWE, I'd have 3 checked bags free.

Could someone kindly confirm if I'll get free checked luggage for such a flight? Thanks
You will indeed get three free checked bags in Economy on AA, even though there is no free baggage included on AA Economy fares for non-status passengers. It is very different from BA's HBO policy.
estate and A96RGS like this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 22, 9:20 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Indo Jungle
Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Posts: 1,299
Is there a way to transfer 500 mile upgrades to others, other than having the check in agent do it? It is not possible to do from the kiosk in the airport, it only wanted me to buy them for my companion, while I had 86 of them available.
DeepUnderground is offline  
Old Jan 2, 22, 10:38 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 10,604
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Is there a way to transfer 500 mile upgrades to others, other than having the check in agent do it? It is not possible to do from the kiosk in the airport, it only wanted me to buy them for my companion, while I had 86 of them available.
No, you cannot transfer them from one account to another.
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Jan 2, 22, 2:33 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: AA PPro, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Is there a way to transfer 500 mile upgrades to others, other than having the check in agent do it? It is not possible to do from the kiosk in the airport, it only wanted me to buy them for my companion, while I had 86 of them available.
I am assuming your companion is flying on the same booking, has their own lower tier status, but none or not enough coupons? My understanding is if your companion has status the system will try to take 500 mile coupons from that companion's account. If the companion does not have status, they will come from YOUR account as sponsor.

This specifically happened to me and my daughter flying this past summer on the same PNR (she had gold status but 0 coupons and no one could explain why the system kept saying we didn't have enough coupons to upgrade when I had plenty in my account). In reading about it afterwards the best course of action would have been to remove my daughter's AAdvantage number from the booking (thus allowing me and my 500 mile coupons to sponsor her), and then request the missing miles after the flight for her account, or have the gate agent add back on the AAdvantage number after the upgrade cleared.
HiAperture is offline  
Old Jan 2, 22, 2:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Posts: 3,788
Originally Posted by estate
I have OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold), and am looking to book a US domestic main-cabin award booking (booked via ba.com) using my BA Avios.
When setting up the booking it says I would have no checked luggage allowance for the JFK-MIA flight - I'm led to believe all award bookings on AA are hand-baggage only.

However, this page https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp seems to suggest that as a OWE, I'd have 3 checked bags free.

Could someone kindly confirm if I'll get free checked luggage for such a flight? Thanks
It usually shows up as no free bags but the fee for the first three bags is $0 each. A subtle distinction.
estate likes this.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Jan 2, 22, 7:00 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DCA, IAD, BWI
Programs: AA (EXP), Accor (Plat), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), Hyatt (Discoverist)
Posts: 92
Not necessarily a newbie (just haven't posted in a long, long time) but feel I'd get flamed for this question. I've been PlatPro for the last few years and I recall at some point there was an exclusive email address for platpro (and subsequently all elite members) for customer service questions. I may be incorrectly remembering this and it may not exist but can anyone verify if these email addresses do exist (phone numbers as well)?

Thanks!
senatetalker33 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 22, 8:48 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 10,604
Originally Posted by senatetalker33
Not necessarily a newbie (just haven't posted in a long, long time) but feel I'd get flamed for this question. I've been PlatPro for the last few years and I recall at some point there was an exclusive email address for platpro (and subsequently all elite members) for customer service questions. I may be incorrectly remembering this and it may not exist but can anyone verify if these email addresses do exist (phone numbers as well)?

Thanks!
I think you are incorrectly remembering things. There has never been an elite only customer service email address or anything like that. For phone contacts you have the PLT Pro reservations number that will get you to the front of the queue but thats it.
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Jan 3, 22, 6:43 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Indo Jungle
Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Posts: 1,299
Originally Posted by HiAperture
I am assuming your companion is flying on the same booking, has their own lower tier status, but none or not enough coupons? My understanding is if your companion has status the system will try to take 500 mile coupons from that companion's account. If the companion does not have status, they will come from YOUR account as sponsor.

This specifically happened to me and my daughter flying this past summer on the same PNR (she had gold status but 0 coupons and no one could explain why the system kept saying we didn't have enough coupons to upgrade when I had plenty in my account). In reading about it afterwards the best course of action would have been to remove my daughter's AAdvantage number from the booking (thus allowing me and my 500 mile coupons to sponsor her), and then request the missing miles after the flight for her account, or have the gate agent add back on the AAdvantage number after the upgrade cleared.
Thanks this was exactly my situation as well. Sounds like the easiest way is to just check in manually and not bother with the Kiosk, which is what I do almost all of the time anyway. Only reason I tried is that there was a large family with complicated check in clogging the priority line. Of course, once I had failed at the Kiosk, several additional families had joined the priority line in the meantime.
HiAperture likes this.
DeepUnderground is offline  
Old Jan 3, 22, 11:18 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LAX/MXP
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 448
Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are $4800 (!!!!!) throughout the year. Looking specifically at September 2022.
s this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!
hyperspace is offline  
Old Jan 3, 22, 11:20 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 27,028
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are over $4k throughout the year. Is this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!
Are you seeing the same high fares at the JetBlue website for the JetBlue codeshares on AA metal?
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 22, 11:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LAX/MXP
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you seeing the same high fares at the JetBlue website for the JetBlue codeshares on AA metal?
Just tried the same search on JetBlue website and codeshares only show Economy fares available. Or am I missing something?


here's a screenshot from AA.com
hyperspace is offline  
Old Jan 3, 22, 11:59 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 13,627
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are $4800 (!!!!!) throughout the year. Looking specifically at September 2022.
s this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Just tried the same search on JetBlue website and codeshares only show Economy fares available. Or am I missing something?


here's a screenshot from AA.com
Just guessing but perhaps they have removed inventory in preparation for cancelling some of those flights due to the holiday weekend? I pulled up a few of the seat maps for 9/4 and on some flights, they don't even show business or first as an option, but then others show first and business class wide open. With quite a bit of time between now and then, I'd definitely wait and see if pricing gets better.

Last edited by wrp96; Jan 3, 22 at 1:26 pm
wrp96 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread